Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Polo2883

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
I have used it twice so far and no duplicate charges.
I am also using an American Express credit card.

What I do notice is that if I don't wait for the beep to signal the transaction is completed I do see another attempt to charge but the charge is $0.00.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
All events seem to be tied to Bank of America and they said Apple is working on a fix today.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Hope this doesn't become problematic.

Haven't tried Apple Pay yet (despite my going to Subway, McDonalds and finding that employers had no idea what Apple pay even was)

But when I do I'm surely going to look at my transactions very closely.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/22/tec...y-double-charge/index.html?source=yahoo_quote

I didn't read the article but you expect the business to know what Apple pay is?? You're not paying with "Apple pay" you're paying with your credit card via nfc...

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I didn't read the article but you expect the business to know what Apple pay is?? You're not paying with "Apple pay" you're paying with your credit card via nfc...

Exactly. Every time I've used it, I've just said "credit". Last night I used it at Duane Reade. I held my phone by the terminal and before the cashier could even finish asking me if I had a rewards card, the transaction was already done. :p No need to say anything special.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Exactly. Every time I've used it, I've just said "credit". Last night I used it at Duane Reade. I held my phone by the terminal and before the cashier could even finish asking me if I had a rewards card, the transaction was already done. :p No need to say anything special.

Still not quite sure how this works if you have a rewards card in Passbook, not familiar with Duane Reade so I'm not sure if that's the case. If you have a rewards card in Passbook does it automatically apply the rewards at the same time you pay? Or would you still have to have them scan your rewards card in Passbook?

Shan S.

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
Apple Pay is double charging some customers

Used it three times so far and have not had the double charge problem and one of the cards used is a BofA card.

Also just go to the stores and see if they have a NFC terminal. If they do it will work. 'ApplePay' is not an official piece of hardware or anything like that. Android phones uses the term 'Google Wallet' for their wallet. Both terms are the backend tech names for the encryption. The store people will have no idea about that...

Both basically work at any NFC Register. Just look for the sideways looking WiFi symbol...
66aa905911f008de14813122977b0f14.jpg

Last edited:

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Haven't officially tried Apple Pay, but used the NFC option on a vending machine at work and didn't receive a double charge, just the standard charge for the pre-auth for the item which should change in 2 days.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Still not quite sure how this works if you have a rewards card in Passbook, not familiar with Duane Reade so I'm not sure if that's the case. If you have a rewards card in Passbook does it automatically apply the rewards at the same time you pay? Or would you still have to have them scan your rewards card in Passbook?

Duane Reade is a NYC drug store chain. Owned by Walgreens now. So, essentially it's Walgreens.

Anyway, no it doesn't automatically. I'd have to swipe my rewards card or put in my phone number to pull it up. But when the terminal was on the screen where you can enter your phone number to find your rewards account, it waved my phone over it and it went through.

Supposedly rewards card support is coming very soon -- like before the holidays (there was a MR article the other day).

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
All events seem to be tied to Bank of America and they said Apple is working on a fix today.

Could you expand on this? My Bank of America card registered with Apple Pay keeps getting declined. The card itself is charging fine, but through Apple Pay it's not. I created a thread on my issue.

Just wondering if there's a larger Bank of America/Apple Pay issue that might be causing this issue I'm having.

Poterie

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
I've used it for an in App purchase (Houzz) and again in a retail store (Wegmans) - both were BofA cards. No double charges. So far, so good.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Could you expand on this? My Bank of America card registered with Apple Pay keeps getting declined. The card itself is charging fine, but through Apple Pay it's not. I created a thread on my issue.

Just wondering if there's a larger Bank of America/Apple Pay issue that might be causing this issue I'm having.

Yea, read the article in the first link. That's where I got the info from. I'm not a Bank of America customer and wanted to put this info out there because this thread title is misleading in a way.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012

Reward cards don't work through NFC. You'll still have to open up the card in passbook to scan the barcode.

JacksTLOS

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2011

Happened to me at Chevron. their terminal still required my Pin and it took a couple seconds to print the receipt. Bank of America automatically credited back the charge this morning. No problems at Subway or Mcdonalds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.