Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay is now available in Canada exclusively for American Express customers, allowing newer iPhone and Apple Watch owners to make contactless payments at stores like Indigo, McDonald's, Sport Chek, Tim Hortons and others that have NFC-equipped payment terminals and accept American Express.

Apple-Pay-Canada-800x315.jpg
Apple Pay is now live in Canada on iOS 9.1 (Image: Twitter/Bryan)

Apple Pay should now be live in the Wallet app on iOS 9.1 for Canadian users. American Express cards can be scanned or added manually by tapping the "Add Credit or Debit Card" option.

American Express, an independent credit card issuer in Canada, is not nearly as popular or widely accepted as MasterCard or Visa credit cards in the country, and Apple notes that bank-issued American Express cards like those in partnership with Scotiabank are not accepted at launch.

Apple has reportedly been in talks with six large Canadian banks about launching Apple Pay north of the U.S. border, including the Royal Bank of Canada, TD Canada Trust, Scotiabank, Bank of Montreal, CIBC and National Bank of Canada, but negotiations have reportedly been dragging.

TD Canada Trust prematurely leaked an Apple Pay splash page last month, suggesting that Canadian banks may eventually support the mobile payments platform. High interchange fees and potential security issues have reportedly been sticking points in negotiations between Apple and banks.

Canada has been well prepared for Apple Pay, as many retailers and businesses across the country are equipped with NFC payment terminals required for contactless payments. The country was one of the earlier adopters of Chip-and-PIN debit and credit cards that can be tapped against a payment terminal when making a purchase, and Apple Pay is a natural extension of that functionality.

Canada's largest credit and debit card payment processor Moneris announced Apple Pay support for American Express cards earlier today.

Apple Pay launched in the U.S. in October 2014 and expanded to the U.K. last July, making Canada the third country with support for the service. Beyond Canada, Apple is also partnering with American Express to bring Apple Pay to four additional markets by the end of 2016.

Apple has confirmed with the Financial Post that Apple Pay will support American Express in Australia later this week, with AMEX customer service representatives suggesting a tentative November 19 launch date. Apple Pay will launch with American Express in Spain, Singapore and Hong Kong next year.

Update: Apple has published a list of Apple Pay participating retailers and apps on its Apple Pay page in Canada. Notable stores include Apple, Indigo, McDonald's, Petro Canada, Staples and Tim Hortons.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launches in Canada With American Express, Australia Later This Week

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
There is a pretty nice Amex in Canada with 5% cash back in grocery, gas and restaurants for the first 6 months and 1.25% cash back on all purchases in perpetuity. No annual fee also. I applied for it today but unfortunately many places don't accept Amex because their fees are much higher for the merchant to accept them vs visa or master card. I am hoping after the 5% period I can use my master card from MBNA on apple pay. Unfortunately MBNA was bought by TD bank so if they drag their feet it may take awhile.

Reactions: V.K.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
American Express Canada has issued the following statement: Sorry.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
yeah everywhere has NFC for the most part but not everywhere takes Amex. Also Walmart and Home Depot for sure still don't have NFC I am pretty sure which are two stand outs at being late to the party on that
I think that Walmart/Home Depot both here in the US and in Canada have opened the door to the competition. People (at least people like me) will go over to Lowe's and Target, or similar stores to try it out. A percentage of these people (again, like me) will see that the other stores are just as good as Walmart(?!) and continue to shop there, even after they finally come on board.

Telling people that you don't want to pay their way, and you must pay our way is a good way to lose them. Just imagine if a store told you "cash only" (Yes, I know there are some, but they're usually specialty stores, in outlying areas, or just getting started).

gcooldude86

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario, Canada
There is a pretty nice Amex in Canada with 5% cash back in grocery, gas and restaurants for the first 6 months and 1.25% cash back on all purchases in perpetuity. No annual fee also. I applied for it today but unfortunately many places don't accept Amex because their fees are much higher for the merchant to accept them vs visa or master card. I am hoping after the 5% period I can use my master card from MBNA on apple pay. Unfortunately MBNA was bought by TD bank so if they drag their feet it may take awhile.
I just applied for one too. Hoping it won't take long to get the card so I can use Apple Pay.

walexx

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Sydney
Woooohooo only a day to wait for the Aussies (its already 18Nov here). This is really good news for Australians. For years Ive been using my AMEX as my main card for everything so to have Apple Pay is perfect for me. Amex is accepted almost everywhere in Australia and we have been using contactless payments for years and years so we are very well set up for this technology.

