Apple Pay Could Launch in Germany as Early as Next Month

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 11, 2017 at 7:12 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Hints about when Apple Pay is coming to Germany have been few and far between over the last year, with negotiations between Apple and German banks allegedly stalling due to conflicting views over fees and controls.

The last rumor came back in May and suggested that Apple Pay would launch in the country in the fall or winter, but today one MacRumors reader provided us with another potential hint that Apple is gearing up to introduce its mobile payment system in Germany imminently.

[​IMG]

While setting up a new Apple Watch on the fifth regional betas of iOS 11 and watchOS 4, developer Philipp Ebener was presented with the option to add German bank cards to Apple Pay for the first time.

Philipp reports that he wasn't able to register any of his German credit cards with the system, but the fact that the feature has been partially enabled suggests full activation could come with the official public launch of both operating systems.

Apple will release the final version of iOS 11 and watchOS 4 at its next major event in September, where it is expected to debut new iPhone models and a new Apple Watch with LTE for a standalone cellular connection.

Article Link: Apple Pay Could Launch in Germany as Early as Next Month

2. underkuerbis macrumors member

3. mdellepi macrumors member

N26 (online German bank) is due to start supporting Apple Pay in Italy this fall (according to both their and Apple's websites). I always thought that this probably meant Apple Pay in Germany also this fall.

4. itsmilo macrumors 6502a

itsmilo

This has always been an option if you set your iPhone to a region with ApplePay but leave the language set to german. Even the TV App already has german localization. Its just not enabled.

Attached Files:

5. bruinselmann macrumors member

Good, it's only been three years since I bought a new iPhone in anticipation of this feature.

6. Menopause macrumors 6502a

Menopause

This has been present before, nothing new. Thanks to the uptightness of Germans, I'm afraid to say this won't happen. Because of the German Sparkasse we are a virtual third world country when it comes to smart payments. People still prefer cash here. Payback Pay is trying hard to make a change.

7. pizzafunghi macrumors newbie

Not true, you never got to the "add cc"-screen.

8. itsmilo macrumors 6502a

itsmilo

Attached Files:

9. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

Such drama! It's almost like saying the lack of NFC access is akin to having a collapsed government or something.

10. MLVC macrumors 6502

True it's also there in Dutch if I'm not mistaken. Doesn't mean anything.

11. mnni macrumors newbie

mnni

I’ve been using my NFC CC for everyday groceries for two years now. Every supermarket or drugstore supports it by now... I don’t see any problem with it.

12. steindlmedia macrumors newbie

This is all about the fact that it is now displayed when you have set the region to Germany, a currently not supported country. The dialogue should normally only be displayed if you have selected a supported region. The language is only used for the localization of the displayed texts (with a fallback to english probably).

13. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

My 65 y/o Swiss neighbor and husband were on a 2 week trip to Berlin, Lübeck and Kehl, Germany this past couple of weeks. She tried several times to use her Apple Pay but none of the merchants she visited seemed to have NFC terminals.

14. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Omg omg omg so pumped :D
    Please - I realized in the past few months that contactless payment machines have started to show up all around the country!
    Rewe, Edeka and Kaufland already have them and many cafes as well (just not in berlin of course...) but my Apple Watch is ready hrhrhr

15. nicho macrumors 68000

What is a regional beta!?

16. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

Yeah Germany is very behind in this area. Lots of businesses only accept cash (I have never seen a bakery in Germany which accepts cards), or they have a minimum amount for paying with card (which is actually against the T&Cs for Electronic Cash/EC cards).

If that wasn’t bad enough, you can never find an ATM. Most of the big banks except Sparkasse got together to let customers use each other’s ATMs, but somehow Sparkasse still has more than Deutsche Bank, Commerzbank, HypovereinsBank, etc... combined! Withdrawing money from your Commerzbank account from a Sparkasse ATM costs nearly €5 at a minimum, which is, frankly, an absurdly high figure.

It’s a nightmare. Banking in Germany seems designed to treat the consumer with hostility.

I moved to Germany from the U.K. when i was a kid. Over there, the ATMs are part of the “LINK” network so essentially everyone can make a withdrawal from any ATM with no fees. Basically every shop, even down to the newsagent on the corner, accepts card payments (although the smaller ones do have a minimum amount, it’s still usually lower than the minimum in Germany; £5 vs €10).

The UK consumer baking sector in the mid-90s (when I left) was still more modern and consumer-friendly than Germany is today, in 2017.

Germany has only _just_ discovered cashback! There are only one or two large retailers who will do it (e.g. REWE, since last year, IIRC).

17. sunny2k1 macrumors member

That Germans are quite conservative regarding their financial situation is not quite news worthy. But they had history as both wars were based on a financial crisis. If you are in the red numbers , you will pay drastic interests. It’s sometime cheaper to have a credit and equal your account.

The Sparkasse has to be the bank with the most ATMs as, they have the most customers (32 millions in 2014).

The problem the German Bank suffer the most under: the current ECB politics. Why? They are unable to „park“ overnight without paying extra fees, because of the euro crisis in Southern Europe. It doesn’t matter whether you have your money on an account or at home, as there are no interest and you are even losing money leaving money at a bank (because of inflation).

I could write more about it, but it would too much offtopic...

18. tmiw macrumors 68000

At least the places that take cards there have terminals that are more up to date than businesses in the US.

19. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Well, far from me to say "it's about time", but, it's about time!

I live in Stuttgart and bank with Commerzbank; I never have trouble finding an ATM (Commerzbank's iOS app is excellent for that) but I have never liked having to carry lots of cash about.

Apple Pay would be excellent. I've used it extensively elsewhere (in the UK and USA) and it just makes things so much easier.

20. Kajover macrumors member

I am interested. Do you have more information or a link?

21. NecroKill macrumors newbie

NecroKill

Some of us, many actually, want this extra security, privacy and a way to leave wallets at home. If i could add my public transportation card to my phone the same way that would be rad.

22. lucansmiles macrumors member

lucansmiles

...and Austria will, as always, get the feature 10 years later than Germany (like with laws). Oh well...

23. sunny2k1 macrumors member

Based on current interest rates (0,00) and inflation (1,5%), the Germans are losing money, if they leave it on the bank.

24. Menopause macrumors 6502a

Menopause

"Collapsed government"? Clearly the drama is in your head because these are your words, not mine. Lack of NFC access? Every large grocery shop or gas pump has NFC terminals now. Germany drives the entire EU economically, so when half a dozen of other European countries get Apple Pay before Germany, do you really think it has to do with "lack of NFC access"? Are you even sure about what you're talking about?

25. Shoju macrumors member

Shoju

Not sure where in Berlin you're situated but in my part of the city (Schöneberg) I've also noticed an increase of vendors upgrading to terminals that support contactless payment (i.e. dm, BioCompany).