Apple Pay 'Coming Soon' to The Netherlands, Says Dutch Bank ING [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 1, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Pay is "coming soon" to The Netherlands, according to the Dutch bank ING. A teaser announcement on the bank's regional website, spotted by iPhoned.nl and iCulture.nl, revealed the news this morning.

[​IMG]

The short press release doesn't give a launch date, and instead advises customers to keep an eye on the site and the bank's social media accounts to stay informed about the imminent arrival of Apple Pay in the country. Users of the ING mobile banking app can also expect to receive a message letting them know when they will be able to their add bank card to Apple's secure digital wallet for use on iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac.

The Netherlands has waited a long time for Apple Pay. There were rumors in 2017 that Apple's mobile payment system would arrive in the country later the same year, but the launch failed to materialize and we've heard very little about it since. Meanwhile, Apple Pay went live in bordering countries Germany and Belgium in late 2018.

Apple Pay first launched in the United States in October 2014 and is also available in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland, France, Japan, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Russia, New Zealand, Brazil, Poland, Ireland, Ukraine, and the United Arab Emirates.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said in March that Apple Pay will be available in more than 40 countries and regions by the end of 2019.

Update: Portuguese bank Crédito Agrícola also recently announced that Apple Pay is coming soon. Hat-tip to MacRumors reader Rúben Antunes.

[​IMG]

Update 2: The Apple Pay page for The Netherlands is now live and says the service will be available soon in the country.

Article Link: Apple Pay 'Coming Soon' to The Netherlands, Says Dutch Bank ING [Updated]

2. Aaargh! macrumors member

Aaargh!

Finally!

Hopefully this puts pressure on all other banks to follow suit, otherwise I'm moving all my accounts to ING.

3. kgelner macrumors member

I'm a little confused as to what this means exactly, as I just used ApplePay over this last weekend in Amsterdam to pay for bus and train tickets, along with meals at restaurants and items at various stores... indeed I was pretty happy I had that set up as the few times I tried my American credit cards in readers they would not work!

EDIT: I guess this means ING will be the first Amsterdam based bank to support this, so the terminals already all support ApplePay but residents with local bank accounts could not use it to date. I left up my post as I thought others should know if you travel there ApplePay is already fine. :)

4. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

Means that Dutch folk with an ing account at least, will be able to set up Apple Pay. It doesn’t mean that suddenly a country turns on Apple Pay so visitors from foreign places can use their Apple Pay there. (I expect there will be other Apple Pay supporting entrants there besides ing.)

5. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Hopefully ING gets their act together and brings it to Germany soon as well.

6. krazzix macrumors member

krazzix

YES! Now I only need public transit checkin enabled for iPhone and a digital drivers license, and then I will buy a new iPhone and ditch the wallet case.

7. gixxerfool macrumors 65816

gixxerfool

I was thinking the same thing as you. I just got back myself and had no issues with it. Your explanation makes sense.

8. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

Meanwhile here in Sweden, we officially have Apple Pay, but I really don’t like the single real bank that actually supports it. For some reason everybody went with Samsung Pay a couple of years ago, and all is quiet on the Apple Pay front...

9. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

Congrats my Dutch frienderinos! Let’s hope ING Australia adds Apple Pay too.

10. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Already did that years ago lol, ING usually beats all other banks when it comes to tech. TouchID support, Apple Watch support, apps that actually work... (looking at you, Rabobank).

11. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

YASSS, finally!!! Still don't understand why a developed country like the Netherlands, especially in the area of contactless payments, has had to wait so long to get Apple Pay. Even Belgium, where - as far as I have experienced - contactless payments aren't so mainstream, got Apple Pay sooner. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me.

But good to see that our little country is finally catching up. Even though I have been using Bunq as a workaround to get Apple Pay here, I'm looking forward using it with ING as well. :D

12. timmeaney macrumors newbie

This is crazy. I just landed in Amsterdam this morning and have used it twice. I used it last fall when I was here as well.

13. DeltaSVO macrumors newbie

Perhaps because Apple charges per transaction. My guess is that Samsung Pay doesn't?

14. Arruda83 macrumors newbie

You didn't list it, but Apple Pay is also available here in Norway - even though the biggest bank (DNB) chose not to support it.

15. Huubster macrumors regular

Huubster

It took longer than I expected, but I’m not surprised that ING buys into this first. IMHO ING in the Netherlands has the best digital products by a large margin compared to other Dutch banks.
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2019 ---
    Apple Pay is perfectly accepted in the Netherlands as a payment option, there just weren’t any Dutch banks who supported it with their bank cards.

16. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Well if you just landed here you must be an authority on the subject. ;)

Anyway, it's about using Apple Pay with a Dutch bank and bank account. ING in this case. So far the we haven't been able to. For a short while there was a workaround through Bunq but they shut it down.

17. basj macrumors newbie

That is probably unnecessary with the new PSD2 regulations?

18. GroningenNL macrumors member

GroningenNL

Finally a Dutch bank is going to supports Apple Pay, i have a ING bank account.

19. basj macrumors newbie

Because our little country innovated decades ago. Just like we have real time inter bank transactions already, we have had wireless payments for a long time. Banks had already invested in other technology that they will not just throw out the door to please Tim and his followers...

20. andyjam macrumors regular

ING Australia has offered Apple Pay for years, it’s my primary way of paying for stuff now.

21. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

Ohhh, I got them mixed up with Bankwest. They’re both orange lmao.

22. DanielFeo macrumors newbie

23. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

They’re listed on the Australian Apple Pay as supporting it and have been for ages. Much before commonwealth took it up.
    Bankwest also listed.

24. rmoliv, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019

rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Why don’t they provide a damn date? I’m fed up of not knowing exactly when things are getting launched. Later this year, in fall, next year, coming soon, for ****’s sake, stop it Apple!!!
    This Portuguese bank Crédito Agrícola announced it back on April 15th and I’m still waiting... DISGUSTING BEHAVIOR towards customers.

[​IMG]

25. Geert76 macrumors 68000

nope, they didn't. A week ago activated on my new iPhone and Apple Watch Series 4 via the ''bunq method''.