Lets hope CBA, Westpac, NAB and ANZ get their act together soon, but for now this is great news for us Aussies.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Only American Express available in Australia?

Meh. :confused:
Considering the very small amount of places that even allow American Express as an option, I can't see this working at all here.

Not until all the other banks are on board - then it'll go crazy. Almost everywhere you go they've got NFC capabilities.

Reactions: mackiwilad

macaximx

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
I've added my Amex cards to my watch and phone. Now it is time to shop! ;)

Also referred two friends today for cards.

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
Considering the very small amount of places that even allow American Express as an option, I can't see this working at all here.

Not until all the other banks are on board - then it'll go crazy. Almost everywhere you go they've got NFC capabilities.

Woooohooo only a day to wait for the Aussies (its already 18Nov here). This is really good news for Australians. For years Ive been using my AMEX as my main card for everything so to have Apple Pay is perfect for me. Amex is accepted almost everywhere in Australia and we have been using contactless payments for years and years so we are very well set up for this technology.

Um, so which one is it? I highly doubt the guy who posted the 1st quote is correct... I'm sure more places accept AMEX cards than you think.

Reactions: mackiwilad

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Every time I ask in the shops if i can pay wireless, they have the pin-wireless thing from the bank. But when I ask if they are going to support Apple Pay, they have 0% about what it is, and those who do - they just wish it, but really think it will have very low adaption and aren't interested in learning, training staff and investing.

I really wish everything from public transport to buying a car was done via apple pay, but I think the Netherlands will not properly or fully support it. Sigh.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I think that Walmart/Home Depot both here in the US and in Canada have opened the door to the competition. People (at least people like me) will go over to Lowe's and Target, or similar stores to try it out. A percentage of these people (again, like me) will see that the other stores are just as good as Walmart(?!) and continue to shop there, even after they finally come on board.

Telling people that you don't want to pay their way, and you must pay our way is a good way to lose them. Just imagine if a store told you "cash only" (Yes, I know there are some, but they're usually specialty stores, in outlying areas, or just getting started).

I didn't need Apple Pay to discover that Target is better than Walmart. As far as Home Depot is concerned, I read awhile back that they are installing necessary hardware, and will be officially accepting Apple Pay at some point.

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I'm Canadian but this means nothing to me. I don't have an AmEx card nor do I have any plans to get one. Simply put I literally* do not know of a single place that accepts AmEx. They may exist but I don't ever shop there. I'm hoping that this is a harbinger of things to come; Visa & MC. But I'm not holding my breath.

*Yes I know the meaning of the word

Reactions: appledefenceforce

ehmjay

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2006
Well, I'm about to start to use my Amex a lot more...

The banks (and Visa and Mastercard) would be nuts not to get on board with this, because they're going to be losing money from people like me who now use their Amex strictly because it's the one that has Apple Pay.

Of course, since so few places accept Amex, the data might be skewed to where it appears like people don't use it, when in fact they simply can't.

All I know is that my Amex, which previously was only used for concert tickets, just got a whole lot more useful.

Reactions: catean

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Good to see. Hopfully as popularity grows then uptake speeds up for hold out banks and other countries too.

As an aside TSB and Tesco bank are up and running today with Apple Pay in the UK.

Reactions: lionsy

macaximx

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
I'm Canadian but this means nothing to me. I don't have an AmEx card nor do I have any plans to get one. Simply put I literally* do not know of a single place that accepts AmEx. They may exist but I don't ever shop there.

So you've never been in a restaurant and been handed the bill in an American Express folder? You've never been in an Apple store? Bay?
Wal Mart? Canadian Tire? Tim Hortons?
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.