Apple Pay in Australia

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by tonyduffe, Jan 17, 2019.

1. tonyduffe macrumors newbie

tonyduffe

I thought it's time I start a dedicated Apple Pay in Australia thread on here.

2. chabig, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

chabig macrumors 603

I was in Sydney in early December and I used Apple Pay everywhere. In fact, it was accepted nearly everywhere there--much more than anywhere I've been in the USA.

3. tonyduffe, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019

tonyduffe thread starter macrumors newbie

tonyduffe

--- Post Merged, Jan 17, 2019 ---
    We have the highest acceptance rate of contactless payments anywhere in the world.

4. tonyduffe, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019

tonyduffe

The Commonwealth Bank and Bankwest support for Apple Pay that was teased late last year as coming in January. Launch today at midnight, Official launch press will probably be pushed at midday.

I'll be tracking features implemented and they will be reflected on my spreadsheet based on reports over the next couple of days.

5. Tech198 macrumors G5

My sister used Apple pay as grocery store.. Belmont Forum, Perth, WA. Spreadsheet looks like it only covers banks though. Any plans to improve on this or not ?

6. tonyduffe thread starter macrumors newbie

tonyduffe

That's correct it shows the banks that support Apple Pay and what features they have chosen to implement. Improve on it in what way? By adding retailers/merchants? That would be unnecessary in Australia.

7. tonyduffe thread starter macrumors newbie

tonyduffe

Whirlpool members have noticed that Citibank in Australia has finally added support for debit cards they have supported credit cards in Australia for quite awhile.

I have now updated my spreadsheet to reflect this.

8. tonyduffe, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019

tonyduffe

Suncorp added eftpos Support for Apple Pay on Tuesday, 7 May 2019 Notably for dual-network cards joining ANZ to be the second bank offering this functionality.

apple-pay-iphonex-cardadded-281x558.png

Like with ANZ you manually have to re-add your card once you do so you'll be presented with a menu that allows you to choose which payments network the card will use. Can read more about the process here in Apple's Support Documentation.

This will now allow for Suncorp Visa debit customers to get cash out at point of sale at select merchants in Australia and avoid credit/debit surcharges on contactless payments that normally are incurred when you use the Visa payment network at merchant that choose to surcharge.

Press Releases: eftpos and Suncorp

9. tonyduffe, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019

tonyduffe

NAB (National Australia Bank) Australia’s fourth largest bank announced Apple Pay finally today alongside there subsidiary UBank. This now only leaves one of the major banks in Australia holding out which is now Westpac.

The breakdown of the bank's implementations of Apple Pay how complete they are will be posted probably later today on the spreadsheets.

10. tonyduffe thread starter macrumors newbie

tonyduffe

Some recent updates... Woolworths Credit Cards now have Apple Pay Support.

credit-cards-apple-pay-iphone_446x778.jpg

Woolworths and the following institutions have been added to the Apple Pay bank support list here however, the following institutions haven't made it to the support article yet.
    • Coles Financial Services
    • Paywith
    • Vault Payment
    • Wildcard
    Apple Pay doesn't appear to be switched on as of yet at Coles or Wildcard.

Wildcard's implementation is going through various stages at the moment as has been reported in our chat room here. they appear to be working on the final stages of their implementation which is card verification.

Status of the last two, Paywith and Vault Payment is unknown.

Thanks to members of our UserNext: Digital Banking discord community Kyle-K, TonyDuffe and BeauGiles.

11. WebHead macrumors regular

Bank of Queensland have been talking about Apple Pay since it was first announced. At this rate they'll be the last to actually roll it out.