Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
No.

That’s how MasterCard make their money, but wouldn’t Apple be partnering with a bank/card issuer and not master card?

Therefore the promotional offers would be paid for by the bank rather than from the 0.3% interchange fee.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
That’s how MasterCard make their money, but wouldn’t Apple be partnering with a bank/card issuer and not master card?

Therefore the promotional offers would be paid for by the bank rather than from the 0.3% interchange fee.

If offering cashback on purchases (uncapped) was a viable promotion in order to make more money from consumers paying interest... wouldn't at least one issuer in the UK be doing that now instead of reducing cashback or scrapping it altogether?

It makes sense when paid out of the interchange fee. That's now too small.

Reactions: d123

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
I honestly couldn't care less what they do, I'd get the Apple Card just for the integration with the Wallet app as my current CC providers app is trash.

And Apple couldn’t care less for a credit card that wouldn’t make them any money.

But I’ve just noticed it’s really nothing to do with finances or cash back for you, isnt it?

only reason I'd get the Apple Card is for the metal card because it's "cool"

• Haha
Reactions: UltraInstinct

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
Haven’t noticed this, until today, but looking at the page for iPhone 12 Pro when you scroll down site and come to MagSafe accessories when it shows the Card Wallet attaching to iPhone Apple Card slides in.

Not reading anything whatsoever into it but the same happens on Apple’s French site but not on their Australian nor Canadian site.

Left: UK Right: Australia.

Attachments

• 0F763F2A-647B-45D8-B823-03162C2442ED.png
    0F763F2A-647B-45D8-B823-03162C2442ED.png
    592.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 8A0F1F69-AEA6-4E7E-BB66-520C7EADB979.png
    8A0F1F69-AEA6-4E7E-BB66-520C7EADB979.png
    793.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Wow
Reactions: KaPOWitsCHRIS

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Haven’t noticed this, until today, but looking at the page for iPhone 12 Pro when you scroll down site and come to MagSafe accessories when it shows the Card Wallet attaching to iPhone Apple Card slides in.

Not reading anything whatsoever into it but the same happens on Apple’s French site but not on their Australian nor Canadian site.

I'm sure it has since the 12 came out.

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK

just checked the video file that's used.. Apple US, UK, and France all use the US media file and the AU and CA sites use a WW media file.. so.. dunno. maybe? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: iGeek2019

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
just checked the video file that's used.. Apple US, UK, and France all use the US media file and the AU and CA sites use a WW media file.. so.. dunno. maybe? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Perhaps it’s an oversight on Apple’s part ??‍♂️ ?

As above, not reading anything into it, just didn’t recall seeing it before despite it being there since iPhone 12 launched.

If it does ever launch it’ll be interesting to see what they can offer given that American Express are changing their cash back rates again later on in the year.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Hi all,

It’s been a while since I’ve been on this thread but thought it was the best place to start a discussion and see what I can do next.

One of the main security features of Apple Pay is that the merchant you’re paying never sees your real card number, right?
Well my wife has just placed an order through an online retailer (Glossier) and used Apple Pay like she usually does but this time with a new card she’s never used there before.

After her order went through she was looking at her account and saw that the card had been saved in her payment methods on the actual website as if we’d used their checkout and not Apple Pay and it was the actual card number saved too, not the Device Account Number. We also saw that all of her previous cards had been saved too despite only ever using Apple Pay to buy from this retailer.

Anyone have any ideas how this can happen and if it’s happened to them or have I misunderstood this feature of Apple Pay?

If not, this is quite worrying as the retailer has not only been able to see the real card number but also stored it on their website too.

Should I raise this concern with Apple?

EDIT: I’ve just checked. I used the website once to buy Christmas gifts for my wife so setup my own account, used Apple Pay (it’s a card I rarely use so the transaction is still there in my wallet app) and never input my card details to the site itself and the card is saved on my account on the website and I can even use it through their checkout to make another purchase. This surely isn’t right?

Last edited:

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection

Reading this, and assuming I’ve understood it correctly, something definitely isn’t right as Apple don’t store the PAN from cards added to Apple Pay…

I would reach out to them and see what they say?

