Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nathanalf

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Wisconsin
Does the 5s have nfc?

Nope. The 6 & 6 Plus are the only phones that have it. Apple Watch will also include NFC and Apple Pay functionality, and they have said that you need to have a 4S or newer to use the watch. So the 4S, 5 and 5S can all theoretically use Apple Pay as long as they also have an Apple Watch.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Sounds complicated. I assume you can since on the 5s the Passbook app is updated with a credit card icon.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I guess we'll find out in the coming days.

Nope. The 6 & 6 Plus are the only phones that have it. Apple Watch will also include NFC and Apple Pay functionality, and they have said that you need to have a 4S or newer to use the watch. So the 4S, 5 and 5S can all theoretically use Apple Pay as long as they also have an Apple Watch.

Slight correction, 4s is not supported. You need a 5 or newer to work with Apple Watch.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
You have to have the watch to use it? That's weird. That's expensive. So what do you do, do have to have the watch on and that's it? It will pick up the signal?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Potentially. The 5s does not have NFC so it could not make payments in stores, however, it does have Touch ID and could make payments within apps.
I'd be very surprised if the 5S allowed you to enroll cards in Passbook, since it has no Secure Element (which is where the 6 stores the card token and the key for generating one-time codes).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.