Apple Pay Launches in Denmark, Finland, Sweden, and UAE

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As promised during Apple's third quarter earnings call back in August, Apple Pay today expanded to Finland, Denmark, Sweden, and United Arab Emirates.

Debit and credit cards from participating banks can now be added to the Wallet app in each country and can be used to make purchases wherever NFC-based contactless payments are accepted. Apple Pay also works within apps and on the web in countries where Apple Pay is available.

In Denmark, Jyske Bank (Visa debit cards only) and Nordea are supporting Apple Pay. In Finland and Sweden, Apple Pay can be used with debit and credit cards from Nordea and ST1. Edenred and N26 support will be coming soon to Finland, while Ticket Rikskuponger will support Apple Pay in Sweden in the near future.

In United Arab Emirates, the following banks and cards work with Apple Pay:

- Emirates Islamic (Visa credit, debit, and prepaid cards)
- Emirates NBD
- HSBC (Visa and Mastercard credit and debit cards)
- mashreq
- RAKBANK (Mastercard credit, debit, and prepaid cards)
- Standard Chartered Bank

Dozens of locations in each country offer support for Apple Pay payments, with an official list available on Apple's Apple Pay website: Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and UAE.

Following the launch of Apple Pay in Finland, Sweden, Denmark, and UAE, Apple Pay is available in 20 markets. Apple Pay may also soon launch in the Netherlands, Poland, Norway, and Germany, based on rumors or hints of the feature that have been spotted on Apple's site, but Apple has not yet confirmed Apple Pay is coming to those countries, nor provided details on when.

Apple Pay in stores is available on the iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone SE, and all Apple Watch models. Apple Pay on the web and in apps is available on all of the above listed devices along with the iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, and all iPad Pro models.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launches in Denmark, Finland, Sweden, and UAE

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
The North
Finland?! Goodness, time to go confuse the hell out of the sales personnel, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjini

Tinototem

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Sweden
Love it! been waiting for Apple pay in Sweden for a long while.
My visa card and master card are both NFC enabled so i have been able to pay by tapping the card on the card reader. But its nice to know that i can now use my mobile instead and do not have to bring up my wallet.

One of the great benefits we will get with this apple pay release is that a lot more customers will ask for nfc support and that will benefit us all. At the moment it is a bit rare for NFC support.

busyscott

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
California
Honestly Apple Pay is one of those things that I waited so eagerly for and then it finally arrived and I used it a few times and then the excitement fizzled and it was just easier to use a card more often than not.

If it were truly accepted everywhere, then maybe I’d be singing a different tune.

Reactions: Oberhorst

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Honestly Apple Pay is one of those things that I waited so eagerly for and then it finally arrived and I used it a few times and then the excitement fizzled and it was just easier to use a card more often than not.
I don't think it is about which is easier. I think it is about not having to carry a wallet. Although I do carry wallet when I am traveling long distances, I most of the times leave it at home, knowing that all cards I use are in my phone and contactless payment is on every corner here where I live.

ArneK

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2015
But honestly, I understand the banks in Germany. It’s really hard to make money as a bank here because not many people take out debts to pay for stuff. One of the few things where they make good money is card transactions. And now a complete outsider wants to take half your income from that because they provides an NFC chip which is in pretty much every banking card as well? Doesn’t sound like a great deal...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Glassed Silver

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
I don't think it is about which is easier. I think it is about not having to carry a wallet. Although I do carry wallet when I am traveling long distances, I most of the times leave it at home, knowing that all cards I use are in my phone and contactless payment is on every corner here where I live.
There’s not much difference (convenience wise) between tapping your phone or your card. The main benefit is security since your real card number isn’t used. No chance of someone getting your card details.

That said, using my Apple Watch is better than my card or phone. Especially when going to a club or beach where the chances of losing either (or someone trying to steal them) is higher.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal

If it were truly accepted everywhere, then maybe I’d be singing a different tune.
I understand. For me, it’s about security most of all. My debit card and at least one credit card (and once both) had to be replaced because of the huge credit card hacks of Target and Home Depot. Since I’m not going back to cash anytime soon, Apple Pay it is. If stores aren’t going to protect my info, it’s up to me and Apple.

I do generally find it more convenient to double tap and bring up Apple Pay, touch, and move on. It’s when the stores still require a signature that I get annoyed.

Also, my phone is always easier to grab than a particular card from my purse.

Reactions: Mizhou

busyscott

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
California
I don’t know where you live, but that’s just not a reality in California. I can’t leave the house without my wallet. I could actually get a ticket driving without my license on me, couldn’t buy alcohol, and while there are a lot of places that take Apple Pay, there are still major holdouts (Starbucks, just to name one.)

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

daio

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Germany
I doubt very much that Apple Pay will launch in Germany.

