Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week updated its Apple Pay page in Mexico to make it clear that the payment service will not be launching in the country until 2021. The website now says "Disponible en el 2021," which means available in 2021.

apple-pay-mexico-2021.jpg

Signs of Apple Pay in Mexico first surfaced in March 2020 when some iPhone users in Mexico were able to add their Banregio cards to the Wallet app after changing their region to the United States, suggesting Apple Pay support was in the works.

Apple in October 2020 added an Apple Pay page to its Mexico website, and the addition of Apple Pay details is usually a sign of an imminent launch. It's not clear if there has been some kind of delay, but prior to now, the page only said "Coming Soon" with no specific release date listed.

There's no word yet on which banks will support Apple Pay as the page says it will be compatible with "credit and debit cards of the most important payment networks, issued by various banks." The page also features American Express, Visa, and Mastercard logos.

When Apple Pay launches in Mexico, it will be the second Latin American country to support the service. Apple Pay launched in Brazil in 2018, but it has not yet expanded to other countries in Latin America.

Apple maintains a complete list of the countries where ‌‌Apple Pay‌‌ is available on its support site, and we have an Apple Pay roundup with everything you need to know about Apple's payments service.

Article Link: Apple Pay Not Coming to Mexico Until 2021

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
The webpage changed from coming soon to sometime next year. That not a good sign for those who were hoping for an imminent launch.

I agree, my guess is the banks or something regulatory related, as someone clearly missed a deadline somewhere... and my first guess is that its not Apple...

Reactions: PickUrPoison

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Dont feel too bad my friends, we are still trying to get businesses on board just to accept it in the US. It’s getting a lot better but I still cant buy my second largest monthly expense with ApplePay around here, groceries. Some of the chains offer it but Kroger is still a no. Publix is a yes but the closest is 3 hours away. Cant get home improvement supplies either from Lowes or Home Depot. I dont shop Wal Mart much but they are still a NO.

iGüey

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2020
Mexico City
It says “Available in 2021“, but 2021 will have 365 long days, so “available in 2021” could mean available soon at the first months of the year, at the middle or at the end. Good for us, but the uncertainty for an exact date is yet in the air.

Reactions: cdcastillo

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I agree, my guess is the banks or something regulatory related, as someone clearly missed a deadline somewhere... and my first guess is that its not Apple...
Sounds like a last minute issue for sure, if I had to guess it’s not only Apple but also not the banks.

The US has very strict laws on bribery of foreign officials, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Apple doesn’t play that game. If Apple Pay never comes to Mexico, it wouldn’t surprise me.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Dont feel too bad my friends, we are still trying to get businesses on board just to accept it in the US. It’s getting a lot better but I still cant buy my second largest monthly expense with ApplePay around here, groceries. Some of the chains offer it but Kroger is still a no. Publix is a yes but the closest is 3 hours away. Cant get home improvement supplies either from Lowes or Home Depot. I dont shop Wal Mart much but they are still a NO.
It’s not just Apple Pay, it’s all the Pays. Those stores have deactivated the NFC readers in their card terminals in an attempt to force you to use their in-house digital payment system.

No thanks, I’ll just use my highest cash back rewards credit card and stick them with the highest interchange fee.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
2021 is in like in 3 weeks, so big woop
Doesn't mean it's launching immediately when the year starts, so the whoop could be bigger than your quote implies. 2021 consists of 12 months, not just 1. Look at the elapsed time between Apple Pay's first sighting in Mexico (March) and the appearance on the Apple Pay on Apple's Mexican site (October). We have no idea which quarter this could happen... if at all in 2021.

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA

Kroger's currently testing it at QFC, so maybe it'll get a wider rollout soon after the holidays (retailers really don't like doing POS/terminal updates now for obvious reasons).

It’s not just Apple Pay, it’s all the Pays. Those stores have deactivated the NFC readers in their card terminals in an attempt to force you to use their in-house digital payment system.

No thanks, I’ll just use my highest cash back rewards credit card and stick them with the highest interchange fee.

The irony is that interchange is very possibly one of the big reasons why stores are resisting NFC (which has tended to increase card usage in general in most every other country). After all, many only enabled it due to the pandemic when their hands were basically tied.

However, that's not to say that they'll immediately get on board if the US, say, capped interchange at 0.2% like Europe. Merchants have a lot of other gripes with Visa and MC, too, that may need to be worked through first--not to mention that cards have been a thing long enough that their costs are mostly baked into the economy now.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
In my neck of the woods, cash is still king and also convenient. Sure for getting on subways and whatnot, IC cards are excellent, but there's no beating the experience of wrenching cash from your wallet to pay for something you don't need to help remind you to manage a budget.

Apple Pay is just a more convenient way to part "people" and their money.

alexandr

macrumors 68040
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
i'm confused - i used apple pay in mexico this february in several places. or is this talking about mexican bank participation?

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Kroger's currently testing it at QFC, so maybe it'll get a wider rollout soon after the holidays (retailers really don't like doing POS/terminal updates now for obvious reasons).

