Apple Pay and required TouchID on entire phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jjk454ss, Oct 21, 2014.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Is it just me, or does anyone else which you could use Apple Pay without having to lock your entire phone. Why can't Apple just secure that part? I hate having to lock my entire phone just to be able to use Apple Pay. I'd like to be able to do other things, phone calls, email, web without having to unlock my phone with TouchID or a passcode every time.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why not just lock your phone? I never used a passcode before I got my iPhone 6, but with TouchID, I don't even realize my phone is locked when I go to use it because it works so well.

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I might get used to it, but I'll have to try. I'm just used to not needing it so it drives me cazy:D. I'll try it for a while and see if I get used to it.

4. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

I miss the days of not having passwords on everything I touch; sadly, those days are over. Understand the gripe but you may as well learn to adapt. I don't see it going the other direction anytime soon. In fact, you may even want to brace yourself for two factor authentication.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Same here. TouchID is way faster than slide to unlock without a passcode. I take it out of my pocket (upside down with my thumb on the TouchID) and it's already unlocked by the time I see the screen.

6. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Yeah, I understand, but I'd rather do it on an app by app basis so I can do simple things without the need to unlock each time.

7. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

Some apps do that now. i.e. Without a phone password, find my friends requires a login. I'd rather have it go the other way. Once I've logged in to my phone, all apps are unlocked.

8. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Yeah, I get that too. I hate to enter a separate password for each app. I didn't know certain Apple apps did this, it would be great if any apps could do that. If you need your passcode to unlock your phone it would be great not yo login to any apps anymore, then it would be worthwhile.

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You definitely should get into the habit of locking the phone, especially with your emails and contacts sitting right there. However, the plus side is, Touch ID is much easier than slide to unlock, all you have to do press on the home button to wake the screen, leave your finger there for a millisecond more, and you're in. Vs. Pressing home button, then sliding.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yes this has been talked about before and it's what keeping some of us from using Apple Pay. I wish I can use TouchID just for Apple Pay and continue using my phone without a password or touchid.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Its stupid to have an unlocked phone.

I see nothing wrong with this policy.

12. woodynorman macrumors 6502

Maybe the OP is doing it wrong??

I don't not use TouchID to unlock my phone. It's just not reliable enough for me to use a hundred times a day.

I just made a purchase today at Walgreens using ApplePay and TouchID. I didn't change any settings on my phone to do it.

13. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

So you use Applepay, but you don't have a passcode on your phone?

14. woodynorman macrumors 6502

See my above post ^^

I am using TouchID just for iTunes and ApplePay, but not to lock my phone.

----------

Yes, Nope

15. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

i wake my phone with the home button, and it unlocks faster than swiping 9 times out of 10

16. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Not seeing how I can do that

----------

I'm finding that the more I get used to it, it is very fast. It's just going to take some getting used to.

17. Squeak825 macrumors regular

Go under Settings->TouchID and turn off "Use Touch ID for...iPhone Unlock"

18. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Then you have to enter a passcode which is worse.

19. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Interesting. Thanks

20. woodynorman macrumors 6502

21. Squeak825 macrumors regular

Why? Just remove the passcode as well?

If you have a profile that requires one, then set it to have to enter it only once after 15 minutes.

22. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I seriously don't understand people who own a touch ID equipped phone and don't use it. I am not being rude or anything I really do not understand it, it is a terrific feature that lets me have security but also the convenience to never have to swipe to unlock again. I get into my phone way faster than swiping and I have to re scan maybe 1 out of 20-25 times.

23. crmcm macrumors member

I have the same problem. I would love to use touch iD to unlock my phone if it was working more than 1/2 the time, so I just leave my phone unlocked. Any apps that have important info have their own passwords anyways. I'm not paranoid enough to type a passcode every time. People are free to go on and on about how stupid I am, but if my phone gets stolen it's ultimately my problem, not theirs. Hopefully apple changes this so we can we can use touch iD for purchases independently.

24. jjk454ss, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Then it tells you it will delete your saved credit cards

[​IMG]

25. crmcm macrumors member

In my case, touch iD just won't work sometimes. If I'm out walking in the heat and my hand gets even a little sweaty or oily, it doesn't work at all. I went to apple with this issue and they had no idea. I tried with other phones and some of them wouldn't even let me set up touch ID because they couldn't read my fingers.