Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
So I, along with probably many others are annoyed that CVS and Rite Aid originally were able to take Apple Pay but now they have specifically disabled it to prevent us from using it. The only solution I have besides boycotting them all together, is to let them know that we will stop shopping at those places until they accept it again. So I ask all of you that are upset about them disabling it, to email them (both CVS, Rite Aid and any other store that does this), and tell them that you are outraged.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Its a business. They can do what they want. imo it's silly to not have a service available especially when your competitors use it. I don't shop much at CVS and Rite Aid because they are too high. I can get all my shopping done in one swoop somewhere else. Shoot my local pharmacy is cheaper.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
So I, along with probably many others are annoyed that CVS and Rite Aid originally were able to take Apple Pay but now they have specifically disabled it to prevent us from using it. The only solution I have besides boycotting them all together, is to let them know that we will stop shopping at those places until they accept it again. So I ask all of you that are upset about them disabling it, to email them (both CVS, Rite Aid and any other store that does this), and tell them that you are outraged.

Walmart, CVS, Target and others are moving towards adopting the CurrentC mobile payment system so they don't pay 2-3% on every transaction made by credit card. It makes no business sense for them to support Apple Pay.

Will CurrentC take off? I don't know. It's kind of clunky.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Walmart, CVS, Target and others are moving towards adopting the CurrentC mobile payment system so they don't pay 2-3% on every transaction made by credit card. It makes no business sense for them to support Apple Pay.

It makes no security sense for us to entrust them with our bank account info and lose getting cash back on our credit cards at the same time.

No thanks.

rman0726

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Attempt to pay with Apple pay. When it doesn't work, say, never mind and walk out of the store. Make it known that is the reason you are leaving. Also ask for directions to Walgreens.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Attempt to pay with Apple pay. When it doesn't work, say, never mind and walk out of the store. Make it known that is the reason you are leaving. Also ask for directions to Walgreens.

It sounds childish to do that, but it will give hard ammo to a retailer who is stuck in a 3 year exclusivity deal with MCX and might be having second thoughts. Walkouts cost.

If it happens to enough MCX retailers, enough times, they can go back to MCX, say they're losing sales and renegotiate their arrangement. And since the retailers are paying handsomely to be part-owners of the "MCX club", they'll have a leg to stand on.

Look after your customers - or someone else will. It's basic retailing that seems to have been forgotten by all these "big-name" retailers. Shocking really. They should be ashamed that card companies like Visa, MasterCard, et. al. are doing a better job of that.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

It makes sense if they are going to lose a lot of business by not supporting the payment. Why do you think a lot more businesses accept Amex despite the fact that amex charges more than the other cards and also is more likely to take the customer's side in a dispute (This is why Amex isn't as accepted as other cards but I've noticed over the years more and more stores are taking it including small, local stores). Because Amex has gotten so popular now they are losing out on business by not accepting it (and there are people who won't shop there if they don't take Amex).

It's also why you see more and more stores take credit cards, even small stores. It's very rare these days to find a cash only business (I know of one restaurant, a Pho place with cheap bowls of Pho). Because they lose too much business by not accepting them.

Otherwise, your argument would argue that you shouldn't see stores taking credit cards cause all the problems you mention about NFC pretty much are more the problems with accepting credit cards.

Now, they'll try to push people into using CurrentC in hopes that maybe at worst they'll pay less fees as maybe fewer less will use CCs. And at best be popular enough that they can start refusing CCs entirely (I doubt that will happen though unless they offer really good perks for CurrentC. And they're going to have some hurdles with CurrentC being way too much of a hassle to use to really take off and add the more security minded aren't going to like them wanting access to their bank accounts and worse, their SSN. Anyone smart will balk and not sign up for the SSN requirement alone. Crooks can do a lot worse with your SSN then they can with your CC number or even your bank number).

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown

Exactly - so I can just keep using my credit card. I think that is the crux of the issue. Will people switch from credit cards to "something else" in the CurrentC scenario. I personally am not too upset about their decision to not allow certain payment systems - I just dont know if that is enough to convince me to switch away from credit cards.

ELPresidente720

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I'm more likely to shop at Walgreens now than ever before. I love my technology and want to be able to use it, pure and simple. Having CurrentC forced on me limits my options and pisses me off.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
And I'm betting Target's already regretting signing up for MCX and is planning on getting onboard the Apple Pay train when their exclusivity agreement with MCX ends. :p

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
And I'm betting Target's already regretting signing up for MCX and is planning on getting onboard the Apple Pay train when their exclusivity agreement with MCX ends. :p

There is no doubt in my mind it's going to fail and these stores are just going to accept Apple Pay anyhow but whatever, let them try their little experiment.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I have a Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid all within 2 blocks of each other. I had to get some allergy medicine for son today and guess which store I decided to go to? Walgreens. I won't boycott the other stores, but if given the choice, I will take my business where I can use technology, I switched banks a number of years ago for the same reason because of mobile deposits. Technology influences my decisions.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have a Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid all within 2 blocks of each other. I had to get some allergy medicine for son today and guess which store I decided to go to? Walgreens. I won't boycott the other stores, but if given the choice, I will take my business where I can use technology, I switched banks a number of years ago for the same reason because of mobile deposits. Technology influences my decisions.

Almost exactly my case. Until last week, I usually favored CVS. Now all my shopping is going to Walgreens.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I'm a firm believer in merchants making it as easy and convenient as possible for me to give them money. Despite the fact I've never even tried Apple Pay, I'm annoyed they disabled it. In the past, I would have just chosen at random. Now I have a reason to favor one over the other. Lucky for me, across the street from every CVS is a Walgreens.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I'm going to move to Walgreens from CVS as a result of CVS disabling Apple Pay and Google Wallet. I sent an email to CVS expressing my feelings and told them I was moving on since they disabled nfc payments.

TN20

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Question here, what's to say the Apple doesn't allow them to put their App on their phones when they get their currentC or whatever it is called? Same thing with android phones? I am not sure if there is any law out there that would prevent that.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Question here, what's to say the Apple doesn't allow them to put their App on their phones when they get their currentC or whatever it is called? Same thing with android phones? I am not sure if there is any law out there that would prevent that.

CurrentC app is already in the (Apple) App store.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Of all the things to get outraged over--Apple Pay? Rite Aid is the cheapest drugstore in my neighborhood and they have a great rewards program. I'm not going to pay significantly more just to "show them". Do you think the low paid cashier runs to their manager in tears because you can't use Apple Pay?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.