Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
If I'm paying contactless, I tend to use my card to be honest. It's as easy to get my card out as to get my phone out. I have used Apple Pay from the phone in Wetherspoons though to take advantage of their new(ish) at seat service.
That's the beauty of the Apple Watch. I don't have to get anything out.

Reactions: iGeek2014

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I was in Leicester last Thursday and had a couple of interesting conversations with two ladies (in Pandora and Pizza Hut respectively).

Pandora had the Apple Pay logo on their PIN Pad and I asked the cashier if they were >£30 or higher. She wasn't sure, I tried it... and no it's still capped at £30.

She went on to tell me she didn't really trust it because if someone stole her phone they'd have access to her bank cards.

Seemed surprised when I mentioned 'Find my iPhone' and the ability to wipe said cards to prevent unauthorised usage and the fact that they'd need to a. have a registered fingerprint and/or know the passcode to attempt to use the service.

Similar conversation in Pizza Hut too.

Last edited:

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I've noticed this morning at work Tesco Clubcards are changing.

One feature is the introduction of contactless... I've emailed the customer service team to see if this will lead to Apple Pay integration.

Reactions: arkitect

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
I've noticed this morning at work Tesco Clubcards are changing.

One feature is the introduction of contactless... I've emailed the customer service team to see if this will lead to Apple Pay integration.
This sounds interesting. So new clubcards will have NFC? Let's hope this does lead to Apple Pay integration.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
They will, yes. According to the poster all active Clubcard members should receive them by July 30.
This sounds like a step in the right direction. If retailers implement NFC in their loyalty cards there will hopefully be a higher chance of Apple Pay loyalty adoption. Does this poster offer much info? Thanks for letting us know.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
This sounds like a step in the right direction. If retailers implement NFC in their loyalty cards there will hopefully be a higher chance of Apple Pay loyalty adoption. Does this poster offer much info? Thanks for letting us know.

Just that they are adding NFC to Clubcard, they are making the barcode 2D Secure (whatever that means!) but it'll still have a mag-stripe for Pay@Pump.

Reactions: azing

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Disappointing to see person to person Apple Pay is only US only. Hopefully won't be long till it's here.
Since it won't be until towards the end of the year when it is released my hope is that the Apple Pay team will be trying to settle deals with banks to implement it for when it's released with iOS 11, or shortly afterwards. Most banks over here now have the option to pay your friends and family directly from the app and free of charge, hopefully they see Apple Pay as just an easier way of implementing simple bank transfers. The more automation available to them will over time require them to have less staff at branches, possibly less branches, and certainly less staff to employ for telephone banking, so they should hopefully just see it as an extension of the services they offer.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Since it won't be until towards the end of the year when it is released my hope is that the Apple Pay team will be trying to settle deals with banks to implement it for when it's released with iOS 11, or shortly afterwards. Most banks over here now have the option to pay your friends and family directly from the app and free of charge, hopefully they see Apple Pay as just an easier way of implementing simple bank transfers. The more automation available to them will over time require them to have less staff at branches, possibly less branches, and certainly less staff to employ for telephone banking, so they should hopefully just see it as an extension of the services they offer.

I hope the P2P feature is released over here because, with Touch ID, it must be much more secure than the current PayM service?

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I hope the P2P feature is released over here because, with Touch ID, it must be much more secure than the current PayM service?
If your app for your banking or payments services require touch ID to enter then maybe it's no safer, except for double ended encryption.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Quick update re: contactless Clubcards. Seems the information is very scant at the moment. The lady who emailed me back says she gets the impression they won't be Apple Pay ready but they take customer feedback on board to improve the experience.

So get emailing!

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
I don't see why you'd want the Apple Pay person to person feature in the UK, PayM is much better as the money goes directly into your bank account.

The US banking system is much worse than ours, paying someone directly into their bank isn't really possible with mobile banking apps, or even online banking, not as quickly and easily as we do here in the UK anyway.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I don't see why you'd want the Apple Pay person to person feature in the UK, PayM is much better as the money goes directly into your bank account.

The US banking system is much worse than ours, paying someone directly into their bank isn't really possible with mobile banking apps, or even online banking, not as quickly and easily as we do here in the UK anyway.

PayM has had next to no promotion, I’ve not heard anyone mention it (other than this conversation)

Whilst it’s good that the money comes to a bank account, sending isn’t as easy as this new Apple Pay functionality.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
PayM has had next to no promotion, I’ve not heard anyone mention it (other than this conversation)

Whilst it’s good that the money comes to a bank account, sending isn’t as easy as this new Apple Pay functionality.

It's no harder than paying an existing contact from your banking app, you just choose a contact number instead of a Payee and it isn't limited to the Apple ecosystem.

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
United Kingdom

We use it at work cos lunch is kind of a big deal at our place. Go KFC 2-3 times a week sometimes haha.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA

I don't disagree that the US banking system is a bit, uh, antiquated in some ways, but we've had p-to-p payments via mobile apps for a few years now. This works through a system called ClearXChange which is run by the big banks, and they are now in the process of rolling out a new version of that called Zelle. There is also Paypal's Venmo service, which is quite popular as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Apple Pay's p-to-p works, but they are entering a crowded market here as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.