Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Pay Coming to Finland, Denmark, Sweden and UAE Later This Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to expand Apple Pay to Finland, Denmark, Sweden, and United Arab Emirates before the end of the calendar year, the company announced in today's third quarter earnings call. No specific information was provided on a potential launch date, beyond the announcement that it's coming later in the year.

Apple doesn't appear to have established Apple Pay web pages for the four countries, something that typically happens as it prepares for an Apple Pay launch.

Over the course of the last few years, Apple has been working "rapidly" to expand Apple Pay to additional countries, and it is now available in the U.S., UK, China, Australia, Canada, Switzerland, France, Hong Kong, Russia, Singapore, Japan, New Zealand, Spain, Italy, Taiwan, and Ireland.

Along with Sweden and Finland, rumors suggest Apple is also working to bring Apple Pay to Belgium, South Korea, Germany, and Ukraine.

Article Link: Apple Pay Coming to Finland, Denmark, Sweden and UAE Later This Year

QuiteSharp

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2012
Finally!

Denmark was also mentioned, maybe should update the news article?

Reactions: xDKP
Comment

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
Tim Cook did a talk in Dublin last year saying Apple Pay is coming to Ireland by the end of the year. It didn't, after he personally said it would be. It only launched a short while ago (2 months or something at this point). Even then, only the smallest banks not even the mains ones in the country. I'm still waiting to use it because my bank won't implement it - by the way it's the biggest bank in the country. So ye, I wouldn't hold my breath in those countries. It will more likely be next year. It's not really up to Apple is seems, it's up the bank and what returns / what's in it for them. If they don't like it, you won't get it.

Comment

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
“Apple doesn't appear to have established Apple Pay web pages for the two countries, something that typically happens as it prepares for an Apple Pay launch.“

Maybe they fired the person who kept hitting the “publish to internet” button too soon! LoL.
[doublepost=1501624567][/doublepost]Switzerland just barely has AP given that it is being obstructed/boycotted by a cartel of the top Swiss banks.

Comment

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Nice with Apple Pay in Denmark. But we already have contactless credit cards without pincode (on small transactions < 200 DKK). Also we have mobile payments where you can pay directly from your lock screen.

But always happy to be able to pay with my watch.

Reactions: Banan911 and xDKP
Comment

pelowj

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
Éire
Tim Cook did a talk in Dublin last year saying Apple Pay is coming to Ireland by the end of the year. It didn't, after he personally said it would be. It only launched a short while ago (2 months or something at this point). Even then, only the smallest banks not even the mains ones in the country. I'm still waiting to use it because my bank won't implement it - by the way it's the biggest bank in the country. So ye, I wouldn't hold my breath in those countries. It will more likely be next year. It's not really up to Apple is seems, it's up the bank and what returns / what's in it for them. If they don't like it, you won't get it.

It’s been in Ireland since March (4 months ago). AIB are Ireland’s biggest bank and they got it last month...
[doublepost=1501630356][/doublepost]I don’t know why they’d bother launching in Sweden... I was there last month and contactless is almost NOWHERE. Worst I’ve seen in any country in EU in about 2/3 years. Had to go back and dig my card out of my suitcase after a while.

Reactions: bkrbyndr
Comment

Aston441

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I am going to say this in every Apple Pay thread and I don't care how often I repeat myself:

WE NEED APPLE PAY ON THE GAS PUMPS

Comment

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Whoa! I've genuinely had Apple Pay in Finland in the "Not going to happen" category for quite a while now, but this is something where I love being wrong. So it looks like I'll be keeping my iPhone 7 for a little longer to try it out and compare it to my bank's Android-based solution I'm actively using pretty much every day.

Reactions: szoszk
Comment

-Maxim-

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
I am going to say this in every Apple Pay thread and I don't care how often I repeat myself:

WE NEED APPLE PAY ON THE GAS PUMPS

You wanted to say: (SUPER-) CHARGER for your electric car. Why bother to invest in ancient technology ;):p

Reactions: szoszk
Comment

xDKP

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Nice with Apple Pay in Denmark. But we already have contactless credit cards without pincode (on small transactions < 200 DKK). Also we have mobile payments where you can pay directly from your lock screen.

But always happy to be able to pay with my watch.

Mobile payments from lockscreen? The contactless cards are nice though, but would still be awesome to pick something up from the store on my way back of a run with my watch - Today it's close to possible with MobilePay with my iPhone but still

EDIT: Just saw I missed a location setting - Pretty nice

Comment

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
I don’t know why they’d bother launching in Sweden... I was there last month and contactless is almost NOWHERE. Worst I’ve seen in any country in EU in about 2/3 years. Had to go back and dig my card out of my suitcase after a while.

It's coming. A year or so ago come of the banks started to issue contactless cards, and I've been noticing contactless terminals pop up more and more over the past few months. Of course, it's nowhere near the level of countries where contactless is strongly entrenched (like the UK), but at the current rate I think we'll be there in a couple or years or so.

Reactions: Strutten
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.