Apple Pay Launches in Canada With American Express, Australia Later This Week

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I didn't need Apple Pay to discover that Target is better than Walmart. As far as Home Depot is concerned, I read awhile back that they are installing necessary hardware, and will be officially accepting Apple Pay at some point.
I know what you mean, however, if I'm buying Diet Coke (the same commodity at Walmart as it is at Trader Joes), and it costs 89 cents at Walmart and $1.99 at TJ's, I'm going to Walmart and buying 20 of them, and not spending $22.

I wasn't talking about a mass exodus of Walmart shoppers, but in that league, 1-4% of customer loss is serious business.

stbrown

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Why do most people keep saying Amex isn't accepted at most places? I use it all the time in Toronto. Maybe smaller local businesses might not but I have been using mine for years at groceries stores, gas stations, coffee shops, restaurants, retailers etc

I just used apple pay today at Tim Hortons and it worked great

Jesse1414

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
Edmonton
I'm Canadian but this means nothing to me. I don't have an AmEx card nor do I have any plans to get one. Simply put I literally* do not know of a single place that accepts AmEx. They may exist but I don't ever shop there. I'm hoping that this is a harbinger of things to come; Visa & MC. But I'm not holding my breath.

*Yes I know the meaning of the word
So you've literally* never been to an Apple store, Tim Hortons (Just tested it there to get a coffee and it worked!), McDonald's, Shell, Safeway, The Keg, Cactus Club, Moxies, ESSO, Rexall, 7-Eleven, London Drugs, Telus/Koodo, Rogers/Fido, Bell/VIRGIN, Shaw, Sobeys, Best Buy, Walmart, Home Depot? (although I know these last two don't have NFC) But yeah just to name a few...

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
It's ironic how in Canada we've had the tech for years but our problem is the banks and card issuers. While in the US their main problem in the beginning was no tech and merchants having to upgrade and every week or so more banks join
It's a process of discovery for me...
My procedure, when I go into a store is when the total is up, I double click the watch and put it near the terminal, and wait for the buzz. A few things that the NFC terminal readers need to do:
1. Have a light where the phone/watch needs to be. Really, it's like a first date, looking for the right place.
2. Widely advertise that they accept NFC payments on the device.
3. Put the Apple Pay/NFC sticker on the door.
4. Train the people that work there. I've already trained McDonalds (when I went there), Chevron, Walgreens, Best Buy, and other gas station employees on this. "Oh, that's cool!" is the mantra, or "I never knew it could do that!"

Reactions: OttawaGuy

retep42

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2013
American Express pissed me off almost 10 years ago by trying to charge me a penalty fee for not using their card often enough. I am still seething and I will NOT use them again. And yes, I use contactless payment ("tapping") all the time here in Canada with my Mastercard. They even offered to send me a sticker that I can put on my phone to use it for tapping that way...

Pistol Peto

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
West of Toronto
Loaded my Amex on this morning. Easy breezy. Went to use it at Loblaws. No Amex - no dice. I'll try it later at Starbucks.

The check out girl was looking at me like something was wrong with me when I brought my phone close to the terminal.

Reactions: appledefenceforce

bandalay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Canada
Canadian banks have all been going hard to create their own versions…no one wants to get iTuned, even if their solutions suck donkey balloons.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
This move with AmEx could easily be a bluff to get the other players to back down.
Or, it's a expected expansion of functionality that American Express already provides in the US, and can easily extend to other countries -- since they already have the back-end infrastructure in place, or can be easily replicated.

American Express issues cards in many different countries: https://www.americanexpress.com/change-country/?inav=iNavUtilChangeCountry. They can expand their marketshare by being first-to-market in countries that already have widespread deployment of NFC.

Of course, Apple may try to use it to get the issuing banks for MasterCard and VISA to stop dragging their feet. But, it's hardly a "bluff".

