Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay arrived unexpectedly in Iceland today, allowing bank customers to use Apple's mobile payment system for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch wherever they see the contactless logo.

apple-pay-iceland-bank-card.jpg
Apple Pay support surprisingly landed this morning in Iceland. Velkominn! 🇮🇸❤️ #ApplePay #Iceland pic.twitter.com/tKVYm2HL09 - DARIO KOROLIJA (@korolijadario) May 8, 2019
International payment solutions company Valitor is said to have played a key role in bringing Apple Pay to the country, with Landsbankinn and Arion banki among the first Icelandic banks to announce support for the digital wallet.

As to which country will get the next Apple Pay rollout, it's currently a toss-up between The Netherlands and Portugal, where regional banks have teased that Apple's contactless payment system is "coming soon."

Apple Pay first launched in the United States in October 2014 and is also available in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Belgium, Switzerland, France, Japan, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Russia, New Zealand, Brazil, Poland, Ireland, Ukraine, and the United Arab Emirates.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said in March that Apple Pay will be available in more than 40 countries and regions by the end of 2019.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launches in Iceland

Reactions: DeepIn2U

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
When did they announce it was coming to Iceland?

Asking because a local bank in Portugal announced on April 12th that Apple Pay was coming soon and up until now it’s nowhere to be seen.

How long between the announcement and the actual launch?

Comment

Gesturthor

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2015
Reykjavik

Asking because a local bank in Portugal announced on April 12th that Apple Pay was coming soon and up until now it’s nowhere to be seen.

It was announced this morning around 8am. It is a total suprise. The infrastructure has been ready for few years, so it was a matter of Apple and the banks to make a deal.

Comment

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2016

They never announced, as far as I know, it just appeared this morning in the app and the news. Very nice surprise!

Reactions: rmoliv and simonmet
Comment

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I hope this means a launch in the Netherlands is very close..

I hope for your sake you get it soon too. It’s a revelation and I can’t live without it. I use it for 95% of purchases and even changed banks to access it in Australia.

It’s also way more secure than physical bank cards. If you lose a bank card or it gets skimmed/duplicated you have to suspend most access to your account and it takes a week or more to get a replacement. No wonder people want NFC purchasing in phones.

I rarely even bother taking a physical card out anymore unless I know I need cash, but many banks do cardless cash withdrawal at ATMs now too, just not mine yet unfortunately.

Comment

lokomoto

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2018

Slovak banks confirmed that Apple Pay is "coming soon" few weeks ago and nothing happened since then.

Reactions: rmoliv
Comment

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Pretty sure that in banking lingo “coming soon” probably means “probably this year”.

Let’s hope it’s not an Apple AirPower “coming soon”.

:p

Reactions: maartenz95
Comment

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Hey Liechtenstein!

Wake up to Apple Pay. Stop letting the Swiss Banking Kartell dictate to you.

If Iceland can launch it, LLB and LGT at minimum can too!

Time for Apple Pay Maestro or MasterCard debit cards with Apple Pay. (Also Apple Pay ATM authentication.)

Reactions: nekonokami
Comment

timber

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
It was announced this morning around 8am. It is a total suprise. The infrastructure has been ready for few years, so it was a matter of Apple and the banks to make a deal.
Yeah, we also have contactless NFC POS, NFC ATMs, NFC cards, Bank specific apps with NFC payment, NFC transit tickets, you name it.

What we don't have is Apple Pay.

Comment

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Yeah, we also have contactless NFC POS, NFC ATMs, NFC cards, Bank specific apps with NFC payment, NFC transit tickets, you name it.

What we don't have is Apple Pay.

Apparently only Crédito Agrícola and N26 are going to support Apple Pay as soon as it launches. Major banks like Millennium, Santander or BPI haven't said a word about it (yet). I guess they won't want Apple Pay to compete with their in-app MB Way service.

Last edited:
Comment

timber

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Apparently only Crédito Agrícola and N26 are going to support Apple Pay as soon as it launches. Major banks like Millennium, Santander or BPI haven't said a word about it (yet). I guess they won't want Apple Pay to compete with their in-app MB Way service.
Millenium supports Apple Pay in Poland :confused:

Reactions: iBluetooth
Comment

Rojaaemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2016
Another 200,000 adult users, potentially. And that's not counting tourists from nearby continents.

Go, Tim, go!

Comment

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
Til hamingju Ísland!
[doublepost=1557348185][/doublepost]The country launch isn't so important as the bank and retailer uptake.
I'm in New Zealand, who've had it for a few years now, and my bank (Kiwi Bank) still don't offer it.
Westpac & ANZ are the only 2 banks here to offer Apple Pay. It was just ANZ until Westpac recently gave in and joined. This is all due to the Australian cartel of banks trying to force Apple to "let them in" on NFC.
Recently a retailer told me that the "Pay Wave" (contactless pay point) system costs more per transaction which is why so many retailers here in NZ don't offer it.
So the real news in any country announcement is how many banks (or what percentage) ?

Last edited:
Comment

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2016
Til hamingju Ísland!
[doublepost=1557348185][/doublepost]The country launch isn't so important as the bank and retailer uptake.
I'm in New Zealand, who've had it for a few years now, and my bank (Kiwi Bank) still don't offer it.
Westpac & ANZ are the only 2 banks here to offer Apple Pay. It was just ANZ until Westpac recently gave in and joined. This is all due to the Australian cartel of banks trying to force Apple to "let them in" on NFC.
Recently a retailer told me that the "Pay Wave" (contactless pay point) system costs more per transaction which is why so many retailers here in NZ don't offer it.
So the real news in any country announcement is how many banks (or what percentage) ?
⅔ of main banks, or 66%. That lone bank was asked when they would support it. They got cought, Oops, so they said they were working on it and gave few weeks until ready. Someone didn’t do his job there!
[doublepost=1557350034][/doublepost]
Another 200,000 adult users, potentially. And that's not counting tourists from nearby continents.

Go, Tim, go!
Actually Apple Pay worked in Iceland for tourists with foreign ApplePay cards for two years until now, that the locals can use it

Comment

capekim

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2019
Fantastic! Carrying around my hammer of Thor just to buy some boiling oil was getting tiring

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.