Apple Pay Nearing Launch in Hungary and Luxembourg

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Pay has been gradually expanding across Europe and the Middle East, launching in Poland, Norway, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, Saudi Arabia, Austria, and Iceland over the last year. Now, we have learned that the service will likely roll out in Hungary and Luxembourg in the near future.

[​IMG]

MacRumors has spotted the usual server-side changes that Apple makes shortly before expanding Apple Pay to new regions -- in this case, Hungary and Luxembourg. The service could launch in both countries within days.

Luxembourg bank BGL BNP Paribas already confirmed that Apple Pay is coming soon to the small European country, but this is the first we've heard about Hungary. Apple Pay will also be available soon in the Netherlands as well as Romania, Estonia, Greece, Portugal, Slovakia, and Slovenia, according to banks ING and N26.

Apple Pay first launched in the United States in October 2014 and has since expanded to dozens of countries and territories. Apple CEO Tim Cook said in March that Apple Pay will be available in more than 40 regions by the end of 2019.

Apple Pay can be used anywhere contactless payments are accepted with a compatible iPhone or Apple Watch.

Article Link: Apple Pay Nearing Launch in Hungary and Luxembourg

2. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

So you can actually see the exact regions, or you just see they added new regions?

3. JepGambardella macrumors newbie

How do you check that? Can I check it?

4. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

I'd like to know that as well, so I can check when they're doing this for the Netherlands!

5. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

My thoughts exactly! Although I have it with Bunq already, I'm still excited for the official ING launch (my main bank)

6. TheAustrianGuy macrumors regular

Apple Pay is so unbelievably slick - I haven‘t paid for anything with anything else but Apple Pay since it launched here a couple weeks ago.

I’m happy for everybody who already has it or will get it soon.

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

If you use Apple Pay in a foreign country, does it show you the amount with exchange rate in your own currency before purchase?

8. daniesy macrumors regular

daniesy

Of course not.

9. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Trade secret :D

10. DennisdeWit macrumors 6502

DennisdeWit

11. TrulsZK macrumors member

TrulsZK

In general no, it will behave exactly the same as it does in your home country.

If you get the option to pay in your local currency or the local currency in the country you are currently in. Apple Pay will show the amount in the currency you selected to pay in, no conversion rate etc.

If you do not get the option, or select to pay in the local currency. Apple Pay will show the amount you paid, in the local currency, again no conversion rate, etc.

To check the exchange rate you must check your mobile bank app or bank statement.

12. Applefanboy2019 macrumors newbie

13. DennisdeWit macrumors 6502

DennisdeWit

I don’t see NL yet. Just wait some longer. I’ve made a script in PHP with Pushover that will send me a push notification as soon as NL appears in the beta file or the final file.

14. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

ING NL will do "Maintenance" this weekend, just for your information......;)

15. DennisdeWit macrumors 6502

DennisdeWit

Could be. But they do so every few weeks.

16. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Just kidding...:)

Soon could be months, IIRC it was announced for a certain country and they still had to wait close to half a year, might have been Germany, could be wrong though.

I myself don't see much in Apple Pay, I can pay as fast if not faster with my card, have it in my hand before checkout, tap and done.

17. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

18. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

So envious of that. The USA is a lot better than it has been but it's definitely not like when I'm overseas and can use Apple Pay in so many more businesses than I'm used to.

19. novakk86 macrumors member

novakk86

Anyway to see if the App store is coming to Serbia?

20. tmiw macrumors 68020

I bet if Visa/MC cut interchange on contactless transactions (maybe not all the way down to EU levels, but say, a few tens of bpp compared to chip/swipe), I bet merchants will fall over themselves to promote it. Of course, that would probably just cause them to have to continually cut interchange every time the US tries to adopt a payment technology 10-15 years after everyone else, hence why they aren't doing it.

21. nikusak macrumors regular

For small purchases yes, but you can’t do that for bigger purchases.

Apple Pay works regardless of the purchase amount, in most countries anyway.

I find it very convenient not having to dig out my card from somewhere. Outside winter my wallet and phone is usually in my backpack - but Apple Watch is on my wrist.

22. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

You have it backwards. They just need to start charging significantly more for swipe. They could do this in steps. Ultimately, i think, it will take legislation to kill swipe.
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2019 ---
    You need to inform yourself better about the basics of AP, then think about the problems related to losing a plastic card with your acct number on it.
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2019 ---
    It’s crazy how long your banks held out. I’ve been using AP w a US based credit card when in Austria for 4 years.

23. tmiw macrumors 68020

There are still a whole bunch of swipe-only cards out there so that might still be unrealistic for now. Additionally, merchants have issues with paying anything for card processing, so keeping chip/contactless at ~3% while raising swipe probably won't go over well on their end either.

24. truthertech macrumors 68000

Interesting idea, but merchants likely don't want to get into discussions and debates with customers about payments, especially when the vast majority of people have already made their decision about how they are going to pay by the time they get to the counter, and asking banks to subsidize the use of Apple Pay by lowering their rates when they are already paying Apple to use Apple Pay would be a non-starter. The merchant doesn't pay ANYTHING for Apple Pay. Instead, Apple Pay charges the banks, generally .015% (15cents on every $100) to use Apple Pay. The banks in the US love it because they pay a tiny amount that is more than made up by the near zero fraud rate of Apple Pay versus a physical card. The hold up in adoption of the US has been based on three reasons:

Switchover by merchants to machines that have NFC readers. This has been the chicken or egg problem. Since there was no initial consumer demand to use Apple Pay, and merchants had already purchased machines with chip readers to accommodate the new credit cards, merchants didn't have a reason to rush out and buy new machines just to add NFC readers. This was true for small merchants, e.g., my dry cleaner :(, but also for large merchants like Lowe's who still haven't invested in new NFC capable machines. Adoption of the NFC capable machines has grown steadily, but is still a cost issue, so they aren't ubiquitous. Witness Costco who now accepts Apple Pay at all its stores, but hasn't switched out the reader on its gas pumps, so you can't use Apple Pay to purchase gas.

The other huge reason for slow adoption by merchants in the US was the reluctance of some of the major chains, such as Walmart, Kroger, Target, etc., who were reluctant to give up the customer data that they lose when you use Apple Pay. Target has just recently caved and now accepts Apple Pay, but Walmart and Kroger are fighting to the end.

The final reason is customer demand. The majority of iPhone users don't understand Apple Pay, such as how it only take a minute to set up, or how to use it at a merchant and how incredibly simple it is to use. Once people use it, the lightbulb goes off. Apple is trying to increase awareness and demand by partnering with merchants to give discounts when you use Apple Pay. I've seen a marked increase in notifications about Apple Pay discounts with local and national on line merchants in the past six months.