Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
I wouldn’t wonder if Sparkasse was trying to get Apple to allow them billing their customers for adding a card to Apple Pay (no way in hell Apple would ever allow that). This wouldn’t even be that far fetched seeing that the first Sparkassen are starting to introduce fees of 6€/yr for a girocard in Mobiles Bezahlen app. This is ridiculous.

Just shows us how backward thinking Sparkasse unfortunately is. They’re literally butchering their own solutions from the start, not even taking into account that 80% of their custotmers have the “German Angst” of using anything digital that has to do with payments.
Clearly they’re led by people in their 60s who don’t event care about anything anymore.
I wouldn’t wonder if Sparkasse was trying to get Apple to allow them billing their customers for adding a card to Apple Pay (no way in hell Apple would ever allow that). This wouldn’t even be that far fetched seeing that the first Sparkassen are starting to introduce fees of 6€/yr for a girocard in Mobiles Bezahlen app. This is ridiculous.

Just shows us how backward thinking Sparkasse unfortunately is. They’re literally butchering their own solutions from the start, not even taking into account that 80% of their custotmers have the “German Angst” of using anything digital that has to do with payments.
Clearly they’re led by people in their 60s who don’t event care about anything anymore.
Funny enough their solution is more successful than Google Pay or the other Apps on the market ;)

Strange people these germans ...

kkrdvc

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Funny enough their solution is more successful than Google Pay or the other Apps on the market ;)

Strange people these germans ...
It has to do with the fact that Google Pay currently only supports real credit cards (only N26 is debit) and Germans love debit cards. But that’s going to change soon with comdirect offering girocard in Google Pay next year.

Stefan.

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
It has to do with the fact that Google Pay currently only supports real credit cards (only N26 is debit) and Germans love debit cards. But that’s going to change soon with comdirect offering girocard in Google Pay next year.

You can add PayPal to GP.

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
What are you trying to say?

Some regional event has nothing to do with AP. AP for Sparkassen has been "confirmed" for Q3/4 2019.
"Umstellung unserer Informationstechnik"?
Was it really confirmed for this timeframe? Or did they show it because of NDA.

Last edited:

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Oh sorry. Apple Pay is surely nothing, you have to close your local departments. Perhaps a merge with another regional branch?

kkrdvc

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Banks have IT-Umstellungen all the time. Nothing new nor specific to Apple Pay.

As for the “announcement” of Apple Pay for SPK for 19/Q3/4, there was a presentation slide where they had their plans for mobile payments on a timeline and there was a point for Q3/4 2019 which said “Mobiles Bezahlen andere Anbieter mit Fingerabdruck und Gesichtserkennung; Mastercard, Visa, girocard”

To that, a PR guy of girocard/ DK replied on Twitter that that’s the announcement of Apple Pay for SPK.

Nishko

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Oh sorry. Apple Pay is surely nothing, you have to close your local departments. Perhaps a merge with another regional branch?
Apple shuts down there homepages for product launches. Don´t take this to serious. I know that this is done because of marketing.
[doublepost=1540237270][/doublepost]
SSK Düsseldorf will be launching mobiles bezahlen by 05.11.2018. So that's likely what is being prepared.
Not that hard to find out either, or were you trying to hype everyone up ;)

"Confirmed" here https://twitter.com/ilimburg/status/1052207258950672384
Just hope. So I´ll still need to use a workaround. To bad boon isn´t free for 12 months anymore.

MichaelDuCoudray

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2018
I think the 1,50€/month for boon is worth it... and you can geht cashback for topping up with miles&more cards and boonˋs own actions
Just hope. So I´ll still need to use a workaround. To bad boon isn´t free for 12 months anymore.

JWThewes

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
I think the 1,50€/month for boon is worth it... and you can geht cashback for topping up with miles&more cards and boonˋs own actions

But boon is prepaid, correct. I have to move money to boon to be able to
use it via ApplePay? It‘s not possible to redirect a payment to another CC, correct?
This was the main reason I left boon. If there‘s another possibility please let me know

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
That’s why I don’t really use my N26 Card. I don't want to keep an eye on my N26 wallet and top it up if I need to. I know how much money is on my central account and I dont really want to think about anything else...

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
Offtopic: was reading about curve. It seems all their cards are „business cards“ which gets them a higher fee from the shopowner (or the bank behind etc). Don’t know if this is still true but that’s how they make money...
[doublepost=1540272963][/doublepost]
But that’s where auto topup come in handy. Works for me really good for everyday groceries etc.

I were thinking bout boon aswell and I think the yearly limit is not high enough to pay everything I am paying using my card. Or was it bunq? Dunno anymore.

Yeah, auto top up seems to be handy there but then I would just see something like 200€ N26, 180€ N26 etc in the banking Programm. No real overview where I have payed... sure could check N26 account. But would somehow have to merge the information

Curve seems to be a bit better here, as far as I know they just forward the payment. And i can add recipes to they payments afterwards. Sending them as email and putting it into my DMS and I might be happy. Maybe a can make myself write some templates to parse the data from the recipes and write them to a database which makes me then even more happy :)

(I am a programmer and projectleader for product information systems, media asset management and document management, so this would make it kinda easy for me. But that’s no real use case for others)

Last edited:

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
But that’s where auto topup come in handy. Works for me really good for everyday groceries etc.
Yepp, ist works. But it only says „boon“ on your regular bill. And this sucks.

For N26, i tried them for a few weeks and there is absolutely nothing that would make ne change. It‘s a normal online bank with reduced functionality. I even don’t like the app as I have to add a „contact“ to do a money transfer for example. Which is ridiculous for one time transfers.

Still don’t get the hype.

@curve
Jupp, it is charged as a company card.

