Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_pay_phone_hand-250x298.jpg
A few banks out of the United Kingdom today have announced Apple Pay support for their customers, including Lloyds Bank, Bank of Scotland, and Halifax (a division of Bank of Scotland). Lloyds had previously told its customers that Apple Pay support would be coming "very soon" back in August.

The three new banks join a growing list of UK Apple Pay participating issuers including: American Express, MBNA, Nationwide, NatWest, Royal Bank of Scotland, Santander, Ulster Bank, First Direct, and HSBC.

Still listed on the Coming Soon section of the UK Apple Pay website are M&S Bank and TSB, and although Barclays confirmed "imminent" support of Apple Pay in the UK back in July, it has yet to join in support of the service.

Apple Pay officially launched in the UK on July 13 with more than 250,000 retail locations backing the contactless payments service. In the weeks following its announcement, the service has grown its roster of supporting retail partners and financial institutions, along with expanding the upper limit for transactions on the service to £30 per transaction instead of £20.

Update: M&S Bank has begun a roll-out process of support for Apple Pay, mentioning that some customers will be able to add their M&S Bank-issued credit and debit cards into Apple Pay during the roll-out.

Article Link: Apple Pay Now Supported by Halifax, Lloyds, and Bank of Scotland in the UK [Updated]

HarryT

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2013
Please be aware that there is an issue with Mastercards and Lloyds at the moment. Apple are working on a fix and you'll be able to register your cards when its fixed later today/tomorrow.

lazarusr

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Not only are Barclays not currently supporting Apple Pay (or providing any date when they will) but I got a letter from them to day stating that they would not be supporting the increase in the contactless limit from £20 to £30. Good grief!

In other news, I was able to use Apple Pay (in the UK) using a card from another bank to buy something for over £60!!

Reactions: orbital~debris

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
Please be aware that there is an issue with Mastercards and Lloyds at the moment. Apple are working on a fix and you'll be able to register your cards when its fixed later today/tomorrow.

I just managed to register two MasterCard cards issued by Bank of Scotland, and Halifax. Hence maybe just few unfortunate ones? :(

MrMoonUK

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
UK
Not only are Barclays not currently supporting Apple Pay (or providing any date when they will) but I got a letter from them to day stating that they would not be supporting the increase in the contactless limit from £20 to £30. Good grief!

In other news, I was able to use Apple Pay (in the UK) using a card from another bank to buy something for over £60!!

Their website says contactless is up to £30?????

http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/pay-with-barclaycard/how-to-use-contactless

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland

Maybe switch your bank? I'm with Nationwide, they're currently offering £100 to switch. PM me if you'd like an invite.
http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/landing-page/recommend-a-friend

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I wish news sites would correctly report that the limit, whether £20 or £30 doesn't apply to all shops and not online either.

Also that as contactless is more established in the UK at stores where the average transaction is low, this isn't as big an issue as it seems.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I just managed to register two MasterCard cards issued by Bank of Scotland, and Halifax. Hence maybe just few unfortunate ones? :(

I added my Lloyds Gold Debit and it registered on the phone and then offered to register on the Watch, and did so successfully.
Then tried my Lloyds Platinum MasterCard, registered on the phone successfully but won't register on the watch.

Hmmmm

The Bogeyman

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Under your stairs
Haha I'm so glad I don't bank with Barclays! They really have shot themselves in the foot over this. Really hope that they lose loads of customers because of it. They lost me years ago due to their abysmal customer service.

Moaning aside, I have been using Apple Pay for a month or so, and I really like it. It always shocks cashiers who aren't expecting me to pay with my watch!

Someone asked about Shell petrol stations above, and I don't know about them, but in the UK, if the shop accepts contactless payments at all, they will accept Apple Pay with no bother. This means that they may not advertise it, but there are simply thousands of places you can use it. Although annoyingly not at Sainsbury's or Tesco.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Just gave it a try in Mcdonalds. Cashier person asked me if I wanted to pay by card, pulled out phone "Gonna give this a try!". When it worked I squeaked. We laughed. I drunk the milkshake. I died a little.
McDonald's has to be winning in the "First :apple:Pay use" category.

Best description ever! If you're up for the challenge, watch what happens at the drive through. They have a machine that reminded me of the guns in The Fifth Element.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Barclays are waiting to see if they really need to join up. They will be looking for how much use and migration their competitors are seeing as well as if Barclays are losing any customers to Pay banks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.