Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Furzul

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2013
Derbyshire, England
[doublepost=1504265433][/doublepost]
Yikes! Doesn't sound good.
I have become so nonchalant that I only go about with my keys and iPhone… I just assume it is all there. :)[/QUOTE]

I use Apply Pay quite a lot, but don't trust it that much. I always make sure I have my wallet aswell. Defeating the object a bit I know, but belt and braces.
[doublepost=1504348011][/doublepost]
Could be an iCloud issue re: Apple Pay as I added my Starling Visa Debit card to my Series 0 Apple Watch last week and it kept saying "Card not Available" for ages afterwards.

Do Starling do a visa debit card? Thought it was just master card

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
A warning for anyone using the updated Shell app to pay for fuel at the pump. If you haven't already done so since Aug 17th, you'll have to re-register your account and then also link your Fill Up & Go to it. I've got to the pump twice now and found that Fill Up & Go wasn't set up. 2nd time, I'd set up the new account & then found that I still couldn't use it. As far as I can recall, there was nothing in the updated app to explain the required steps.

Last edited:

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Was Shell's Fill Up & Go capped at £30 when using Apple Pay or was it limitless?

One quirk I have noticed with my Lloyds issued AmEx is when I use AP it shows up online as a Chip & PIN purchase rather than contactless.

Still so long as it works in places like Tesco & McDonalds I'm not going to complain!

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
United Kingdom
Was Shell's Fill Up & Go capped at £30 when using Apple Pay or was it limitless?

One quirk I have noticed with my Lloyds issued AmEx is when I use AP it shows up online as a Chip & PIN purchase rather than contactless.

Still so long as it works in places like Tesco & McDonalds I'm not going to complain!
Nope. And Shell are >£30 in store as well.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I had to use our local Shell garage yesterday (our Asda is closed for refurbishment and the other station had a tanker and they close during deliveries) so I’m not a usual shell customer....

Am I right in thinking that when you use fill and go you specify upfront how much your going to put in? It was surprised how clunky the experience felt. I gave up and just paid with Apple Pay in the shop itself (£52).

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
United Kingdom
I had to use our local Shell garage yesterday (our Asda is closed for refurbishment and the other station had a tanker and they close during deliveries) so I’m not a usual shell customer....

Am I right in thinking that when you use fill and go you specify upfront how much your going to put in? It was surprised how clunky the experience felt. I gave up and just paid with Apple Pay in the shop itself (£52).
Yeah, it sets a limit and prevents the pump from going over it. It then charges you that full amount and refunds you the difference after. My problem with the app is it wouldn't apply my loyalty points on both occasions I used the app despite it saying it was set up for it.

Reactions: iGeek2014

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess

I agree about the clunky feeling of the app though that could be because it was the first time I’d used it so had to do the setup too. The only reason I did is because I got a PayPal promo for £5 of free fuel. Doubt I’ll be using it again any time soon as I very rarely get fuel from shell.

Reactions: azing and iGeek2014

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
It took me a while to first start using the app as setup did seem clunky & it’s not good to be settling it up when at the pump itself. Once I was used to it though, it was easy and does save time. I’ll probably have to increase my limit from £40 now that petrol has gone up so much - I can’t get a full tank from 1/8 full any longer. Annoyingly, the next limit up is £60.

Despite a few glitches occasionally - delays in confirmation screen appearing - I prefer the app as I rarely buy anything from the shop, so the app is a lot quicker. When the app first stated, I think you had to scan a barcode by the pump but now you just enter the number of the pump.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Yes I think I remember seeing the tutorial on YouTube where you had to scan a barcode when you arrived at the pump.

I visited the Tesco in Burton upon Trent last night; noticed their self-service machines have a new software interface.

Didn't spend over £30 but the next time I'm in there I'll give it a go and see if it accepts Apple Pay >£30.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Probably been posted way back in this thread but Sainsbury's now accepts Apple Pay for payments over £30. They were advertising it on all of the trolleys. I spent £44 this afternoon and used my Apple Watch to pay. It went straight through.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Probably been posted way back in this thread but Sainsbury's now accepts Apple Pay for payments over £30. They were advertising it on all of the trolleys. I spent £44 this afternoon and used my Apple Watch to pay. It went straight through.
They have since they implemented contactless, about a year ago now.

Reactions: iGeek2014

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Just wish Tesco would hurry up now and roll out HVPs or at least follow Walgreen's and allow us to Touch ID with Clubcard then use Apple Pay straight after.

I have said this before but you'd think Boots (whom Walgreen's own) would have the Advantage Card in Apple Pay by now!

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
So, anyone interested in the X? How do we feel about using our faces to pay for stuff?
The process on stage looked a bit clunky in my opinion. It didn't seem as simple as using Touch ID to pay but I may be wrong.

Has anyone ventured on to iOS 11 GM yet? I took the plunge. Each transaction has it's own info page now. I'm not a fan of the all white background in wallet though, preferred the darker look.
IMG_2C4818CEDABF-1.jpeg

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
London, getting on the Tube during rush hour (pretty much anytime these days. :p)

Touch ID:
1. Finger on my iPhone and place it on the scanner.
2. Gate opens.

Face ID:
1. Double click power button.
2. Look at phone.
3. Place on scanner.
4. Gate opens (hopefully)

This had better work seamlessly or there will be lots of unhappy people.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
The process on stage looked a bit clunky in my opinion. It didn't seem as simple as using Touch ID to pay but I may be wrong.

Has anyone ventured on to iOS 11 GM yet? I took the plunge. Each transaction has it's own info page now. I'm not a fan of the all white background in wallet though, preferred the darker look.
View attachment 717342

I've downloaded it to my iPhone SE and will have a look later on when I have time.

Agree with you the darker background looked better.

Isn't the first time I've used Apple Pay on my Watch without having my iPhone on me but felt weird using it for £70 in Sainsbury's yesterday.

Half expected someone to jump out and ask me what I was doing LOL!

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015

View attachment 717342

I have time for this!

Only a matter of time before we have item information per transaction.. paper receipt-less world here we come.

The white background makes the app look unfinished imo.

Reactions: azing

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Just seen that the BA app now allows Amex to be used on Apple Pay. Odd that it didn't before given their partnership on the Avios cards!

I CBA checking but if the BA one is anything like the VA AMEX card, there's also a visa secondary card that gives half the rewards. That's probably a good reason for BA to be slow in allowing it to be used... less points to give out that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.