Reactions: rjohnstone

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
There is a pretty nice Amex in Canada with 5% cash back in grocery, gas and restaurants for the first 6 months and 1.25% cash back on all purchases in perpetuity. No annual fee also.
Thank you for the heads up, I just did the same! I'll use it for 6 months and enjoy the cash back, hopefully BMO is on board by then.

RoboCop001

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It's curious that the Wallet app doesn't just say "Add your Amex card" and still just says the generic "Add debit or credit" card. That'd be frustrating for people who aren't in the know who try adding regular cards. Hopefully this is also a sign of impending bank support. What was the rumoured date, Nov 30? In any case, it'd be nice if it was this year.

medazinol

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Toronto
I added my unused Amex card to the wallet without any issues. Interestingly the only image of a credit card in wallet during the adding process was Amex. I wonder if this is on purpose?

Joe Rossignol

Editor
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I thought the Chip-and-Pin required the card to be inserted into the credit card machine not "tapped" .

Billy
As long as the purchase is under $100, and the payment terminal supports NFC (which almost everywhere in Canada has for years), almost any Chip-and-PIN debit or credit card in Canada can be tapped against the screen for 1-2 seconds to pay automatically. You don't have to enter a PIN or anything. Apple Pay is the same thing but you tap your iPhone instead for added convenience/security.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Apple think they can just walk into the financial word and demand high fees from our banks. I'll stick with PayPass thanks. Fix your rates or you're not welcome here apple.
Apple's fee per transaction using Apple Pay: 0.15% per $100 in the US, even less in the UK at only 2p per £100. High fees? I don't think so...

Last edited:

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
It's ironic how in Canada we've had the tech for years but our problem is the banks and card issuers. While in the US their main problem in the beginning was no tech and merchants having to upgrade and every week or so more banks join
The US has had NFC for years, as well. It just wasn't widely deployed. Only one of my credit cards has a NFC symbol, and only a few vendors invested in the terminals that were needed. Even worse, some vendors had the terminal, but their transaction processor imposed additional fees and infrastructure to support NFC -- so they didn't bother.

The back-end issue is technical as well -- Apple Pay is not "just NFC". Because Apple Pay is the first implementation of the EMV tokenization standard, the bank has to build and integrate it with the rest of their system. That has to be done by individual banks... which is why you see a gradual rollout. You'll see the same thing in Canada, unless they all manage to complete their system changes at the same time.

In the US, there are a lot of small credit unions -- a legacy of being set up by individual employers and employee associations. But, many of them out-source operation of some of their back-end systems (especially credit cards) to a service provider. So, once the service provider supports Apple Pay, a group of credit unions will announce support.

Last edited:

Cervelo-Van

macrumors member
May 14, 2015

Apple Pay is now available in Canada exclusively for American Express customers, allowing newer iPhone and Apple Watch owners to make contactless payments at stores like Indigo, McDonald's, Sport Chek, Tim Hortons and others that have NFC-equipped payment terminals and accept American Express.

Apple Pay is now live in Canada on iOS 9.1 (Image: Twitter/Bryan)

Apple Pay should now be live in the Wallet app on iOS 9.1 for Canadian users. American Express cards can be scanned or added manually by tapping the "Add Credit or Debit Card" option.

American Express, an independent credit card issuer in Canada, is not nearly as popular or widely accepted as MasterCard or Visa credit cards in the country, and Apple notes that bank-issued American Express cards like those in partnership with Scotiabank are not accepted at launch.

Apple has reportedly been in talks with six large Canadian banks about launching Apple Pay north of the U.S. border, including the Royal Bank of Canada, TD Canada Trust, Scotiabank, Bank of Montreal, CIBC and National Bank of Canada, but negotiations have reportedly been dragging.

TD Canada Trust prematurely leaked an Apple Pay splash page last month, suggesting that Canadian banks may eventually support the mobile payments platform. High interchange fees and potential security issues have reportedly been sticking points in negotiations between Apple and banks.

