Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raybob

macrumors member
May 12, 2017
Los Angeles
My two minor children (teenagers aged 14 and 17) have Apple Pay already setup on their iPhones, connected to their own standard bank debit cards (through USAA with Visa logo). Will they be able to use the new Apple Pay Cash feature?

Apple Pay Cash became available on my iPhone last night, I proceeded with setup & approval process for the Apple Pay Cash Card (asked for my SS# and Date of Birth). I read through the terms and conditions and understand the requirements, including having a linked debit card, two-factor authentication, an eligible Apple ID and device, and it says "being 18 years old or older".

Will this be the same setup for them? And if so, will such a “credit check” work using their socials and dates of birth if they are less than 18? If not, could I use my social and DOB to get Apple Cash Pay Cards active on their phones, then just transfer money using their debit cards?

I don’t think they use your social to do a credit Check but just to verify your Identity and if I’m not mistaken, they check it against your bank account information.
So if your children’s cards are in their name only and you don’t have your name attached to their accounts it may not work but you may want to check with your bank if joint accounts work in this situation.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It didn't show up for me at all yesterday. And today when I attempted to set it up, I got a message box that said simply, "Apple Pay Cash is unavailable".

raybob

macrumors member
May 12, 2017
Los Angeles
I’ve been using square cash and am very happy with the service.

The difference here with Apple Pay is convenience. With square cash you had to ask your friends download the app and verify their identity on the spot for a Check split (let’s say in a restaurant) but in apple’s case, Apple will eventually have every Apple user get set up on Apple Pay cash through pop ups they send to every user and will have people using it through ads.
That to me makes a big difference.

Reactions: the johnmc

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I still can’t set it up. Don’t really want to log out of iCloud and back in, still holding out for a real actual fix.

Don't log back in or out. Just let the servers catch up and it'll appear later today.
[doublepost=1512498951][/doublepost]
Thank goodness this came out versus iMessage in the cloud. This is just far more useful as there arent really any mobile payment platforms available for iPhone users right now /s

I'd argue that there's a far larger potential base of users with iPhones and debit/credit cards than there are Mac users who feel a critical need to have synced text messages on their computer.

the johnmc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
iPhone: 38.551970,-121.698453
“Apple Pay Cash allows for quick person-to-person money transfers, much like competing services Square Cash and Venmo.”
Except it’s only for iOS users. Which is really lame! It’s almost 2018, and Apple is rolling out features that are so late to the tech game, and very limited.

Lame in your opinion. Useful for me. For example, going out to lunch with coworkers and splitting the bill. 3/4 of the department have iPhones, as well as most of the others who would be joining us. We already use iMessage to communicate and all use Apple Pay.

kwclr

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2017
I don’t think they use your social to do a credit Check but just to verify your Identity and if I’m not mistaken, they check it against your bank account information.
So if your children’s cards are in their name only and you don’t have your name attached to their accounts it may not work but you may want to check with your bank if joint accounts work in this situation.

Thanks for that. I'll see what happens later today when I try to activate cards on their phones. Incidentally I did receive an Experian Credit alert this morning after activating Apple Pay Cash last night for myself, so I think there is possibly a credit check that occurs during the process. Anyone else see that?

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Stupid P2P Apple Pay (to me). I personally do not want that cash transfer capability configured on my phone.

Yet, the feature turned-on automatically, requiring a manual operation to opt-out.
Is this by design?

Settings > Wallet & Apple-Pay > Apple Pay Cash = OFF
[default = ON]

Default should be OFF.

Why should it default to off? Because you don't want to use it, it should be harder for others to access?

raybob

macrumors member
May 12, 2017
Los Angeles
Thanks for that. I'll see what happens later today when I try to activate cards on their phones. Incidentally I did receive an Experian Credit alert this morning after activating Apple Pay Cash last night for myself, so I think there is possibly a credit check that occurs during the process. Anyone else see that?

Haven’t checked myself but a soft pull is possible but in that case, they may not check with you bank then since they did it once when setting up Apple Pay originally.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Stupid P2P Apple Pay (to me). I personally do not want that cash transfer capability configured on my phone.

Yet, the feature turned-on automatically, requiring a manual operation to opt-out.
Is this by design?

Settings > Wallet & Apple-Pay > Apple Pay Cash = OFF
[default = ON]

Default should be OFF.
Just don’t set it up. If you never add a debit card you’re good.

Reactions: WestCoastCommodore

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Just wait until the cops get a hold of your iPhone and grab your face to unlock it, all while you're cuffed waiting to be shipped off to the cop shop. Can you imagine how civil forfeiture will run amuck here? The cops need some donations for those shiny military vehicles to come to your aid.

Reactions: andrew12

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Has anyone been able to confirm who pays the 3% credit card fee? For example, to receive money through Paypal the fees are paid by the receiving party. With Apple Pay cash, if I send someone $20, do I get charged the 3% fee and the receiving party gets the entire $20?
Sender pays the fee. If I send $10 to someone and choose to fund with CC, you are actually charged $10.30 to your CC...person who gets cash, gets the $10.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
No credit check at all with this. SS is used for no other reason than to verify identity.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I think it will be. Someone else also quoted that message and said the same thing. It’s like taking cash from an ATM using your credit card. The interest will apply as soon as you send the money.
It’s a charge, not cash advance. No different than buying a pair of shorts from the store. Will be handled that exact same way.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Lame in your opinion. Useful for me. For example, going out to lunch with coworkers and splitting the bill. 3/4 of the department have iPhones, as well as most of the others who would be joining us. We already use iMessage to communicate and all use Apple Pay.
Well it's lame in my opinion as well, how's that? At least with iMessage it will default to SMS if some in your crowd are not - Heaven forbid - iOS users.

Everyone's got their own message app, everyone's got their own payment system. We're pretty lousy at standards in the US (read: greed) when Europe and Asia seem to have their act together.

I am an iOS user, and sick and tired of Apple Pay not accepted virtually everywhere I go (except Subway), but Samsung Pay works in MOST places. It's ridiculous, and driven by nothing but greed. Not technology - GREED.

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
I am an iOS user, and sick and tired of Apple Pay not accepted virtually everywhere I go (except Subway), but Samsung Pay works in MOST places. It's ridiculous, and driven by nothing but greed. Not technology - GREED.

So what's stopping you from inventing your own system that you could distribute for free for all these places to use?

And, um, greed is the only reason that any of this technology even exists.

asopublic

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
Can I send money to myself if I choose to do it that way. To put something on it.
Nope-I was going to send myself $1K as a neuroscience/behavioral economics experiment to see how it affected my mood, but you can’t. You can load it with your debit card fee free

Reactions: Douglas B
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.