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
The merchant can still get the last 4 digits of the card (as it's part of the authorization message) and will usually display it if it's being saved into your account.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North

Reading this, and assuming I’ve understood it correctly, something definitely isn’t right as Apple don’t store the PAN from cards added to Apple Pay…

I would reach out to them and see what they say?
Thanks for that. So if I understand Apple Pay shouldn't even have the full card number anyway... but the retailer has the card saved on their servers ready for another purchase... this isn't good.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
The merchant can still get the last 4 digits of the card (as it's part of the authorization message) and will usually display it if it's being saved into your account.
Thanks. So I guess if the merchant only see the last 4 digits that's not really a problem then.
The real issue here is that the card has been saved to their servers (or 3rd party checkout provider) ready for another purchase...

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

Are you sure about this? I’m pretty certain Apple Pay is anonymous and only the device identifier gets passed to the vendors.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
I rang Apple Pay support just now and after a few times being kept on hold they basically said they can't help me.
They said since it's just this retailer that it seems to be a problem then I should contact them and see what they say...

I don't think they really believed what I was saying. They seemed to think that I MUST have inputted my card details somewhere on the site beforehand and that's how the website has them, but I can promise you I haven't. They seemed to think it's impossible for this to happen because of encryption etc. so it can't have happened... which I totally understand, but I'm still baffled as to how this has happened...

Last edited:

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
@akash.nu

100% sure. Until very recently I worked in the merchant acquiring business. It‘s part of the standard authorisation message. Obviously they get the full PAN of the virtual card but the last 4 digits is also passed on of the real card number (the only exception being transit operators who get the full card number). Nothing can be done with just the last 4 digits, so it’s not a security issue.

It’s really a convenience thing as most people aren’t going to remember all their virtual card numbers and it does also give the option for the merchant to print both last 4 digit card numbers on the receipt for card present transactions (which makes returns easier as you can use the physical card as well). Some terminals in North America actually do that, I haven’t seen it in the UK (although Square terminals might do it, as they do it in NA).

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
@akash.nu

100% sure. Until very recently I worked in the merchant acquiring business. It‘s part of the standard authorisation message. Obviously they get the full PAN of the virtual card but the last 4 digits is also passed on of the real card number (the only exception being transit operators who get the full card number). Nothing can be done with just the last 4 digits, so it’s not a security issue.

It’s really a convenience thing as most people aren’t going to remember all their virtual card numbers and it does also give the option for the merchant to print both last 4 digit card numbers on the receipt for card present transactions (which makes returns easier as you can use the physical card as well). Some terminals in North America actually do that, I haven’t seen it in the UK (although Square terminals might do it, as they do it in NA).
Very interesting, thanks for that! So the retailer gets the full device account number (essentially the virtual card number) so is this what could have happened here?
The retailer has just saved the virtual card number as a future payment method?

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Very interesting, thanks for that! So the retailer gets the full device account number (essentially the virtual card number) so is this what could have happened here?
The retailer has just saved the virtual card number as a future payment method?
Correct. They are just showing the last 4 digits of the real card number to avoid confusion for most people.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Correct. They are just showing the last 4 digits of the real card number to avoid confusion for most people.
Right. I guess I'm not too happy with the fact that retailers can still save the virtual card number and then that can be used for future payments, it doesn't seem as secure as I first thought.

Reactions: akash.nu

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Right. I guess I'm not too happy with the fact that retailers can still save the virtual card number and then that can be used for future payments, it doesn't seem as secure as I first thought.
Yeah I would point out though that there is merchant specific tokenized data included with the DAN, so it's not like they could have a breach, have the details stolen and used elsewhere. They could only be used at that merchant. The issuer would decline the transaction if the same details were used elsewhere.

Reactions: akash.nu and azing

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Yeah I would point out though that there is merchant specific tokenized data included with the DAN, so it's not like they could have a breach, have the details stolen and used elsewhere. They could only be used at that merchant. The issuer would decline the transaction if the same details were used elsewhere.
Right brilliant, thanks a lot for the insight, that makes me feel better!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
@akash.nu

I stand corrected! Thanks for the info.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
The retailer actually got back to me and explained exactly what you said here. Makes perfect sense now, I just had no idea that retailers had the ability to do this. Thanks again.

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
The retailer actually got back to me and explained exactly what you said here. Makes perfect sense now, I just had no idea that retailers had the ability to do this. Thanks again.

Glad you got it sorted out. Guess I ought to just read this particular thread rather than add to it as I’m clearly dumb AF ??‍♂️.

See you around everyone…

• Haha
Reactions: azing
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.