Apple Pay in the Real World

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macnificant, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Macnificant, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

Macnificant macrumors 6502a

I love the idea of having all my cards in the iPhone 6 but how many vendors/corner stores and restaurants etc have Apple Pay available?

2. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

A surprising amount.

Or, at least, a surprising amount of the ones I do a huge percentage of my shopping with.

Weekly, I visit Whole Foods, Target, Petco, Safeway, among others. All of these places are onboard with Apple Pay and they represent a large percentage of my regular shopping.

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I think the subject of this thread needs to be edited to "Apple Pay in the real world"

NFC is just one technology being leveraged and can do many other things. I thought that's what this thread was about.

4. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I was at Panera the other day and they had new NFC capable terminals and signage all over promoting them.

5. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

- ... in the US :(

6. mr1581 macrumors 6502

Will the current NFC terminals support apple pay? or will they need to be upgraded as well??

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Most will support. Same physical hardware.

They *might* or might not need a back-end software update to support the secure tokenization.

8. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

The answer is none, at least if you live outside of the US.

9. webbuzz, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I wonder if stores like Starbucks will integrate ApplePay with their cards. It wouldn't make sense not to.

eta: The ApplePay page seems to indicated that it can be used in the app.

10. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Eventually probably. But you also have to consider all the other contenders for NFC payments for retail merchants in the USA.

Starbucks, for example, has a very visible stake in the success of Square payments. While not NFC, it likely prevented them from jumping on board with Apply Payments as a first mover.

Then there's Paypal Payments, Google Wallet, ISIS, etc.

Technicall as long as a merchant can process NFC payments Apple Pay will be no different for them (their POS systems and NFC readers just see "NFC tendered" effectively, regardless of device type/vendor). But alliances have already been in place for awhile and some merchants won't move until/unless they have no choice.

11. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I know right. I hope it takes off.

One thing for sure is many counties already been using the EMV or IC Chip. US is still catching up. Wait, we haven't even start it yet.

Most vendors don't even know what the chip is in US. When I travel to Asia, I gave them my Gap Visa Card, it does not have the EMV Chip. The merchant gives me the look and when behind the store to bring out the old swap card reader. Talk about old technology with swapping.

12. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Starbucks was listed as one of the partcipating merchants in the product announcement presentation.

----------

If NFC takes off in the US, the chip technology may be skipped altogether, since it's not even used in the US yet.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Too late, the road map is in place to roll it out.

14. webbuzz, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Starbucks was one of 18 other companies that will accept ApplePay. I was asking more about the integration of the rewards cards with ApplePay.

eta: According to the ApplePay page it will use the Starbucks app.

Square is merely a processor for Starbucks transactions, the goal was for Starbucks to use Square's hardware for POS.

----------

Agreed. Chip still needs to happen, and will happen.