Apple pay doesn't work all the time

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by blasto333, Aug 21, 2015.

1. blasto333 macrumors regular

I have a grocery store around me that accepts apple pay and it doesn't work all the time. I also am a point of sale software developer and have been developing with a device that supports apple pay. And sure enough it doesn't work all the time on that either. (I tried it a lot)

I doubt it is the reader. Is there some sort of thing I don't know on how to get it to work? Do I have to wait a period of time? I cannot nail down why it doesn't work; but it works probably 60% of the time.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I've noticed the same as I purchase a coffee every day with my watch and I'd say 1/10 don't work. Just requires a retap

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There is a mom and pop restaurant near my work that takes Apple pay and half the time it doesn't work with their POS terminal. I've tried my watch AND phone and neither has worked for me there. Down the street at Walgreens it has worked 100% of the time.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It never works for the person in front of me at the check out line.

5. Berzerker7 macrumors member

I use my watch on the vending machine at work, Wallgreens, and Whole Foods and have had 0 issue.

Make sure you're using the top edge of the watch (if orientation is Digital Crown on right side) as the point of "contact", not the screen.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So it's a Piece Of S*** terminal.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Pretty much. The owner is all like "not many people use dees seestem." when it doesnt work but in the early days he was like "I like dees appel seestem..its use token and more secure". Whatever dude :)

8. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I've had it fail the first attempt a few times in the maybe 50 times I've used Apple Pay at various POS machines. The 2nd attempt always works.

9. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

I find this issue with the phone at times and so I just assumed maybe the software is a bit hit/miss about Apple Pay at the moment.

Places like Burger King here in the UK have a bit of a makeshift system with two payment terminals one which the employee initiates the payment on and one which the customer uses - maybe this sort of setup does not play nicely with Apple Pay.

I read this in my head with the accent :oops:.

10. deadandalive macrumors member

deadandalive

I've used it at Staples twice & it worked fine

Once at Walgreens & also fine

About 10 times at McDonalds & it fails 2/3 of the time. I stopped using it there because it is so annoying

11. Roller macrumors 68020

Apple Pay has worked for me most of the time, though I've had a few instances where I couldn't get it to work on the watch and had to use the iPhone as backup. What's bothered me more, though, were the occasions where the store's terminal accepted the transaction, but I still had to sign to complete it. That makes Apple Pay less convenient for me, and I don't see how me scribbling something that doesn't remotely resemble my signature makes it more likely that the vendor will be paid. An even bigger problem for me is that AP isn't accepted at many places where I shop or eat, so I end up using it only a couple of times a month.

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Basically works all the time for me. There are only some instances where I told leave the watch on the machine long enough for it to complete the transaction and i have to do it over. Used it at Petco yesterday. The cashier had one too. She had black sport watch with a blue band. It looked ugly as s*** but that's ok. :)

13. jaymc macrumors 6502

jaymc

I find the issue at McDonalds is not the AW but the employee at the terminal. When I see he/she is having problems I get the shift manager to help.

14. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

From my experience when in US McDonalds and using a contactless card, an awful lot of the contactless readers seem to be broken. The first light isn't even lit up.

15. deadandalive macrumors member

deadandalive

That's what it looks like to me at McDonalds - the employee doesnt know what they are doing

When AP shows me that it was done, it looks to me like the employee needs to hit something on the register to get it to complete the transaction

But most of the time they just stand there with a vacant look on their faces, even when I tell them they are supposed to do something on the register to complete the payment

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Accent was implied. Middle Eastern to be exact. :)

17. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

I got an iPhone 6s and at the same store it works every time where the watch works 1/2 the time. So maybe the watch isn't as good as phone.

18. jasie02, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I have not use iPhone for AP since I got my AW in May 2015, and I use AP at least 5-10 times weekly.
    No problem at all for me for AP with AW.
    Either your AW has issue, terminal at where you use xxxx, or you do not use it "correctly".
    I mention in another thread, one need to have patient use AP with AW, hold your AW within 1/2" of terminal right above NFC sign, and hold it, hold it, hold it, hold it.... it will work unless terminal does not work.
    It is slow, but will work.

19. KimBieber macrumors newbie

KimBieber

20. Realistiic macrumors regular

Realistiic

I use the iPhone all the time and never had it fail yet. Never used my watch once though.

21. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

22. jeddouglas macrumors regular

I have tried the Watch twice in different stores in the UK (Boots and the local Post Office) and it hasn't worked but it did work on both occasions when I took out my phone.

23. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I tried my watch once so far and it worked fine. I just held it right over the terminal at the symbol.

24. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

Has worked 100% of the times I've tried it. It even works on the soda machine in my office!

25. newdeal macrumors 68020

I have had quite a few failed attempts but when I do without fail tapping the physical card works so its something to do with Apples implementation and hopefully it will be fixed