The irony is that interchange is very possibly one of the big reasons why stores are resisting NFC (which has tended to increase card usage in general in most every other country). After all, many only enabled it due to the pandemic when their hands were basically tied.

However, that's not to say that they'll immediately get on board if the US, say, capped interchange at 0.2% like Europe. Merchants have a lot of other gripes with Visa and MC, too, that may need to be worked through first--not to mention that cards have been a thing long enough that their costs are mostly baked into the economy now.
My understanding is that it’s not the interchange fee but the fact those large retailers know the value of and want to acquire/own the customer purchase data. They don’t want that data to be anonymized by Apple Pay.

I’m not going to cut off my nose to spite my face by refusing to do business with a retailer that offers the best deal, just because they don’t allow Apple Pay. If I actually cared about them acquiring my data, I’d just pay cash.

So no Apple Pay? No problem. But it’s going to cost them. I really don’t care how fractional of a percentage point it adds to their expense. (I don’t use rewards cards at the small businesses I patronize though. I actually like them 🙂)

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
My understanding is that it’s not the interchange fee but the fact those large retailers know the value of and want to acquire/own the customer purchase data. They don’t want that data to be anonymized by Apple Pay.

I’m not going to cut off my nose to spite my face by refusing to do business with a retailer that offers the best deal, just because they don’t allow Apple Pay. If I actually cared about them acquiring my data, I’d just pay cash.

So no Apple Pay? No problem. But it’s going to cost them. I really don’t care how fractional of a percentage point it adds to their expense. (I don’t use rewards cards at the small businesses I patronize though. I actually like them 🙂)
If they want data give Walgreens a call. They have made it so easy to NFC my points card then do the same with my payment. I’m waiting for Costco to let me use my app at the pump. I can use it in store and can use ApplePay at the pump but I still need a physical card to activate the pump. If you have tried you will know the digital member ID can only live on one device at a time so its not like I’m giving my card to others to use.

I did read Kroger is testing but this is not the first time. Last time they tested they said not enough people used it to make it worth it. Home Depot was one of the first places I used ApplePay. Once they figured out it was working and joined the MCX group they turned it off and never put it back. I’m down to 3 physical cards and want less. License, insurance card, credit card which is to me my backup to ApplePay for all the places that dont take it. I look first for tap to pay.

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA

A lot of the remaining holdouts already collect data via other means, though (for instance, via a separate loyalty program).

Also, keep in mind that CurrentC--when it existed--only accepted store cards and ACH bank debits as valid payment methods. You don't do that if you're 100% fine with accepting cards.

I did read Kroger is testing but this is not the first time. Last time they tested they said not enough people used it to make it worth it. Home Depot was one of the first places I used ApplePay. Once they figured out it was working and joined the MCX group they turned it off and never put it back. I’m down to 3 physical cards and want less. License, insurance card, credit card which is to me my backup to ApplePay for all the places that dont take it. I look first for tap to pay.

Kroger might be more serious about it this time. I suspect the first test was mainly so they could justify not doing it, as it wasn't really marketed at all.

iGüey

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2020
Mexico City
i'm confused - i used apple pay in mexico this february in several places. or is this talking about mexican bank participation?

May be you were able to use Apple Pay in Mexico surely because as a tourist you have already Apple Pay active with your Apple ID. I mean, I’m Mexican and I can tell you for sure that I still don’t have Apple Pay. Mexicans Apple IDs still don’t have Apple Pay active.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
A lot of the remaining holdouts already collect data via other means, though (for instance, via a separate loyalty program).

Also, keep in mind that CurrentC--when it existed--only accepted store cards and ACH bank debits as valid payment methods. You don't do that if you're 100% fine with accepting cards.
<snip>
Though they’re already paying the lowest possible rates, no doubt those NFC deniers would rather pay no card fees at all. They would love to get their hands on your ACH. So how did that go? Not well at all.

Turns out consumers are incredibly resistant to handing over their bank account info to stores. Given that they are forced by their own customers to take credit cards, why are they refusing customers contactless payment, esp. during a out of control pandemic?

iGüey

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2020
Mexico City
Though they’re already paying the lowest possible rates, no doubt those NFC deniers would rather pay no card fees at all. They would love to get their hands on your ACH. So how did that go? Not well at all.

Turns out consumers are incredibly resistant to handing over their bank account info to stores. Given that they are forced by their own customers to take credit cards, why are they refusing customers contactless payment, esp. during a out of control pandemic?

I think you guys are over analyzing the issue. The fact is that unfortunately, Mexico is still a third world country, so the adoption of new technologies goes at a slow pace due to the costs that it means. As an example, I can tell you that barely just recently (2 months to date) Walmart has introduced self-service cashiers (in selected stores), while I have seen them in USA since several years ago. This fact along with the other fact that our president lives and governs as if we were in 1970....

Actually, a lot of people don’t have credit cards nor even a bank account, so millions transactions a day are made with cash.

Obviously, as a Mexican living in Mexico, I’m not proud of this backwardness, but is what it is, and I think is the main reason of what you are arguing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.