Apple Pay in Whole Foods

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by megalaser, Oct 21, 2014.

1. megalaser macrumors 6502

megalaser

Hi, I tried Apple Pay in Whole Foods yesterday, it worked but the cashier said that I still had to pick up their stylus pen and sign. I said that the touch ID fingerprint IS the signing but she looked confused and just said it's the same as any credit card and I had to physically sign. I read a report yesterday that another vendor is requiring that you push a button to choose debit or credit cards . . . It seems that Apple have offered them a very simple and secure service but the merchants are not implementing that and confusing the process?

2. petsounds macrumors 65816

I think the problem is probably that they have existing POS systems that can't easily be changed to for instance not require signing for Apple Pay. The POS system just sees "credit card transaction" and runs the "show signature screen" code.

Hopefully as these systems get updated or replaced we'll see these issues go away.

3. megalaser thread starter macrumors 6502

megalaser

4. vegetassj4 macrumors regular

vegetassj4

Used it at WF yesterday. No signature required/signature screen never came up. cashier said I was the first one he'd seen using apple pay.

5. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'd say guilt by association. It doesn't matter if apples NFC is more secure than all the other NFC systems. Any NFC needs a signature, so they all do. As it matures, these systems will learn to differentiate but in the mean time, it's blanket city. Just think of it as the price for Apple not having to take the time to build the whole system from scratch.

6. megalaser thread starter macrumors 6502

megalaser

Shame because it negates the whole simplicity aspect to have to touch and mess around with their germ covered in store systems - It could be that it does work but retailers are choosing to have this silly (because you can scribble anything, it's never checked and Apple Pay Touch ID is like Fort Knox compared) 'security check' - The retailer chooses the threshold and I think in Whole Foods they want the doodle if you spend over $50

7. vegetassj4 macrumors regular

vegetassj4

Could be, I spent less than $50, which doesn't require a signature with the traditional cc swipe.

8. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

op plan on going to Whole Foods today for lunch I will share my experience.

So far the 3 times I have used :apple: pay no signature required no buttons to press worked quick and easy every time.

9. noobinator macrumors 601

Is it even possible to spend less than $50 at Whole Foods?

10. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You should have just signed an X

11. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

On that note, I've been noticing, at a lot of different places, they have new verifone card machines, all look the same, ...and some, but not all, with an extra rounded thing on top with a symbol that looks like NFC device.

I can't take advantage yet, as my cards are not supported. :(

12. mark34 macrumors 6502a

I figured this particular issue out I think. If you use the Apple Pay while they are still ringing up the items it will require a signature. If you wait until the whole thing is done and the cash register shows the total, then no signature is required. That has been my experience.

13. hernan1304 macrumors member

I've used it 3 times. The first time was over $50 and required a signature. The second and third were under $50 and didn't. It's a good theory that the times it didn't ask for a signature are times when it wouldn't have asked even if I used the credit card without Apple pay... If it behaves just like using the card, then it's not working as advertised. :/

14. lemieuxfan67 macrumors member

The card reader and POS system do not know if you are using Apple Pay, Google Wallet, Visa Paywave or any other card that has the chip in it. It is not unreasonable for the merchant to require signature for all transactions of credit over $50.

15. photogpab macrumors 6502

photogpab

i used my debit card at Whole Foods this morning and it worked but then asked me to key in my pin number on the keypad thing. That was weird. What was the point of scanning my fingerprint if I also need to enter my pin?

At McDonalds all i needed to do was scan my fingerprint.