Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple released iOS 11.2 early in order to address a serious date bug that was affecting some users on December 2, and while the update introduced Apple Pay Cash, the feature was not yet activated by Apple.

Because it wasn't activated, Apple Pay Cash was not usable, despite being listed as a feature in the update's release notes. Apple today made Apple Pay Cash officially available in the United States, so it can be used by all iPhone and iPad owners who have iOS 11.2 installed. Apple Pay Cash is just now rolling out, so it may take a bit of time before it's fully functional and available for everyone.

Apple Pay Cash is Apple's new peer-to-peer payments service, designed to allow for quick person-to-person money transfers, much like Square Cash or Venmo. The service is currently limited to the United States.

Using Apple Pay Cash, you can send and receive money through iMessage conversations using the Messages app. Cash is sent from a linked debit or credit card, while received cash is stored in an Apple Pay Cash card in the Wallet app and can be used for purchases or transferred to a bank account. For more on Apple Pay Cash, make sure to check out our how to.

Apple Pay Cash will also be available on the Apple Watch once watchOS 4.2 has been installed, and we're expecting to see watchOS 4.2 later this week.

Article Link: Apple Pay Cash Now Available for iOS 11.2 Users

djon41

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
I can see the toggle in Wallet & Apple Pay settings, but keep getting an 'Apple Pay services are unavailable error' when trying to turn it on.

Reactions: ajfahey and jjm3

Suspended
Jun 2, 2017
At least you guys in the US will get it eventually. Pretty sure it's going to be a while before it hits Singapore shore.

Reactions: Ntombi

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
It's been available and set up for me for a while because I run beta releases, but honestly I'm not sure how much I'll really use this. (Friend group predominantly uses Venmo and Google Wallet.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.