Karma_isA_8itch

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2018
... thinking bout boon ...

I really don’t want to criticize you for your English and it’s not my style correcting other people’s mistakes but you freak me out with this „bout“. You keep writing this word over and over again I just have to say this now.

It’s either „about“ or 'bout but please stop with bout. It doesn’t sound cool and if you use it wrong it is annoying as hell just check in your dictionary what „bout“ means.

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
I really don’t want to criticize you for your English and it’s not my style correcting other people’s mistakes but you freak me out with this „bout“. You keep writing this word over and over again I just have to say this now.

It’s either „about“ or 'bout but please stop with bout. It doesn’t sound cool and if you use it wrong it is annoying as hell just check in your dictionary what „bout“ means.

Sorry 'bout that. trying to keep an eye on it...

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Yepp, ist works. But it only says „boon“ on your regular bill. And this sucks.

He?
You mean the charging? Yes it only states Boon. But you can add Boon to Banking4i or Outbank and see realtime the booking that boon does incl. all information...
[doublepost=1540277070][/doublepost]
Yeah, auto top up seems to be handy there but then I would just see something like 200€ N26, 180€ N26 etc in the banking Programm. No real overview where I have payed... sure could check N26 account. But would somehow have to merge the information

Boon can be added to Outbank and Banking4i as an account where you see every booking.

Curve seems to be a bit better here, as far as I know they just forward the payment. And i can add recipes to they payments afterwards. Sending them as email and putting it into my DMS and I might be happy. Maybe a can make myself write some templates to parse the data from the recipes and write them to a database which makes me then even more happy :)

You will not be glad with the receipts. They dont state anything except the full payment price. You get the same info from your account.
The only thing thats great with Curve is, that they will forward text and MCC to the target credit card. But the add a CRV* in front of the balance.
What is bad with curve is the hidden costs. When you use curve in foreign countries, they will start to charge you when you paid over 500 Pounds. So be careful for the small printed stuff!

And i have just made the first test with "Go back in time" function. I can tell you later how it worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alanin

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
This is currently very OT (so ignore, but I think it will help some rearrange their finances): I don't see the problem in running several accounts. In fact, it's a very smart way to manage your finances and set aside money for different things. You should have a very good first account (and get your wages payed into that account). From that first account, then set some aside for savings / stocks (if you're into that) and then a second account for expenditures.

Regarding this second account: Calculate how much you need for non-fixed expenditures (food, petrol, etc.). I keep money on the first account for insurances, direct debits, subscriptions and already factor that in. Then I transfer a fixed amount at the end of each month (pay day) to that second account just for expenditures. The great thing is, that you can easily switch accounts without the need of having to keep telling other people your new bank details and you are forced to budget much more carefully every single day of the month.

Many people make a fatal mistake: Wages + other income -> Into the one account they have -> Spend over the entire month, have other fixed direct debits and then find that they run into trouble towards the end of the month -> Hello overdraft!

That's why I say: If you have one main account and you're disappointed that it won't support Apple Pay, this might be the chance to get your finances to the next level. For Germans in this thread (and I'm assuming it's most here): Google "Zweikontenmodell".

I have switched my account for expenditures several times and it doesn't cause any trouble. Added benefit: It also lets me play around with different services and get to know its strengths and drawbacks. One example in the UK would be Monzo. For me it's the best account for my everyday use out there, but it just doesn't cut it as my main account for income, cash deposits, savings, investment. It has the best features to keep track of my everyday spending and it's clever to use these strengths with different accounts to your advantage.

Admittedly, I feel N26 is much weaker in many areas and although bunq does many things better than N26, the price offset and lack of any analytics are a no go. For Germany I'll be using N26 for the time being. I like boon., but it has exchange fees (N26 has none), no physical card, no unlimited spending limits and it just acts as an extension to your primary account. Plus: You are forced to use your credit card. I don't know how you all prefer it, but everyday stuff I always want debited from my account straight away.

Just some food for thought...

PS: I have used Curve and the idea is great, but the confusion of DCC and problems regarding things like chargeback or just using one card (which has many more points of failure) lead me to prefer using my banks cards directly.
[doublepost=1540280909][/doublepost]Ok, now this is interesting. Rudolf Linsenbarth (Twitter @holimuk) said a while back, that he asked his contact and it was confirmed the launch would be at the beginning of November.

bunq has just announced another keynote on the 6th November (a Tuesday). As they usually don't really have that much to report and Apple Pay was such a big thing last time (bunq update #7), maybe they might get to speak about launching AP in Germany? It all seems to fit comfortably.
Here: https://together.bunq.com/d/5001-bunq-update-9-is-coming

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Addition no.3: https://www.it-finanzmagazin.de/sibylle-strack-banken-apple-pay-79583/

I can sense from her answers that the Sparkassen are very, very worried. My favorites: "Als Bank riskiert man, als wenig kundenfreundlich wahrgenommen zu werden, wenn man sich verweigert, ohne gleichzeitig Alternativen anzubieten." and "Das auch, weil die Liste der Banken, die beim Deutschlandstart von Apple Pay dabei sind, wächst. Dort finden sich auch Banken wie N26 mit einem kostenlosen Konto. Demgegenüber werden alle, die sich verschließen, ins Hintertreffen geraten. Insbesondere die Banken, die sich über Kontoentgelte als Qualitätsanbieter positionieren, werden sich fragen lassen müssen, warum sie außen vor sind."

I never thought they would feel the pressure from the "oh, not so important" FinTechs and private banks. Their call. I'm loving it.

EDIT: Yep, she doesn't work for the DSGV any more, but she was the one who shouted "Apple won't get past us!" back in 2014.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.