Apple Pay Expands Widely in Russia

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay launched in Russia last month in partnership with Sberbank for MasterCard cardholders, and today the mobile payments service has expanded to nine additional financial institutions in the country.

Today's additions include Tinkoff Bank, Bank Saint Petersburg, Raiffeisenbank, Yandex.Money, Alfa-Bank, MTS Bank, VTB 24, Rocketbank, and MDM Bank. Russian Standard Bank is listed as coming soon. The banks, just added to the regional Apple Pay website in Russia, support Apple Pay as of November 1.

Eligible cards can be added to Apple Pay by tapping "Add Credit or Debit Card" in the Wallet app on iPhone 5 and later running at least iOS 8.1.

Participating retailers include ATAK, Magnit, Media Markt, Auchan, Azbuka Vkusa, bp, M.Video, TsUM, authorized Apple reseller re:Store, and elsewhere contactless payments are accepted. Burger King is also listed as a future partner once it implements contactless payments infrastructure in the country.

Apple Pay is currently available in the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Apple Pay vice president Jennifer Bailey has said Apple is "working rapidly" to expand the service to additional countries in Asia and Europe.

Article Link: Apple Pay Expands Widely in Russia

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I thought russia ran on bitcoins?
/s

If the US ever gets it, this could be a big deal (I mean merchants actually allowing Apple Pay to work).

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Apple Pay is almost useless in US. Walmart, Kroger, Publix, Homedepot, Lowes, erc don't support it.

Last edited:

Straight Flush

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
Whatever happened to the "imminent" launch of Apple Pay in Germany which was supposed to be announced last week!?! :confused::confused::confused:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Apple Pay is almost useless in US. Walmart, Kroger, Publix, Homedepot, Lowes, erc don't support it.
I use Apple Pay at least 80% of the places I shop. Lowes is probably the one I miss the most. I have not been in a Walmart in years...

Many of the places I use it are not listed as supported - like Starbucks - but clearly do.

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
If the US ever gets it, this could be a big deal (I mean merchants actually allowing Apple Pay to work).
It seems that without fail, at least one or two people complain about how "useless" Apple Pay is in the US in a thread about Apple Pay in some other country. :rolleyes: I think it's time to admit that American retailers would rather we use cash if we're not going to use something that lets them track us. I mean, they sue Visa and MasterCard all the time because the fees they have to pay are "too" high, not to mention that retailer-specific apps are still being tried for those who insist on paying with a phone. Which will inevitably bring back an ACH option, including a significant discount for using it or the store's own credit card.

It's probably less stressful at this point to just assume that Apple Pay is for websites and apps. Maybe in 5-10 years the in-person payment situation will improve enough to make some here happy. (IMO, contactless will never be as widely supported in the US compared to elsewhere. Heck, it's very possible that there will still be businesses swiping decades from now. But 50% real-world acceptance might still be enough for some to stop carrying their wallets.)

AppleFanBoy82

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2015
Mexborough, UK
keep an eye out for walmart in the US adopting Apple Pay - I live in the UK and Walmart owned store ASDA was never going to accept Apple Pay because parent company Walmart wouldnt allow it but now there have been accepting it for about 2 months now

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
keep an eye out for walmart in the US adopting Apple Pay - I live in the UK and Walmart owned store ASDA was never going to accept Apple Pay because parent company Walmart wouldnt allow it but now there have been accepting it for about 2 months now
They only did that because Visa/MC are requiring it in Europe. Walmart will never implement it anywhere else unless it becomes required elsewhere or if Visa/MC offer significant fee concessions for AP transactions.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It seems that without fail, at least one or two people complain about how "useless" Apple Pay is in the US in a thread about Apple Pay in some other country. :rolleyes: I think it's time to admit that American retailers would rather we use cash if we're not going to use something that lets them track us. I mean, they sue Visa and MasterCard all the time because the fees they have to pay are "too" high, not to mention that retailer-specific apps are still being tried for those who insist on paying with a phone. Which will inevitably bring back an ACH option, including a significant discount for using it or the store's own credit card.

It's probably less stressful at this point to just assume that Apple Pay is for websites and apps. Maybe in 5-10 years the in-person payment situation will improve enough to make some here happy. (IMO, contactless will never be as widely supported in the US compared to elsewhere. Heck, it's very possible that there will still be businesses swiping decades from now. But 50% real-world acceptance might still be enough for some to stop carrying their wallets.)
I have not used it in other parts of the world, so this may be a US thing, but the chip and dip cards suck. It takes way longer than the original swipe cards and knowing that with a wave of my watch/phone would light years faster is always frustrating.

Especially frustrating is to swipe to be told to dip to be prompted for a pin only to have the cashier print a receipt that I need to sign. Arg.

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I have not used it in other parts of the world, so this may be a US thing, but the chip and dip cards suck. It takes way longer than the original swipe cards and knowing that with a wave of my watch/phone would light years faster is always frustrating.

Especially frustrating is to swipe to be told to dip to be prompted for a pin only to have the cashier print a receipt that I need to sign. Arg.
Chip is definitely faster elsewhere. It's just that retailers here also don't want to spend the money to make it better--probably to help steer people towards their apps or cash.