Apple Pay in Duane Reade/Walgreens

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TomTomHatesCats, Oct 23, 2014.

1. TomTomHatesCats macrumors regular

TomTomHatesCats

So far I've used Apple Pay twice at my local Duane Reade.

The first time, I let the cashier know I'd pay with Apple Pay, and she chose a debit transaction without asking me. So, after verifying through TouchID, I had to interact with the card reader because it prompted me for my PIN number.

The second time, I let the cashier know in advance I'd use Apple Pay as credit. This time, after verifying through TouchID, I expected to be finished. Unfortunately, I still needed to click through the card reader a couple of times to verify the payment.

A bit different from the single TouchID verification step I was expecting.

Does anyone have an Apple Pay experience where no interaction after TouchID was necessary?

2. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

The cashiers don't need to know you can select what ever you want. But if you use a debit card it still asks you what you want because the pin pad is unsure what you want. If you use credit it just pays for it. The cashier doesn't need to select anything on their end. Some cashiers don't know what they are doing at all.

Source: I'm employee

3. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I'm not sure why you'd need to tell the cashier anything. You just hold the phone up to the terminal and go from there. That's what I did at Walgreen the other day. If you use a debit card, you touch the phone to the terminal and it should ask you if you want credit or debit just like it would if you swiped the card. Some places, it seems, asks for the pin and some don't. I'm sure this will all get standardized in the near future. In the meantime, choose credit. You don't need to tell the cashier anything about paying with your phone.

4. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Do you NEED to touch the phone to the terminal? I thought its "contactless" with NFC. I thought you just hold the phone NEAR the terminal? Or does that depend on the store?

5. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I say "touch" but it just needs to be close enough to touch for the chip to be in range (10cm or less). On my enabled cards, I always tapped the corner of it on the terminal so it's just habit for me. Apologies for the confusion.

6. TomTomHatesCats thread starter macrumors regular

TomTomHatesCats

I preemptively specified "credit" to the cashier because when I didn't the first time, she checked me out as a debit transaction. I was hoping I didn't have to say anything either!

7. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Duane Reade fail. Also note all of those screens where they want to you donate to their list of charities they support. I'm like WTF.

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yep, at Walgreens. Waved the phone, hit touch ID, and boom, done.

9. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

It's basically still credit so you don't need to say "ApplePay." It would be like saying "plastic" if you wanted to use a physical credit card. haha.

When I did mine, I didn't say anything to the cashier, I just put my phone up, the TouchID came up, I approved it. Sale went though and the cashier said, "oh that's cool. You paid with your phone!" We were both very excited about it. lol.

10. Xiph0s macrumors regular

Same thing at CVS. It was effortless and painless

11. newellj macrumors 603

Same here. Almost too easy.