Apple Pay Launches in Iceland

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 8, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Pay arrived unexpectedly in Iceland today, allowing bank customers to use Apple's mobile payment system for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch wherever they see the contactless logo.

[​IMG]
    International payment solutions company Valitor is said to have played a key role in bringing Apple Pay to the country, with Landsbankinn and Arion banki among the first Icelandic banks to announce support for the digital wallet.

As to which country will get the next Apple Pay rollout, it's currently a toss-up between The Netherlands and Portugal, where regional banks have teased that Apple's contactless payment system is "coming soon."

Apple Pay first launched in the United States in October 2014 and is also available in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Belgium, Switzerland, France, Japan, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Russia, New Zealand, Brazil, Poland, Ireland, Ukraine, and the United Arab Emirates.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said in March that Apple Pay will be available in more than 40 countries and regions by the end of 2019.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launches in Iceland

2. maartenz95 macrumors newbie

maartenz95

I hope this means a launch in the Netherlands is very close..

3. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

When did they announce it was coming to Iceland?

Asking because a local bank in Portugal announced on April 12th that Apple Pay was coming soon and up until now it’s nowhere to be seen.

How long between the announcement and the actual launch?

4. meme1255 macrumors 6502a

You have omitted Czechia, Austria etc… Well, that's Central Europe, who would bother with these countries. :(

5. Gesturthor macrumors member

It was announced this morning around 8am. It is a total suprise. The infrastructure has been ready for few years, so it was a matter of Apple and the banks to make a deal.

6. iBluetooth macrumors regular

They never announced, as far as I know, it just appeared this morning in the app and the news. Very nice surprise!

7. simonmet macrumors 68020

simonmet

I hope for your sake you get it soon too. It’s a revelation and I can’t live without it. I use it for 95% of purchases and even changed banks to access it in Australia.

It’s also way more secure than physical bank cards. If you lose a bank card or it gets skimmed/duplicated you have to suspend most access to your account and it takes a week or more to get a replacement. No wonder people want NFC purchasing in phones.

I rarely even bother taking a physical card out anymore unless I know I need cash, but many banks do cardless cash withdrawal at ATMs now too, just not mine yet unfortunately.

8. lokomoto macrumors newbie

Slovak banks confirmed that Apple Pay is "coming soon" few weeks ago and nothing happened since then.

9. simonmet macrumors 68020

simonmet

Pretty sure that in banking lingo “coming soon” probably means “probably this year”.

Let’s hope it’s not an Apple AirPower “coming soon”.

:p

10. Robert.Walter macrumors 68000

Robert.Walter

Hey Liechtenstein!

Wake up to Apple Pay. Stop letting the Swiss Banking Kartell dictate to you.

If Iceland can launch it, LLB and LGT at minimum can too!

Time for Apple Pay Maestro or MasterCard debit cards with Apple Pay. (Also Apple Pay ATM authentication.)

11. dsabathi macrumors newbie

dsabathi

boon for apple pay is now available in austria as well

12. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

13. jdmachogg macrumors member

++ Germany. It's the second time they have. MacRumors editors aren't the sharpest tools in the box.

14. tcgjeukens macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

When will it land in Wakanda?

[​IMG]

15. timber macrumors 6502a

Yeah, we also have contactless NFC POS, NFC ATMs, NFC cards, Bank specific apps with NFC payment, NFC transit tickets, you name it.

What we don't have is Apple Pay.

16. rmoliv, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019

rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Apparently only Crédito Agrícola and N26 are going to support Apple Pay as soon as it launches. Major banks like Millennium, Santander or BPI haven't said a word about it (yet). I guess they won't want Apple Pay to compete with their in-app MB Way service.

17. timber macrumors 6502a

Millenium supports Apple Pay in Poland :confused:

18. OneRainbowLight macrumors newbie

What a cool looking debetkort. I would say that I want to bank with them until I remember what happened to their banking system a few years back. ;)

19. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Launching in Iceland this late? That’s cold.

20. Rojaaemon macrumors regular

Another 200,000 adult users, potentially. And that's not counting tourists from nearby continents.

Go, Tim, go!

21. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

?

22. Aslevik macrumors newbie

Aslevik

And Norway, you forgot Norway!

23. Seoras, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019

Seoras macrumors 6502

Seoras

Til hamingju Ísland!
    --- Post Merged, May 8, 2019 ---
    The country launch isn't so important as the bank and retailer uptake.
    I'm in New Zealand, who've had it for a few years now, and my bank (Kiwi Bank) still don't offer it.
    Westpac & ANZ are the only 2 banks here to offer Apple Pay. It was just ANZ until Westpac recently gave in and joined. This is all due to the Australian cartel of banks trying to force Apple to "let them in" on NFC.
    Recently a retailer told me that the "Pay Wave" (contactless pay point) system costs more per transaction which is why so many retailers here in NZ don't offer it.
    So the real news in any country announcement is how many banks (or what percentage) ?

24. iBluetooth macrumors regular

⅔ of main banks, or 66%. That lone bank was asked when they would support it. They got cought, Oops, so they said they were working on it and gave few weeks until ready. Someone didn’t do his job there!
    --- Post Merged, May 8, 2019 ---
    Actually Apple Pay worked in Iceland for tourists with foreign ApplePay cards for two years until now, that the locals can use it

25. capekim macrumors newbie

Fantastic! Carrying around my hammer of Thor just to buy some boiling oil was getting tiring