Apple Patents Ability to Take Long Distance Group Selfies

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has won a new patent that would allow for "synthetic group selfies," as mentioned by The Verge. Should this software be successfully developed, users would have the ability to take group selfies while not physically present with anyone.

Based on the patent application, it appears a user could invite others to take part in a group selfie, and the individuals would be arranged accordingly into the frame. The patent also describes a window that appears on the invited users' screens that prompts them to participate in the group selfie photo.

Once the desired users have accepted the invitation and are positioned in the frame, the group selfie options could include "still photos, stored video images, or live streaming images." These would allow for several different options for users when creating a synthetic selfie.

Although the idea of taking a group selfie seems fitting during uncertain times, The Verge notes that Apple first filed for the patent in 2018 and it was only recently granted. It is also worth mentioning that Apple files many patents, and only some of its granted patents ever make it to fruition.

Article Link: Apple Patents Ability to Take Long Distance Group Selfies

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202 and bb9

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
In a few more years, photoshopping images will be a thing of the past. Our cameras will do everything for us: correcting lighting and skin blemishes, adding friends and better clothing, changing backgrounds to more exciting places, and otherwise tuning the image for maximum likes on social media.

bb9

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2017

Apple has won a new patent that would allow for "synthetic group selfies," as mentioned by The Verge. Should this software be successfully developed, users would have the ability to take group selfies while not physically present with anyone.

Based on the patent application, it appears a user could invite others to take part in a group selfie, and the individuals would be arranged accordingly into the frame. The patent also describes a window that appears on the invited users' screens that prompts them to participate in the group selfie photo.

Once the desired users have accepted the invitation and are positioned in the frame, the group selfie options could include "still photos, stored video images, or live streaming images." These would allow for several different options for users when creating a synthetic selfie.

Although the idea of taking a group selfie seems fitting during uncertain times, The Verge notes that Apple first filed for the patent in 2018 and it was only recently granted. It is also worth mentioning that Apple files many patents, and only some of its granted patents ever make it to fruition.

Article Link: Apple Patents Ability to Take Long Distance Group Selfies
Cool 🙂

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I literally described this to a friend a few days ago as a "wouldn't it be good if...." It was her father's 70th birthday and they had to social distance due to COVID, and I said what if you could take a selfie of everyone separate but "merged" into one group selfie.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This sounds great !!

Me with the boys at the bar .

Wife : where are you ?
Me : at my brother’s house
Wife : send me a picture with your brother
Me : Brother I need your help , accept the invite .
success favours the prepared mind ;)

ps: background wallpaper needs to change so get one for the man cave of your brothers house first. If not returning home to the dog house drunk is not going to be favourable.

Syk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I'm not into selfies, dont even facetime but at keast they're starting to actual do something besides give you more megapixels...pretty sure my son and his gf would use this...I can see family members doing it also...at least during the new phase of it

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
a technical workaround for the world wide Plague where everyone wears a mask and stays 6 feet apart. It lets people pretend.

Reactions: Tekguy0

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
when technology and innovation is all about "the selfie"...

(rollseyes)
it is very useful especially in these such situation that quarantine and lockdown is in place. Makes the idea of being together possible.

will you say the same thing when mobile phone's innovation is all about what the phone looks like? What are the main uses of a phone? Communicate and Camera so it makes sense if manufacturers would want to focus on cameras, in this sense, selfie. If you're a selfie-hating person then stop buying phones with front cameras cause that's where it is mostly being used on. Deal with it or get over it.

Reactions: Tekguy0
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.