Apple Pay Launches in Canada With American Express, Australia Later This Week

Misaki

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Um, so which one is it? I highly doubt the guy who posted the 1st quote is correct... I'm sure more places accept AMEX cards than you think.
AMEX charges a higher rate, so the places that don't accept AMEX tend to be the same kind of places you'd not want to shop at if is possible. This includes some off-brand gas stations, corner stores and thrift/goodwill/dollar stores.

That said, these are far and few between, and generally reflective of the community of the store's location. Many asian grocery stores tend to do everything possible to get you to pay in cash.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Um, so which one is it? I highly doubt the guy who posted the 1st quote is correct... I'm sure more places accept AMEX cards than you think.
You might think that, but no. I would put money saying there's only very particular places that walexx is able to shop at, with or without paying a hefty surcharge. Many businesses I've worked at and shopped at, don't offer it as an option due to expensive fees for the merchant. Not worth the price. I'd love to hear differently, but this seems DOA here unless times have changed for Amex.

AMEX charges a higher rate, so the places that don't accept AMEX tend to be the same kind of places you'd not want to shop at if is possible. This includes some off-brand gas stations, corner stores and thrift/goodwill/dollar stores.
Not exactly - many small and large businesses just don't allow it due to higher rates. They're not exactly the places you've mentioned, those definitely wouldn't, but there's more than you think that just don't allow it.

Hasschel

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2015
I'm sure all of those 150 people with Amex cards and iPhone 6 models will love it.
Apple think they can just walk into the financial word and demand high fees from our banks. I'll stick with PayPass thanks. Fix your rates or you're not welcome here apple.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
yeah everywhere has NFC for the most part but not everywhere takes Amex. Also Walmart and Home Depot for sure still don't have NFC I am pretty sure which are two stand outs at being late to the party on that
I get so annoyed whenever I'm at Walmart or Home Depot and they still don't have tap to pay. Actually recently Home Depot replaced all of their POS terminals with completely new models yet they still don't have tap to pay.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

Crzyrio

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
You might think that, but no. I would put money saying there's only very particular places that walexx is able to shop at, with or without paying a hefty surcharge. Many businesses I've worked at and shopped at, don't offer it as an option due to expensive fees for the merchant. Not worth the price. I'd love to hear differently, but this seems DOA here unless times have changed for Amex.

Not exactly - many small and large businesses just don't allow it due to higher rates. They're not exactly the places you've mentioned, those definitely wouldn't, but there's more than you think that just don't allow it.
AMEX is actually pretty widely accepted in the area I live in (GTA). The only place that I have come across that doesnt take it is nofrills and loblaws and a few small shops.

Otherwise it is accepted everywhere.

billyt1963

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
The country was one of the earlier adopters of Chip-and-PIN debit and credit cards that can be tapped against a payment terminal when making a purchase, and Apple Pay is a natural extension of that functionality.
I thought the Chip-and-Pin required the card to be inserted into the credit card machine not "tapped" .

Billy

walexx

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Sydney
I have been using an amex for over 15 years and the only places they don't accept them are the odd cafes here and there, but otherwise pretty much everyone accepts them. Amex is my main card and always has been if it wasn't accepted everywhere I wouldn't use it.

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
I have been using an amex for over 15 years and the only places they don't accept them are the odd cafes here and there, but otherwise pretty much everyone accepts them. Amex is my main card and always has been if it wasn't accepted everywhere I wouldn't use it.
I'm hearing all different answers about AMEX acceptance.

I'll take everyone's word for it, you know, whoever has the opinion that AMEX is accepted at most places. I highly doubt AMEX would be able to survive in Canada if it wasn't accepted anywhere--it would be bad for their business.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I'm on 9.2 Beta and it's expecting a 4 digit security code. So my 3-digit one doesn't activate the "next" button to complete the activation... Come on 9.2 GM!

EDIT: having a corporate card I seldom used, I assumed the security code was the 3-digit one on the back like every other card. I have found the 4-digit number on the front and am good to go!

Thanks to every one that answered!

Last edited:

JoJack82

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
I'm Canadian but this means nothing to me. I don't have an AmEx card nor do I have any plans to get one. Simply put I literally* do not know of a single place that accepts AmEx. They may exist but I don't ever shop there. I'm hoping that this is a harbinger of things to come; Visa & MC. But I'm not holding my breath.

*Yes I know the meaning of the word
I travel a lot through both Canada and the US and live in Canada, I use my Amex almost exclusively for expenses and personal purchases. Easily 90%+ of my purchases are on Amex. If you don't know one place then that means you haven't looked and are just assuming no accepts them.

Reactions: mackiwilad

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I'm on 9.2 Beta and it's expecting a 4 digit security code. So my 3-digit one doesn't activate the "next" button to complete the activation... Come on 9.2 GM!
Don't all Amex cards have the 4 digit code on the front off to the right side?

Edit: I never really noticed, but my card has a 3 digit number on the back (CVV2?) like every other card, but I've never used it. When prompted, I've always had to use the 4 digit number on the front just at the end of the actual card number.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
It seems interac is holding things up... Banks want their money don't you know... They are in charge of the Interac consortium (look at its board of directors)

Reactions: OttawaGuy

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
It's my corporate card, which I almost never use... So I used the 3-digit code in the back, like my MC does... :)

Thanks for the tip!
Ah that stinks! Hope you're able to get it sorted out soon.

BTW, ignore my edit on my previous message then :p

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
The security code on an American Express card is on the front: right side, above the account number.

There's a 3-digit CVV code on the signature strip, but I don't think it's used for anything.

Reactions: GenesisST

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
The security code on an American Express card is on the front: right side, above the account number.

There's a 3-digit CVV code on the signature strip, but I don't think it's used for anything.
Thanks, got the same tip earlier and it now works. Not that I can use it since I don't need anything work related at the moment... :) But I have Pay now!

I've also resolved the 9.2 beta bug I had reported.

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
I'm sure all of those 150 people with Amex cards and iPhone 6 models will love it.
My thoughts exactly! This move with AmEx could easily be a bluff to get the other players to back down. There are still a lot of iPhone 4 and 5 models on the Metro everyday. Apple Pay wouldn't be ubiquitous here until the iPhone 7S model so there is lots of time.