Apple Pay Nearing Launch in Hungary and Luxembourg

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 10, 2019.

1. tmiw macrumors 68020

Some merchants already are, though. For instance, Kroger and Walmart Pay being promoted (which can eventually lead to moving people off the card rails onto ACH or similar), not to mention Kroger disabling Visa credit support at a few of their brands. Plus the many smaller businesses that have minimums and/or surcharges for card use.

I don't think it's the belief that they'll pay extra for AP (though in some circumstances they might pay extra for contactless debit card transactions if they end up routing over Visa/MC instead of a domestic debit network). Rather, it's the prospect of card use in general increasing when using a card becomes easier. If you're already unhappy at paying the 3% or whatever for the card volume you're getting, I can see trying to prevent or discourage that from increasing.

On the other hand, if merchants only have to pay, say, 2.5% instead of 3% for contactless, that might be enough of a savings for the holdouts to make it worthwhile to enable. Of course, I don't see Visa/MC ever doing that so this is somewhat moot, but still.

Note that a lot of the holdouts have hardware that's perfectly capable of NFC (for instance, Lowe's uses the same Verifone MX925s that Target uses). Their POS software, assuming it's not 100% custom, might very well support contactless too (but might also need enough retailer specific changes such that it triggers recertification--which again, might not be worth the hassle unless they can get a cost savings and/or more customers).

Many of the holdouts already have loyalty programs or other mechanisms to get that data. They could just vastly increase marketing/incentives for those to make up for any losses in data from using contactless. Hell, Kohl's and Starbucks have their own payment apps too, but still allow contactless payment in store.

This might impact Apple Pay specifically, but contactless cards may very well be more popular. The few that exist at the moment supposedly already have double digit transaction volume on the contactless interface. (I can't find the source for that at the moment.)

2. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Finally! I'm used to Hungary only getting Apple services years later than everyone else, but Apple Pay would be really nice. I believe my iPhone SE has NFC so it should work?

3. IT Nerd, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019

IT Nerd macrumors newbie

That's funny. In Belarus all biggest banks are ready to roll out Apple Pay as soon as possible and clients always asking about Apple Pay more and more, but due to some silly reasons from Apple Rus LLC we are not able to use this technology, even with high share of Apple devices in cellular networks and massive coverage by contactless terminals across the country. You can pay by contactless card or via NFC even in a small village.
    They told us that they're going to rollout Apple Pay in 2019, but after month refused to launch Apple Pay and that's it.

If anyone like us waiting for Apple Pay rollout someone from Belarus made a simple web application for tracking all countries which are live & in beta. This information obtained from Apple Pay's API. Here is a link: wolfmeister.dev

4. lartola, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019 at 7:20 AM

lartola macrumors regular

lartola

The wallet app only shows you the amount in the local currency of the country where you're making the payment; for currency exchange, you will need to check your bank statement. Also, the transaction is only displayed in the recent transaction list after the payment has been made, at which time you may also get a push notification if you have that enabled (for Apple Watch, both the notification and recent transaction list view were only enabled in WatchOS 5).

For example in Mexico, where I use Apple Pay all the time (unofficially, that is), every time I pay I only see the amount in MX$ (Mexico pesos). If I want to know the exchange rate to US dollars (US is the issuing country of the card I use on Apple Pay), I do have to check my bank statement where the purchase amount will be listed both in the US dollars equivalent amount and in MX pesos.
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2019 ---
    Yeah, like sit down restaurants. You can use Apple Pay at sit down restaurants overseas, but not at the ones in the US where they still have to take away the cards to process payment (the only country on earth still doing so)
    It's even crazier how long they're holding out in Mexico. I've been using Apple Pay in Mexico for three years with a US based card, but with no sign of Apple Pay becoming official in the country, It looks like our banks are going to get past the 6-year mark without budging (no doubt they will break the 5-year mark, since that's later this year and by now it's clear enough that Mexico won't get Apple Pay this year).

Yes the iPhone SE is compatible with Apple Pay.