Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pay-at-table terminal manufacturer E la Carte today announced that Apple Pay is coming to its new state-of-the-art "PrestoPrime EMV" line, thanks to an included NFC reader that will also support Android Pay, Samsung Pay, and mobile wallets that use QR codes. E la Carte's previous terminals included NFC, but lacked EMV certification, which Apple Pay requires since it complies to the latest EMV standards for tokenizing transactions.

With the addition of Apple Pay support, restaurant guests will be able to pay for their meal at the table with a quick tap of their iPhone. Users can also pay with a traditional swipe method, or use the new EMV chip reader to insert any newly-issued credit card with a chip inside of it. The terminals also have a "store and forward" ability that allows guests to continue to pay for food and drinks even if the restaurant loses power or internet connectivity.

presto-prime-emv.jpg
"Brick-and-mortar payments and security requirements have changed dramatically in the last 5 years. We wanted to take a leadership role in helping our partners navigate these volatile waters, while also generating direct operating benefits that offer a real hard dollar ROI to recoup their investment," said Raj Suri, CEO and founder of E la Carte. "Combining robust security with a frictionless user experience, PrestoPrime EMV sets the bar as the best tabletop platform available to restaurant operators."
Pay-at-table terminals have become more popular over the years, with companies like E la Carte and Ziosk offering customers quick access to menus and payment methods at restaurants like Applebee's, Outback Steakhouse, Olive Garden, and more. Most of the terminals, including PrestoPrime, also include limited paid gaming features intended to pass the wait time for food orders.

E la Carte's reach in the industry currently extends to over 1,800 restaurants across the United States, centering on Applebee's and Outback Steakhouse locations.

Article Link: Apple Pay Headed Directly to Restaurant Tables With 'PrestoPrime EMV' Terminals

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
How is this different from handheld wireless POS machines that already support tap-to-pay? Restaurants around here have had those for a few years.

qVsgefq.jpg

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Another product that most restaurants in America are going to have a really hard time justifying. (Notice how it's only the bigger chains that buy the tableside tablets?)

I'm telling you: pay at the table is going to be relatively uncommon in the US compared to elsewhere. Why should most places spend the extra money on even the handheld terminals mentioned above when tip adjust is still possible and PIN isn't mandatory with the chip? Restaurants that want to accept Apple Pay are almost better off doing so via an app like OpenTable, as at least they won't have to buy anything new that way.

(Note: this is based on my experience with chip at US restaurants so far, which admittedly isn't all that many places. My card was still taken away and brought back at nearly every single one, however.)

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Oh that's going to fit right in…
:rolleyes:

la_pentola_table_5x3_0.jpg

Edit: And you can play games? Even less reason for people to have a conversation while sharing a meal.

Edit 2: And I can only imagine servers/waiters are going to get stiffed royally.

Edit 3:
allows guests to continue to pay for food and drinks even if the restaurant loses power or internet connectivity.
As opposed to heading straight for the exit under cover of darkness.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
Another product that most restaurants in America are going to have a really hard time justifying. (Notice how it's only the bigger chains that buy the tableside tablets?)

I'm telling you: pay at the table is going to be relatively uncommon in the US compared to elsewhere. Why should most places spend the extra money on even the handheld terminals mentioned above when tip adjust is still possible and PIN isn't mandatory with the chip? Restaurants that want to accept Apple Pay are almost better off doing so via an app like OpenTable, as at least they won't have to buy anything new that way.

(Note: this is based on my experience with chip at US restaurants so far, which admittedly isn't all that many places. My card was still taken away and brought back at nearly every single one, however.)
I think the benefit of these is it seems like it would increase orders. If I have an easy way to order extra stuff without having to wait for a server, I'm probably more likely to spend more money.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I think the benefit of these is it seems like it would increase orders. If I have an easy way to order extra stuff without having to wait for a server, I'm probably more likely to spend more money.

It's still a multi hundred dollar per table investment (or possibly more) just for the hardware, let alone any required maintenance agreements. I'm not seeing a typical mom and pop restaurant buying these, even if they do get marginally more sales as a result.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Not to mention it's one fewer step for the server. The time it takes to make an extra trip back to the register, run the cards, and hand out checks can add up pretty quick, especially with large parties that want to split their check multiple ways.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Not to mention it's one fewer step for the server. The time it takes to make an extra trip back to the register, run the cards, and hand out checks can add up pretty quick, especially with large parties that want to split their check multiple ways.

Eh, restaurant POSes make that not too big of a deal these days. Swiping also takes like less than a second per card. (I'm not convinced most restaurants want to switch to chip, to be honest.)

These still aren't used in the US. I don't get the aversion to this in the States.

Say you're a restaurant owner and it's time to replace your equipment. You just got a new credit card from your bank with one of those new "EMV" chips on it. You've already had to use the chip at a couple of places and realized that the only thing that's really changed is how the terminal reads the card; you don't have to enter a PIN and some of the places where you've used the card still have a tip line on the receipt.

A vendor then comes by and offers the following options:

1. A wired terminal/card reader that attaches to your existing POS for $300. Think something like what Subway uses.
2. One of those handheld terminals that restaurants in Europe use. This isn't attached to the POS so you have to manually reconcile at the end of the night, and on top of that it costs $500. And you'll need to buy at least a few for the number of waitstaff you have on duty at any given time.

Considering all of that, which is the "better" business decision? Most likely it's #1. Unfortunate, but yeah.

EDIT: by manually reconcile I mean closing out checks, not necessarily tip adjust (which you may have to do regardless of the solution the restaurant goes with).

