Apple Pay and non-supported banks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Halamire, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Halamire macrumors regular

Halamire

How long before banks start supporting ApplePay because both my banks IUCU and Simple don't support ApplePay, kind of makes me want to switch banks now :(

2. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

I recommend USAA Federal Savings Bank. Outstanding, very customer-friendly. The USAA MasterCard is scheduled to work with Apple Pay on Nov 8th.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you try calling and asking them?
    They will know better than any of us here.
    Unless someone here works for those banks:)

4. Jman13 macrumors 68000

USAA is awesome, and I am so glad I have them, not only for banking but for insurance. However, you are aware it's only open to military and their families, right? Not everyone can just sign up.

5. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

There was a period where anyone COULD sign up, but USAA nixed that a little while back. Anyone who got an account before the sign ups closed is still a member, but new accounts can only be opened if you're in the military or a military family.

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The number of retailers that accept apple pay is so small that it doesn't make sense. I'd wait until a lot of retailers offer it. By then, more banks will offer it too. Especially if they think customers will base their banking decisions on Apple Pay.

7. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

I thought it opened up for banking only, but I thought the insurance remained for military and their families only.

----------

I can only recommend switching banks or putting pressure on your current banks to support Apple Pay.

8. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Yes, that is correct. But as far as I understand it, now even the banking is closed off to the general public.

9. Halamire thread starter macrumors regular

Halamire

See I was also thinking that, the only place where I'm at now is McDonald's that accepts ApplePay.
    Simple said they are working hard on getting onboard but the customer service rep couldn't give me an eta. As for IUCU she didn't know much about it. So I may wait, or just open up a Wells Fargo account.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's a chicken-or-egg situation though: How will banks know their customers want it if they aren't trying to use it?

And the list of places is a lot larger than you think. The list of retailers Apple shows are the high profile ones, but there are a lot of other places with NFC that work fine too.

11. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Download "master card nearby" - use that app to see what other places around you have an NFC enabled pay station. There's more than you would think.

12. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

I contacted my bank last week and ask them if they would support apple pay and they said sometime in November for sure. I wish it was sooner but at least they are working on it. Is it sad that if they said no I would switch to Bank of America?

13. Halamire thread starter macrumors regular

Halamire

It's not sad at all because like I said I'm half tempted to switch to Wells Fargo just to use it b

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

So you are going to change where you shop depending on if they accept Apple Pay or not?:rolleyes:

And you are going to change banks for Apple Pay?

Is this real?

15. Halamire thread starter macrumors regular

Halamire

Well I'm currently in Nebraska using an Indiana bank. Might just open a Wells Fargo account just to have a local bank.

16. goldnose macrumors member

Didn't Apple announce that 200 more banks have signed on? Did they ever say which ones?

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Wells Fargo has always been good to me. I was able to enter 5 credit and debit cards from Wells Fargo with no problem.

Their online banking is the best I have ever used.

18. Halamire thread starter macrumors regular

Halamire

My car loan is through Wells Fargo so I may open one up today

19. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

yeah, so what? It is his right to change banks if they don't offer the services he wants.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Thanks for that information.

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm not sure the list has been published.

Also remember, just because a bank (or store chain) has "signed on" doesn't mean they're ready just yet. :cool:

Just as Rome wasn't built in a day, I expect Apple Pay (if it takes off) will be more of a gradual market adoption over weeks or months as retailers prepare for the Oct 2015 EMV liability shift deadline.

22. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

It's also a great excuse to look for a BETTER bank. I left Regions for PNC because Regions didn't - at the time - appear to support Apple Pay. When I checked out PNC, I found that they were a much better bank overall - none of the fees that Regions had been charging me, and a superb "Virtual Wallet" system that is awesome.

Of course, after I switched, moved direct deposit, and changed all my bills over then Regions was announced as one of the "Gang of 500" the other day.. Had I known they would be supporting it, I likely wouldn't have switched, and wouldn't have known how much I preferred PNC. So, thanks Apple! :D

----------

Here's a good list:

http://usa.visa.com/clients-partners/technology-and-innovation/apple-pay/financial-institutions/index.jsp

23. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

Out of 8 cards only my capital one card was accepted I guess I'll just wait

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

25. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

8 cards Yikes :)

My local CU is not on board yet but I am sure they have top people working on it....... TOP PEOPLE