Apple Pay does not mirror my iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by iRebound, May 12, 2015.

1. iRebound macrumors regular

When I go to Passbook & Apple Pay under My Watch, it does't show the cards that is already added on my iPhone. Anyone experiencing this?

iPhone 6
    iOS 8.3

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

That is by design. Apple does not allow transferring Apple Pay data to new device, which includes Apple Watch. You will need to re-add each card on the Apple Watch.

3. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

Hard to know if this is an Apple requirement or a PCI requirement. But my understanding is that the Watch gets its own Apple Pay number, so you can actually cancel it separately if your watch is lost and your phone is not. Luckily my banks made it every easy to add the cards to the watch, didn't have to call in like I did when I added the iPhone.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

There is no CC info on your iPhone for Apple to mirror (this is what makes :apple:Pay so secure). Your iPhone only contains a unique random token assigned to your iPhone from your finical institution.

5. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

This threw me off at first too. Definitely makes sense once you think about it, but I think Apple could have done a better job of explaining when you first pull up Apple Pay on the watch.

6. iRebound thread starter macrumors regular

Apple Pay does not mirror my iPhone

Thanks guys. It does makes sense now. What got me confused was the mirror my iPhone option for Apple Pay on the watch.

7. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

+1 to being a little clearer. or... can someone explain "mirror iPhone" is then? i expected it to "mirror" all the cards stored on my iPhone.

i take the point that it's a security thing though

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

As I already said in post #4 there is no CC stored on your iPhone to mirror. Apple does not know or store any of your CC info on your iPhone to mirror to the :apple:Watch. Why is that hard to understand?

9. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

The mirror iPhone setting you are referring to is in regards to Apple Pay notifications. Do you want to see them on your watch or phone, you can configure which.

10. mbaturin macrumors regular

mbaturin

I won't pretend to know exactly what I'm talking about here - but remember the whole "The encyrption for the card is stored on the Chip", thing? I think the Key that relates to each card is encrypted on hardware inside the phone/watch - hence the need for re-doing the setup on the Watch even if it's already done on the Phone. Something along those lines.

*Image from here: https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/apple-pay/

Attached Files:

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Again no CC info (encrypted or otherwise) is stored. Here is a great article that explains how it works. You can scroll down to: Apple Pay and the “Device Account Number” if you want.

http://www.kirklennon.com/a/applepay.html

12. mbaturin macrumors regular

mbaturin

Understood - that is why i said "Key that relates to each card."

13. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Anyone having problems adding their cards to their watch? I have all my cards on my phone. But every time I try to add a card to my watch. It keeps saying it couldn't be added, and to contact my card provider.

14. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

I didn't have this problem, but many card providers changed their security in regards to adding cards to Apple Pay since its release in response to attacks -- you could essentially steal a card from a wallet, add to your Apple pay and place the card back into the owner's wallet without them noticing. Perhaps your bank changed their requirements since you added it to your phone?

15. mbaturin macrumors regular

mbaturin

All 3 of my Apple Pay cards required a call to the bank for account verification which included me having to tell them the exact amount of a recent deposit or withdraw. So this wouldn't be possible with at least PNC, Capitol One 360, and Barclay Card. Not sure about others.

16. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I don't think so. I removed all my cards from my phone. Added them back to my phone. No issues. Only happens when I try this on my watch. It's says to call my card issuer. (Which I will probably have to do anyhow, to see if they know anything.) my cards are from capital one and chase.

----------

That's odd. I don't know. Looks like I will have to call Chase and Capital one. Just odd that I can use it on my phone, but not my watch.

17. mbaturin macrumors regular

mbaturin

After you add the card in the iPhone Apple Watch App, it should prompt you to call the bank just like it did for the Phone setup. If you're not getting to that step, maybe try to remove and re-enter the card.

18. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

When I added my Capital One 360 card when the iPhone 6 first game out, I did not have to call. Glad to hear you have to call now, but I didn't when I added it to my Watch recently.

19. paulsdenton macrumors 6502

paulsdenton

I did not have to call for AMEX, but did for TD Bank. They made it easy; all I had to do was remember my last deposit date and amount.

20. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Update. I did have to call for both my capital one and chase cards to have them added to Apple pay on the watch. Capital one was kind of painless. Chase is odd, as they had me verified. And told me I was ready to go. But it still shows on my watch as needing to be verified. So long story short, chase has no idea why I can't use Apple pay with them on my watch. So I am waiting for someone to call me back when they can figure out what is happening.

21. NorthMcCormick macrumors member

I skimmed through this but I think the mirroring setting is for notifications, just in case anyone was wondering. I was a little confused at first too. THOUGH cool that we can use the watch even without the phone near by to pay :)

22. T-R-S macrumors regular

T-R-S

Security is a must I would not want someone with an Apple Watch to pair up to my iPhone and grab my Apple Pay data.

23. Teride macrumors member

Teride

I had to call each provided to have them activate.

24. Robinvbsn macrumors newbie

Robinvbsn

25. Robinvbsn macrumors newbie

Robinvbsn

Using Capitol 360 my phone shows two ways to verify using phone call or my wallet. I used my wallet. I can use my phone to make purchases but my watch still says not verified. Apparently I need to call???