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
This is anecdotal, but I've had abysmal service at virtually all the restaurants I've been to that have those mini terminals on the table.

You would think having the terminals would result in better customer service because in some restaurants, at least, the server doesn't have to take your order or take your card when you're ready to leave. Literally, all they have to do is bring you your drinks and food and make sure your drinks are refilled.

The flip side to having these screens (and one of the reasons, I suspect, that my experience in several restaurants with these screens has been abysmal) is that corporate sees the screens as a way they can reduce their bottom line (payroll) so the staff that's left is stretched very thin. That's also likely to affect tips, I think. The volume of tips will go up due to the staff working more tables, but the average amount of the tips could very well be substantially less than a restaurant without screens. One would hope that the increase in the volume of tips would make up for the average tip amount going down, but I'm not sure it would.

I love tech but I'm just not convinced that these screens will be a success. A lot of restaurants like Applebees and Chilis are already having a difficult time attracting customers right now...or so I've read. Throw consistently bad customer service into the mix and I bet some of these chains could be in real trouble.

Reactions: ignatius345

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Also if I can pay right when I want to pay without having to wait for server is nice. Person above pointed to some places that have these. Table service is not exactly fast.

Another bonus is your card doesn't leave your sight. And now apple pay would make little more secure.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Say you're a restaurant owner and it's time to replace your equipment. You just got a new credit card from your bank with one of those new "EMV" chips on it. You've already had to use the chip at a couple of places and realized that the only thing that's really changed is how the terminal reads the card; you don't have to enter a PIN and some of the places where you've used the card still have a tip line on the receipt.

1. A wired terminal/card reader that attaches to your existing POS for $300. Think something like what Subway uses.
2. One of those handheld terminals that restaurants in Europe use. This isn't attached to the POS so you have to manually reconcile at the end of the night, and on top of that it costs $500. And you'll need to buy at least a few for the number of waitstaff you have on duty at any given time.

Considering all of that, which is the "better" business decision? Most likely it's #1. Unfortunate, but yeah.

Many credit card processors/banks offer them for less or free w/ a service contract. And there are systems like Square which are affordable and are seen in newer restaurants, food trucks, hipster coffee bars. But you are right, there is a lot of short-sightedness in the US.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

You're really, really, really trying too hard. It's pretty simple. This is not a solution for every business, be it mom and pop or corporate chain. That is a decision for each business. Your assertion that would be a hard justification for most restaurants in America isn't based on any facts.

From a customer perspective it's great. It's ecosystem agnostic, convenient, and your financials never leave your possession.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
How is this different from handheld wireless POS machines that already support tap-to-pay? Restaurants around here have had those for a few years.

qVsgefq.jpg

Every time I go to the US, I'm always amazed at how far behind they are with payment systems. I end up swiping my credit card and signing for everything, which just feels so outdated. Everything should be chip and PIN or tap to pay at this point.

Reactions: 0970373

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada

EDIT: by manually reconcile I mean closing out checks, not necessarily tip adjust (which you may have to do regardless of the solution the restaurant goes with).
Most of the sit-down restaurants I go to here in Canada have portable POS machines. Even the "hole in the wall" place my wife and I like going to.

It's how customers want to pay. Keep customers happy, and they keep coming back.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
From a customer perspective it's great. It's ecosystem agnostic, convenient, and your financials never leave your possession.

It is convenient, and someone's card never leaves their possession, which is good. However, I think the staff at these restaurants will come to hate these screens. Here's why...

These screens basically turn the wait staff into robots that carry orders to tables and refill drinks. That's all. They have no real interaction with the people they're serving. The fact of the matter is that I'm less likely to leave a generous tip for someone if I place the order myself and all they do is bring it to me and refill my drink.

While I love tech, I think these screens may be a bust in the long-term. I think staff will be unhappy because the average amount of each tip will go down; and customers will be unhappy because while the system is quick and convenient, they won't be served in the same way they've grown accustomed to being served when going out to eat. Unhappy staff and unhappy customers is a lose-lose scenario for these restaurant chains.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Every time I go to the US, I'm always amazed at how far behind they are with payment systems. I end up swiping my credit card and signing for everything, which just feels so outdated. Everything should be chip and PIN or tap to pay at this point.

Ugh. We couldn't even get chip & PIN right when they switched to EMV compliant cards. We're still having to sign for everything.

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
II think the staff at these restaurants will come to hate these screens. Here's why...

These screens basically turn the wait staff into robots that carry orders to tables and refill drinks. That's all. They have no real interaction with the people they're serving. The fact of the matter is that I'm less likely to leave a generous tip for someone if I place the order myself and all they do is bring it to me and refill my drink.

While I love tech, I think these screens may be a bust in the long-term. I think staff will be unhappy because the average amount of each tip will go down; and customers will be unhappy because while the system is quick and convenient, they won't be served in the same way they've grown accustomed to being served when going out to eat. Unhappy staff and unhappy customers is a lose-lose scenario for these restaurant chains.

You've hit the nail on the head. I can see a few drinks getting spilt "accidentally" over these tabletop units. :D

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Most of the sit-down restaurants I go to here in Canada have portable POS machines. Even the "hole in the wall" place my wife and I like going to.

It's how customers want to pay. Keep customers happy, and they keep coming back.

I wish the U.S. followed Canada's example in that regard; but we're nowhere close to that -- if we ever even get there. As someone from the U.S., I remember the first time a waiter brought the POS machine to the table in Montreal years ago and I was momentarily confused. It truly is the way sit-down restaurants in the U.S. should work.

Reactions: 0970373
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.