Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its website and its Apple Pay support document to note the expansion of the Apple Pay payment service to Singapore. With the addition of Singapore, Apple Pay is now available in six countries, including Canada, China, Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Apple Pay is available in Singapore through a partnership with American Express, first announced by Apple in October of 2015. By partnering with American Express, Apple has brought Apple Pay to Singapore, Canada, and Australia and will expand it to Hong Kong and Spain later this year.

applepaysingapore.jpg

According to Apple's Singapore website, Apple Pay is currently available to American Express users in the country. American Express cardholders can add their credit cards to the Wallet app by opening the app and tapping on the "+" button or using Settings and tapping "Add Credit or Debit Card."

Apple Pay is limited to cards issued by American Express, but the website says Apple Pay support will expand to major credit and debit cards from top banks "soon." Visa is listed as a credit card partner that will support Apple Pay in Singapore in the future, as are the following banks: DBS, UOB, and Standard Chartered.

Apple Pay is available in a range of retail locations in Singapore, including Starbucks, FairPrice, StarHub, Uniqlo, TopShop, and Shaw Theaters, along with other stores that have NFC-equipped payment terminals. Additional partners like BreadTalk, Cold Storage, FoodRepublic, Giant, and more will be adding support for Apple Pay soon.

Apple Pay will also soon be available within apps, with Uber and HomeAway Asia set to be two of the first apps that will offer Apple Pay support in Singapore.

iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, and SE users can now use Apple Pay in retail stores, and with the Apple Watch, Apple Pay is extended to the iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s. Apple Pay within apps is available on the iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, SE, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, and both iPad Pro models.

Article Link: Apple Pay Expands to Singapore Through American Express Partnership, Visa Support Coming Soon

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Nice to know that Apple Pay can now be used in Singapore. Hope Visa comes on board soon after this!

Reactions: catean

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
"Apple Pay is now available in six countries, including Canada"

Only on AMEX with ZERO stores accepting it ... pfffft.
[doublepost=1461025680][/doublepost]
K…how about visa in Canada. Amex tap works no where.

The Canadian banks which run their own Visa CC programs with Chips and Tap & Go and have offered the safest CC experience for years, anywhere, ain't going to give a single cent to Apple for Apple Pay.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
What difference does it make if they expand credit card companies, banks and credit unions if merchants aren't offering it.
At least in NE Florida there are few businesses that accept Apple pay. I continue to be disappointed in it's lack adoption at retailers and merchants. I need for Apple pay to accepted at grocery stores, restaurants etc. It ain't happening here.
It works great and I love it but it's a massive fail in terms of adoption.

Last edited:

Simon_F

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2016
Personally I feel the Visa Pay Wave is already very convenient. Cannot find a reason to switch to Apple Pay yet.
Can you use Visa pay wave to tap & go using only your phone? Don't think so. That would be the advantage.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Apple need to bring Visa, Mastercard and Interac to Canada. Reduce the fees for the banks, and they ( Banks ) will sign up. The fees were reduced for the UK, so Apple can do that here.

Apple must remember - they need the banks more than the Banks need Apple!

Samsung Pay is rumours to be coming to Canada soon. Would be a shame to see the banks sign up to Samsung before Apple!

zzLZHzz

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I hope that the adoption rate will be strong in Singapore.

While Singapore has NFC payment for years, adoption rate by retailers are poor, most of the cashiers has no idea how to use it and will choose to use the old terminal.

slayerz96

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Singapore
Personally I feel the Visa Pay Wave is already very convenient. Cannot find a reason to switch to Apple Pay yet.
I'm going to switch because of that extra layer of security.

Most of my shopping is done at Finest, so I can just leave my cards at home and never have to worry about losing them.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I hope that the adoption rate will be strong in Singapore.

While Singapore has NFC payment for years, adoption rate by retailers are poor, most of the cashiers has no idea how to use it and will choose to use the old terminal.

Isn't there something similar to Hong Kong's Octopus card in Singapore?

monstruo

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
Good to see apple pay is getting accepted elsewhere.
IMHO, Apple pay seems to be the ideal platform for e-commence:cool:

Reactions: zzLZHzz

zzLZHzz

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Isn't there something similar to Hong Kong's Octopus card in Singapore?

yes, our ezLink is similar to HK's octopus card but if I am not wrong, HK's octopus card has much more uses beyond just transports. I think they could use it for micro-payment at retailers?

but of course, I have to say that the most successful contactless card in singapore is the ezLink and it works every all the time. a different variant of it is needed before you can use at the retailers.

Cwolk

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2015
NJ, USA
Very exciting news. Almost as exciting as reading the new lists of never-heard-of-before banks that now support Apple Pay!

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Apple need to bring Visa, Mastercard and Interac to Canada. Reduce the fees for the banks, and they ( Banks ) will sign up. The fees were reduced for the UK, so Apple can do that here.

Apple must remember - they need the banks more than the Banks need Apple!

Samsung Pay is rumours to be coming to Canada soon. Would be a shame to see the banks sign up to Samsung before Apple!

How would Samsung Pay come to Canada when we've moved on from Stripes for a hell of long time, and there's liability in going with the stripes. If the original card that's Samsung Pay is using has a chip, you shouldn't be able to use Samsung Pay anywhere in Canada with that card. I'll believe this when I actually see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.