Apple Pay Expands Widely in Russia

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 1, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Pay launched in Russia last month in partnership with Sberbank for MasterCard cardholders, and today the mobile payments service has expanded to nine additional financial institutions in the country.

Today's additions include Tinkoff Bank, Bank Saint Petersburg, Raiffeisenbank, Yandex.Money, Alfa-Bank, MTS Bank, VTB 24, Rocketbank, and MDM Bank. Russian Standard Bank is listed as coming soon. The banks, just added to the regional Apple Pay website in Russia, support Apple Pay as of November 1.

[​IMG]

Eligible cards can be added to Apple Pay by tapping "Add Credit or Debit Card" in the Wallet app on iPhone 5 and later running at least iOS 8.1.

Participating retailers include ATAK, Magnit, Media Markt, Auchan, Azbuka Vkusa, bp, M.Video, TsUM, authorized Apple reseller re:Store, and elsewhere contactless payments are accepted. Burger King is also listed as a future partner once it implements contactless payments infrastructure in the country.

Apple Pay is currently available in the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Apple Pay vice president Jennifer Bailey has said Apple is "working rapidly" to expand the service to additional countries in Asia and Europe.

Article Link: Apple Pay Expands Widely in Russia

2. Wawajey macrumors member

Why not South Africa. I bet India will get Apple Pay first

3. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

4. 2457282 Suspended

I thought russia ran on bitcoins?
    /s

If the US ever gets it, this could be a big deal (I mean merchants actually allowing Apple Pay to work).

5. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

6. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Ibc still does not support AP here in the states

7. Takohashi macrumors member

8. zhang96 macrumors member

Great to see Apple Pay spreads, maybe some more Canadian banks as well?

9. coolfactor macrumors 68040

When I saw your comment, I had to research whether people actually live in the Antartica. Other than researchers, there aren't many — it's too cold. So was your comment tongue-in-cheek?

10. realeric, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

Apple Pay is almost useless in US. Walmart, Kroger, Publix, Homedepot, Lowes, erc don't support it.

11. Straight Flush macrumors member

Whatever happened to the "imminent" launch of Apple Pay in Germany which was supposed to be announced last week!?! :confused::confused::confused:

12. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I use Apple Pay at least 80% of the places I shop. Lowes is probably the one I miss the most. I have not been in a Walmart in years...

Many of the places I use it are not listed as supported - like Starbucks - but clearly do.

13. PR1985 macrumors 6502a

14. RedOrchestra Suspended

What CDN banks aren't offering AP?

15. tmiw macrumors 68000

It seems that without fail, at least one or two people complain about how "useless" Apple Pay is in the US in a thread about Apple Pay in some other country. :rolleyes: I think it's time to admit that American retailers would rather we use cash if we're not going to use something that lets them track us. I mean, they sue Visa and MasterCard all the time because the fees they have to pay are "too" high, not to mention that retailer-specific apps are still being tried for those who insist on paying with a phone. Which will inevitably bring back an ACH option, including a significant discount for using it or the store's own credit card.

It's probably less stressful at this point to just assume that Apple Pay is for websites and apps. Maybe in 5-10 years the in-person payment situation will improve enough to make some here happy. (IMO, contactless will never be as widely supported in the US compared to elsewhere. Heck, it's very possible that there will still be businesses swiping decades from now. But 50% real-world acceptance might still be enough for some to stop carrying their wallets.)

16. AppleFanBoy82 macrumors member

keep an eye out for walmart in the US adopting Apple Pay - I live in the UK and Walmart owned store ASDA was never going to accept Apple Pay because parent company Walmart wouldnt allow it but now there have been accepting it for about 2 months now

17. tmiw macrumors 68000

They only did that because Visa/MC are requiring it in Europe. Walmart will never implement it anywhere else unless it becomes required elsewhere or if Visa/MC offer significant fee concessions for AP transactions.

18. RedOrchestra Suspended

Walmart Canada stopped accepting VISA ... AP is a long way off in their horizon.

19. 2457282 Suspended

I have not used it in other parts of the world, so this may be a US thing, but the chip and dip cards suck. It takes way longer than the original swipe cards and knowing that with a wave of my watch/phone would light years faster is always frustrating.

Especially frustrating is to swipe to be told to dip to be prompted for a pin only to have the cashier print a receipt that I need to sign. Arg.

20. tmiw macrumors 68000

Chip is definitely faster elsewhere. It's just that retailers here also don't want to spend the money to make it better--probably to help steer people towards their apps or cash.

21. zhang96 macrumors member

Rogers Bank.

22. veggiespam macrumors newbie

veggiespam

Cheaper than paying the ATM fee if your primary bank isn't Wells Fargo. http://mentalfloss.com/article/63741/worlds-loneliest-atm-antarctica

23. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

I guess, we germans are considered by Apple as unworthy hillbillies to implement it here.

24. WilliamG macrumors G3

Tongue frozen in cheek, potentially.