Apple Pay Confusion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blorzoga, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I'm confused. Apple announced that the three major credit card processors, AMEX, VISA and MasterCard are all onboard with ApplePay. They then say that they've signed up x number of banks also. So, does the fact that my bank issued me a Visa debit card not necessarily mean that it will work on ApplePay? Does my bank also have to participate, or will the participation just be done through VISA?

2. Munitalp macrumors 65816

The bank participation likely adds the ability to use debit cards… but I would think you could still use a Visa credit card issued by a non-participating bank.

3. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

No, it's dependent on the card issuer. So you can have Visa cards (debit with a credit logo or just a straight up credit card) through BofA, Chase, and a local credit union. If BofA and Chase support Apple Pay, you can add them to your phone. If your credit union doesn't support Apple Pay, you won't be able to use that card until they do.

Another example is American Express. AE issues their own cards, and if you get one directly through AE, it'll work. But some banks also issue AE branded cards, and that bank has to be participating in order for those to work.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I would think it does not matter if the card was debit or credit. It should work just the same if your bank approves Apple Pay.

5. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

If it's credit, Visa/MC/AMEX get a fee. Debit, it all goes to the bank. Thats why stores usually prefer you make the transaction as Debit. (Also I think they get paid quicker).

6. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

My CU issues Visa branded debit cards but they are not participating in Apple Pay at this time. So no AP for me at this time. My Chase CC would work but I never use it.

7. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Yeah I still don't get it. Apple says they support Visa, MC and Amex. I bank with KeyBank that isn't listed but I have a MC debit card through them, should it work since it's MC?

8. Oridus macrumors 6502a

They're just saying that they'll support all three major types IF the issuing bank is on board. If Apple said, "Apple Pay will work with ONLY Visa, Amex, and Mastercard, but no Discover", then even if your issuing bank works with Apple Pay, their Disover branded cards wouldn't work.

Long story short, if it's a Visa, MasterCard, Amex or Discover, and your issuing bank / credit card merchant is on board, you'll be able to use it. If your bank isn't on board, you're SOL at this point in time.

9. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Got it thanks.

10. deeddawg, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

deeddawg macrumors 604

11. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

I have a PayPal MasterCard, I wonder if Apple Pay will support it lol...

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's not because it's quicker.
    They all process and deposit to the merchants account the same time.
    But debit card transactions cost way less to the retailer than credit card payments.

13. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Not yet, and doesn't look promising for the immediate future. Apparently PayPal struck a deal with Samsung, and Apple didn't like that.