Canada has been well prepared for Apple Pay, as many retailers and businesses across the country are equipped with NFC payment terminals required for contactless payments. The country was one of the earlier adopters of Chip-and-PIN debit and credit cards that can be tapped against a payment terminal when making a purchase, and Apple Pay is a natural extension of that functionality.

Canada's largest credit and debit card payment processor Moneris announced Apple Pay support for American Express cards earlier today.

Apple Pay launched in the U.S. in October 2014 and expanded to the U.K. last June, making Canada the third country with support for the service. Beyond Canada, Apple is also partnering with American Express to bring Apple Pay to four additional markets by the end of 2016.

Apple has confirmed with the Financial Post that Apple Pay will support American Express in Australia later this week, with AMEX customer service representatives suggesting a tentative November 19 launch date. Apple Pay will launch with American Express in Spain, Singapore and Hong Kong next year.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launches in Canada With American Express, Australia Later This Week

Cervelo-Van

macrumors member
May 14, 2015
Set-up was super easy. Paid for my Tim Hortons coffee and the server looked at me: "What just happened"

Cervelo-Van

macrumors member
May 14, 2015
I'm Canadian but this means nothing to me. I don't have an AmEx card nor do I have any plans to get one. Simply put I literally* do not know of a single place that accepts AmEx. They may exist but I don't ever shop there. I'm hoping that this is a harbinger of things to come; Visa & MC. But I'm not holding my breath.

*Yes I know the meaning of the word
Just purchased a Tim Hortons Coffee and bagel with my Apple Watch

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Apple think they can just walk into the financial word and demand high fees from our banks. I'll stick with PayPass thanks. Fix your rates or you're not welcome here apple.
Yes they can. Unfortunately. They have the best consumer oriented tech gadgets today.

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
The US has had NFC for years, as well. It just wasn't widely deployed. Only one of my credit cards has a NFC symbol, and only a few vendors invested in the terminals that were needed. Even worse, some vendors had the terminal, but their transaction processor imposed additional fees and infrastructure to support NFC -- so they didn't bother.

The back-end issue is technical as well -- Apple Pay is not "just NFC". Because Apple Pay is the first implementation of the EMV tokenization standard, the bank has to build and integrate it with the rest of their system. That has to be done by individual banks... which is why you see a gradual rollout. You'll see the same thing in Canada, unless they all manage to complete their system changes at the same time.

In the US, there are a lot of small credit unions -- a legacy of being set up by individual employers and employee associations. But, many of them out-source operation of some of their back-end systems (especially credit cards) to a service provider. So, once the service provider supports Apple Pay, a group of credit unions will announce support.
Which card do you have that has the NFC logo? I wish the banks and credit card companies would start giving out cards that can be tapped on the terminal.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Which card do you have that has the NFC logo? I wish the banks and credit card companies would start giving out cards that can be tapped on the terminal.
It's from Wells Fargo. And although I have multiple cards from that bank (debit/ATM, and a business credit card), it's the only one with an NFC symbol.

billyt1963

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
As long as the purchase is under $100, and the payment terminal supports NFC (which almost everywhere in Canada has for years), almost any Chip-and-PIN debit or credit card in Canada can be tapped against the screen for 1-2 seconds to pay automatically. You don't have to enter a PIN or anything. Apple Pay is the same thing but you tap your iPhone instead for added convenience/security.
When I was in Canada at the beginning of the year I had to insert my Chip card every time. I Thought the only cards that could do NFC had the "waves" (sideways network symbol) on them.

O well, learn something new all the time.

Billy

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
When I was in Canada at the beginning of the year I had to insert my Chip card every time. I Thought the only cards that could do NFC had the "waves" (sideways network symbol) on them.
No, you are correct. The difference is that most cards recently issued in Canada support NFC. Only a handful of cards issues in the US support NFC. As I noted above, only one of my cards (even among multiple cards issued by the same bank) supports NFC.

Reactions: billyt1963