Apple Pay at McDonald's - broke?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mozartwon, May 26, 2015.

1. mozartwon macrumors member

I tried using my Apple Watch at McDonald's today. This is my first use since the update (pre update Apple Pay with watch worked fine). Anyone else have a problem with this?

2. Speedman100 macrumors 6502

Speedman100

I used it a few times before the update and it worked. Haven't tried it since the update.

3. BravoRomeoHotel macrumors member

It's worked at McDonald's, Pantera, and Subway since the update. For me at least

----------

Panera*

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Just used Apple Pay today at McDonalds with update. Worked fine.

5. jmh286 macrumors member

jmh286

I used it over the weekend at Express. Worked fine for me

6. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I rarely eat McDonald's, but we stopped there for water this weekend (and a couple weeks ago, I got a smoothie from there)... worked neither time. This is from the drive thru. Hell, it wouldn't even work from my iPhone.

I think their terminals just suck.

7. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I used it at Express on Saturday. Worked fine for me.

8. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

What's up with everyone eating at McyD's . So bad for you, you'll need a new bigger watch band soon... ;)

9. usarioclave macrumors 65816

I was in there the other day with my kids, and their sirloin bacon cheeseburger was surprisingly good. And apple pay worked fine.

10. Tomloes macrumors member

Do they still sell apple pies at McD? That'd be pretty sweet to buy an apple pie with apple pay.

11. melman101 macrumors 68030

Yes they do. And sometimes a specialty pie as well.

12. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I've used it at McDonalds, Panera and Trader Joe's since the update.

13. Subdiv macrumors 6502

At first I thought this thread was asking people if they went broke using Apple pay at McDonalds...

14. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Home Depot normally works, but didn't work for me today. It didn't with my phone either. On the way home after, I thought of this thread, and stopped at McD's to get a Coke. It dinged like it worked, but the cashier said it didn't go through. We started the transaction over, and it worked the 2nd time.

Maybe there's something up with Pay in general? It worked, but 1 of 3 times that I tried it today.

15. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

MC'ds is no worse that eating at a 5star restaurant. it all come down to what you order and how often you eat it.

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Little known fact; if you enter a McDonald's wearing an :apple:Watch, your fitness progress for the week resets to zero.

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Home Depot is turning off their NFC I thought I read.

18. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I got breakfast at McDonalds A few days ago and it worked fine.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The only trouble I've had is when the cashier has almost no clue what I'm doing. This is mainly in the drive-thru. At the counter the terminal is just there for you to use. But at they drive-thru they have to pull the terminal down and let you scan it. One guy thought taking my phone is what would make it work. Sigh.

The best use I saw was at a random Wendy's that had an NFC scanner mounted outside the building. Once Samsung's version of this takes off, it would really be nice for drive-thru businesses to start adopting these.

Also, I'm really sick of businesses still making me sign something after using Apple Pay. I guarantee you my thumbprint is more secure than the scribble that ends up at the end of a stylus.

20. srshaw macrumors 6502

I love McDonalds, I know I shouldn't. Sorry for the irrelevant post, we can't even try Apple pay yet in the UK. Out of interest though is Apple Pay the only contact less payment in the U.S.? When I visited last year everywhere seemed signature only, and I managed to get my card ripped off, presumably when a waitress took it. Anyway I believe we will get Apple Pay at some point so looking forward to paying for McDonalds with my watch, very futuristic.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Nope. Google has Google Wallet, which has been around for a few years but hasn't been used much. Samsung is rolling out its own payment system literally called S Pay because Samsung. I think there's another one that used to be called Isis and for some totally unknown, cray cray reason changed its name to Softcard.

More and more stores are beginning to accept contactless payments. The vending machines at work just started accepting them and credit cards a week or so ago. I think merchant support will slowly increase as everybody upgrades their POS hardware to accept chip and PIN cards later this year. After a few bad data breaches, the banks over here are finally being forced to catch up with sanity.

The problems that remain are still not all banks seem to be aboard -- my credit union is lagging like crazy, which should be expected I guess since their mobile app hasn't been stylized for iOS 7. But even worse is despite the long list of stores that accept Apple Pay, McDonald's is really the only one that has an extremely high volume of transactions. You've got big stores like Macy's on the list, but there isn't a Macy's around every corner.

What will really push contactless into the mainstream is when major grocery stores, Walmart and Target start accepting contactless payments. Those are the type of stores where I make most of my transactions. Some other food chains like Burger King, Wendy's and Chick-fil-A would help, as well as more gas stations. But grocery, Walmart and Target will be the tipping point.

Also I'm hoping a future update will allow us to use cards like the Starbucks gold card for contactless payments. I haven't had to carry my actual card with me in forever thanks to Passbook. But contactless would be much easier than hoping the sun isn't making the barcode too hard to read.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I got behind someone in the register line at HD yesterday, they had a basket full of cr^p. Needless to say Apple Pay did not work and we sat there while the customer had a melt down and started raising hell!

After a few minutes he pulled out a credit card and it was declined! LOL!

Someone at HD is going to have to put all that cr^p back on the shelves!

23. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Bastards! It seems that is the trend more-so than starting to use NFC.
    I fear Apple Pay sputter out… Hope I'm wrong, but it seems like that's coming.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I think by the end of this year all US retailers must be "chip" ready of risk paying for the fraud themselves. I can not see NFC going away unless they are having a problem and that should be fixed.

25. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

That was you behind me?? :eek: lol