Apple Pay Holdout Kroger Launches New 'Kroger Pay' Service

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Popular grocery store chain Kroger has launched a new mobile payments service called Kroger Pay, which it will be using in lieu of Apple Pay.

According to a WCPO, a local Cincinnati news site, Kroger Pay launched in Columbus and Colorado today, but will be expanding to all Kroger stores by the end of the year.

[​IMG]

Kroger Pay is QR-based, so to pay, users need to open up the app and generate a single-use QR code that's scanned at checkout when making a purchase.

Kroger customers can link any major debit or credit card to the Kroger Pay app, and it also includes a Kroger Rewards debit card for earning fuel points and other rewards with purchases.
    With Kroger embracing its own payment solution, it looks like the grocery store chain has no plans to introduce support for Apple Pay. Kroger did test support for Apple Pay in stores that support contactless payments, but reportedly discontinued the program "due to little interest by customers."

Kroger in 2018 told a Reddit user that it did not have plans to implement Apple Pay in any of its stores.

Kroger has been working on its payments service for more than two years, and has been accepting the Chase Pay digital wallet since 2017.

Article Link: Apple Pay Holdout Kroger Launches New 'Kroger Pay' Service

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

"Kroger Pay is one of the few mobile wallets that pairs loyalty and payment,"

Um Apple Pay can do this too

3. Trippy Bear macrumors newbie

4. Packdude macrumors member

Packdude

LOL, there was so 'little interest by customers' that they decided to spend 2 years working on their own app. Nice try Kroger.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Perhaps they discontinued the program "due to little interest by customers" but perhaps that was an excuse to go their own way in the hopes of collecting customer information and maintaining profits. In any case, customers will determine the success or failure of Kroger Pay, and whether or not Kroger finds reason to support Apple Pay as well.

6. AndrewWx macrumors regular

AndrewWx

Yes its pretty lame, but if it means I can use my phone at Ralph's I will sign up for the service and use it.

7. nibfiledotcom macrumors member

nibfiledotcom

You don’t implement Apple Pay; Apple and the banks already implemented it. You simply allow Apple Pay to work, along with every other contactless payment method out there.

Starting in 2020, both Visa and MasterCard will require merchants accepting payments via their networks to support contactless payment at all Point-of-Sale terminals in almost every market in the United States. The fallout from that should be interesting, because there are still more than a few large-scale retailers like Kroger who insist on implementing their own payment schemes so they can continue to harvest your data.

For now, I’ll be shopping exclusively at Giant Eagle instead. This is exactly how Walgreens got my loyalty, too.

8. Mikep976 macrumors newbie

Going the wrong way there Kroger...

Also, if you saw “little interest from customers” with Apple Pay, why would you think they would want to pull out their phone, open the app, wait for it to load, click to open the QR Code, and then have it scan.... versus just tapping their iPhone or Watch? This just screams “we want your data how we want it, not the privacy focused Apple way.”

9. mattyj2001 macrumors member

mattyj2001

I'll give them another two years before they support Apple Pay, if not sooner if any type of data breach occurs due to their archaic QR based system.

Someone at Kroger should talk to someone at Target to find out why they suddenly are abandoning Target Wallet and starting to support all the major contactless payment systems ...

10. Ortiz83 macrumors 6502

Hence “one of the few”.

11. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

Not a huge fan of the Kroger stores I’ve been to. And this seems like a bad strategy. In this current environment, where brick & mortar retailers are becoming less dominant and delivery services are gaining marketshare, it seems nuts to not let customers pay however they like. I certainly wouldn’t shop there if I had any other reasonable options that accepted ApplePay.

My prediction: they’ll cave within the next few years.

12. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I know, so why make the app in the first place? It makes no sense to spend money and resources developing it when it’s built into the software itself.

13. mrow macrumors 6502

Seriously. I use this at Duane Reade (Walgreens) on a weekly basis.

14. 1woodwrking macrumors newbie

Such digital payment services are a precursor to an unbelievable amount of government control via an end to privacy. Every aspect of our lives will be digitally regulated automatically by digital accounting systems that your phone is or soon will be tethered to.. which// btw exposes the one thing that everyone should by now know: That while government will be holding you and me accountable for every last half penny..? They themselves do not account for ANYTHING and are simply taxing us several generations into the future. The eventual cost of convenience and safety will be the end of both as no one should be allowed this much control.. no one that is accepting the Pope. Right? (wrong)

15. Ortiz83, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019

Ortiz83 macrumors 6502

True. But they want it their way. Can fault someone wanting it their way. But like target, I predict Apple Pay will eventually show up at Kroger in the future. They all fall slowly.

16. lenard macrumors 6502

So glad there are not anymore Kroger stores in North Carolina.....they could not make here so they claimed...

17. mrow macrumors 6502

Where did you see this? This would force all the remaining major retail holdouts to accept Apple Pay as a byproduct.

18. ebika macrumors 6502

This is super lame. Walgreens was able to make an electronic loyalty card that works with Apple Wallet and Google Pay just fine. We don't need another solution. Kroger Pay may use a one-time-use QR code, but at some point, they still have the credit card number to be able to transmit it to the payment processors. That's a weak security link. (Unless they actually are generating DANs and CVVs like Apple Pay and Google Pay do, which would be an idiotic weak link to add on to an existing chain of trust).

19. nibfiledotcom macrumors member

nibfiledotcom

Sure, or talk to MCX about the abject failure of CurrentC. The reason these offerings fail, and will always fail, is because they aren’t built to simplify the customer’s life, they exist to solve the retailers’ problems— including not being able to track you anymore.

20. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

Oh dear lord, why do these companies insist on learning the hard way.

21. tmiw macrumors 68000

Really, I don't think they had any intention of supporting contactless in the first place. They're one of the merchants who really don't like the credit card networks (to the point where they force debit routing and have even ended Visa acceptance at one of their brands), after all. I suspect their contactless pilot was deliberately set up to produce the results that they wanted so they can "justify" doing something else, but of course I can't prove it either way.

Indeed.

AFAIK, that requirement applies to at least Europe (and I believe other regions too), not the US. Has something changed since I last looked into it?

22. windywalks macrumors 6502

Two clicks on home button versus launching an app, authorizing and showing it to a cashier.
    This won't last a year.

23. nibfiledotcom macrumors member

nibfiledotcom

24. ineedamac macrumors 6502

Kroger bought Harris Teeter so any of those you see are Kroger

25. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

Funny, I live in Cincinnati and go to Kroger weekly and have never heard of or seen this "test" and would've definitely used it. Then again the "test" was probably only open to Kroger executives who had already come up with this turd of an idea.

26. MagMan1979 macrumors member

MagMan1979

This is yet another company who's management and IT departments have their heads WAY up their asses!