Not only are Germans incredibly paranoid about their personal things (they even worry about Apple knowing their whereabouts and having access to their Health data!!!) but their banking system is not up for such a service. Sure, there are contactless cards now, paid for by the account holder (believe it or not) but most Germans actually pay for their bank accounts! They will worry about all aspects of this, so I reckon its simply too much hassle for Apple to try to convince them otherwise.

canadianreader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
I am in Dubai, UAE and can confirm I added my cards to Apple Pay and used it this morning to buy a coffee ( I didn't really need it, simply wanted to try Apple Pay). The look on the cashier's face was priceless !!!
Your comment reminded me when I first tried it here in Canada I remember the cashier was confused, alarmed and curious all in one face expression lol it was indeed priceless :)

Reactions: CB1234 and MjWoNeR

Wraithbone

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
From what I've heard, Swish is the dominant mobile payment system in Nordic countries, set up by the countries' major banks. Those systems can be fairly engrained, like WeChat in China is.
In denmark it was called Swipp. It came, it failed soooooooo hard, and it closed. Now days something called mobilepay rules. Mobile pay is great for transferring money between people in private, but not really great at stores. It is simply too slow.

It is something like this:
1. Unlock your phone
2. Find the app
3. Write your pin
4. Hold the thing up to your terminal.
5. Wait for the damn thing to register (it is not working the same way as apply pay or the normal cards)
6. Check the amount is correct.
7. Swipe to pay.
8. Wait.... Wait.... Wait... (It uses the internet, so coverage needs to be there inside the store)
9. Done!

So, that's the state in denmark. Some other pathetic attempts have been made by dankort to make it to the mobile, but they mostly don't work as intended.

So, apple pay is welcome!

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I don’t know where you live, but that’s just not a reality in California. I can’t leave the house without my wallet. I could actually get a ticket driving without my license on me, couldn’t buy alcohol, and while there are a lot of places that take Apple Pay, there are still major holdouts (Starbucks, just to name one.)
You can use Apple Pay to load your Starbucks app and pay that way. That’s what I do.

I’m in SoCal, BTW. :)

I sometimes leave the house with nothing but my phone, no wallet, no keys (I have keypad locks on my house).

Especially when I’m walking the dog, we’ll be out and I might decide to stop and grab a drink or something. The funny thing is that the neighborhood coffee shops take Apple Pay, but 7-11 doesn’t. That’s a bummer.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Well at least my phone is in a wallet case where I can carry three most important cards with me as well as some cash just in case. With this setup I can get through most day-to-day activities while the less often needed cards remain in my wallet.

virginblue4

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I accidentally left my wallet at a family members house on Sunday. Since then, I’ve purchased train fares, paid for car parking, purchased lunch and groceries, grabbed a coffee and tonight I will be going swimming. All paid with Apple Pay. I honestly can’t think of anywhere that I use that doesn’t take it. Even the allotment shop at my Granddads allotment accepts Apple Pay!

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Apple Pay comes to Sweden and my bank does not support it. :(
Yeah, i am kinda annoyed too, i have Swedbank/Sparbanken, i guess they will support it eventually anyway but i am thinking of diversifying my bank accounts/services anyway so not that much of a hassle to get Apple Pay now if you really want it, just use Nordea as a dump and pay proxy service from your current bank.

Reactions: Oberhorst

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
In denmark it was called Swipp. It came, it failed soooooooo hard, and it closed. Now days something called mobilepay rules. Mobile pay is great for transferring money between people in private, but not really great at stores. It is simply too slow.

It is something like this:
1. Unlock your phone
2. Find the app
3. Write your pin
4. Hold the thing up to your terminal.
5. Wait for the damn thing to register (it is not working the same way as apply pay or the normal cards)
6. Check the amount is correct.
7. Swipe to pay.
8. Wait.... Wait.... Wait... (It uses the internet, so coverage needs to be there inside the store)
9. Done!

So, that's the state in denmark. Some other pathetic attempts have been made by dankort to make it to the mobile, but they mostly don't work as intended.

So, apple pay is welcome!
You can thank Apple for that, the locked NFC chip is the reason for all those steps.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

Json81

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
From what I've heard, Swish is the dominant mobile payment system in Nordic countries, set up by the countries' major banks. Those systems can be fairly engrained, like WeChat in China is.
Swish is mostly used for transfers between people and things like street markets.
It's generally not accepted in stores and restaurants etc even though some has started to accept it.
Also seen some online stores accept it.
But it has the drawback that it can only be connected to your bank account and the amount you can transfer is limited, I think it's 15.000 SEK now.

When we finally get Apple Pay here it's only supported by the crappiest bank and a gas-station card :(

SwissGuy93

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016

Well here in Switzerland nearly every Terminal is equipped with NFC (only some very old terminals in small stores and restaurants do not have it.), so it's a breeze here. I really love it. It's so conventient that I sometimes forget to take my wallet with me when go out to buy something. Unfortunately, not enough banks support it here because they want to push their own thing (which works with Bluetooth *rolls eyes*).