Apple Pay Launching in Canada With American Express on November 17

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 15, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Pay is expected to expand to its third market this week, launching in Canada this Tuesday, November, 17, reports iPhone in Canada. As previously announced, Apple Pay will be launching through an exclusive partnership with American Express, initially limiting the reach of Apple's payments service in the country.

[​IMG]

As reported by The Globe and Mail last month, sources indicate Apple partnered with American Express in order to expedite the Apple Pay launch in the country, as discussions with the major Canadian banks and other credit card companies had been "dragging."

Beyond Canada, Apple is also partnering with American Express to bring Apple Pay to Australia by the end of the year and to Spain, Singapore, and Hong Kong next year. Apple Pay launched in the United States alongside iOS 8 in September 2014 and expanded to the United Kingdom in July of this year.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launching in Canada With American Express on November 17

2. bdpx macrumors newbie

3. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Bienvenue chez :apple: Pay, Canada
    Welcome to :apple: Pay, Canada!

4. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

So does that mean 9.2 final is shipping on Tuesday? If so, what a shame.. I wanted to see even more optimization be done...

Really hoping I'm wrong.

Happy for those who will now have Apple Pay though :)

5. Jesse1414 macrumors newbie

6. Rynoyes macrumors newbie

Rynoyes

I was in Toronto earlier this year and used Apple Pay every where I went, 90% of places accepted it, I guess it wasn't avail for Canadians

7. macaximx macrumors 6502

 Pay and Amex. Great news to end the day!

8. Saberon2014 macrumors member

Will Scotiabank AmEx cards be supported or just "plain" Amex?

9. macaximx macrumors 6502

Just Amex

10. nickmcpherson97 macrumors member

It's not available through any Canadian services like banks. But 90% of places have had the tech for contactless payments for a long time.

11. Soccertess macrumors 65816

Yup, because you must have had an American Bank's credit card. American Express isn't that popular but if consumers start opening accounts with American Express to use Apple Pay, then Banks will feel the sting.

Does anyone know what the payment terms are for Apple Pay for the banks?

12. nickmcpherson97 macrumors member

The only place I knew of that used Amex was Costco but they switched to a Capital One Mastercard a while ago

13. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Whoopeeo_O...to bad I got a TD visa card...in other words, more waiting and hoping.

14. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

15. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502a

Can someone explain why Apple Pay can't just be a solution that works anywhere where contactless nfc payments are accepted other than wanting to be in control of the process? Not being snide or a "hater", asking seriously.

16. nickmcpherson97 macrumors member

I heard something like $1 for every $100 spent. I've read some where that apple's cut into the processing fee was too much for the banks to deal with as it would cut into their profits

17. nickmcpherson97 macrumors member

The banks make most of their profits from the transaction fees that merchants pay when you use debit/credit. Since Apple acts as a messenger here, they want to take a cut from that fee and the banks don't like that because that means they wouldn't make as much money. It has nothing to do with lack of tech (most places have had the tech for a while)

18. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502a

logicstudiouser

19. nickmcpherson97 macrumors member

They're the reason it hasn't come out sooner. Some blame could go to apple too but mostly the banks. They won't accept the cut Apple wants for using Apple Pay

20. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Until I can use my Visa card w/ apple pay on my iPhone in Canada. It's not here yet.

21. Bocca013 macrumors newbie

Bocca013

The banks here in Australia are really pathetic, I wish they would suck up their pride and just allow Apple Pay.

22. macaximx macrumors 6502

However Amex contactless payment terminals are lacking in Canada. Here's to hoping Pay opens up Amex to the terminals in stores via a different exchange method.

23. Soccertess macrumors 65816

As most credit cards companies in Canada use NFC in there cards, other than security (which would reduce costs for the CC companies), what does Apple bring to the table for them? Yes convenience for customers but banks don't care about that too much.

I wonder if the reduction in profit is offset by the reduced costs of fraud. If I lose my credit card with tap, anyone could use it and that must happen lots.

24. ak37 macrumors newbie

I think they need cooperation from the banks as it is their merchant terminals that are used in each store. The banks in Australia and Apple cannot come to an agreement on interchange fees.

http://origin-www.afr.com/p/tech-ga...y_not_fly_in_australia_CkLRrKSyjSBsxpKmHrkQEK

I have applied for an Amex.

25. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

Meh, no use for Amex here... Wake me up when Apple pay comes to regular bank issued cards and debit cards...

Which is probably not anytime soon...