Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 10 includes support for Apple Pay on the web, allowing users to make purchases from websites using Apple's payment service and Touch ID fingerprint authentication. Now that iOS 10 is available to the public, websites have started rolling out support for the Apple Pay on the web feature.

Time Inc. today announced that its customers are now able to use Apple Pay to purchase subscriptions for its line of magazines, including Sports Illustrated, People, Entertainment Weekly, and Real Simple.

Last week, online retailer Wayfair announced support for Apple Pay on the web, giving shoppers an option to pay for furniture and home décor products through Apple Pay. Apple, of course, is accepting Apple Pay on its website too.

applepayweb-800x417.jpg

Backend payment services including Big Commerce, Shopify, Stripe, and Squarespace have all announced support for Apple Pay on the web, giving smaller merchants an easy way to accept Apple Pay payments for purchases.

In the coming weeks, we should see Apple Pay rolling out to many websites, giving customers an alternative to existing payment services like PayPal. With Apple Pay, purchases can be made with a single touch, and there's no need to enter credit card or shipping details. Apple Pay is also secure, keeping card numbers and other personal information out of the hands of vendors.

When macOS Sierra is released to the public next Tuesday, Apple Pay on the web will also be available on the Mac. As with Apple Pay on the iPhone, purchases will be authenticated through a connection with an iPhone 6 or later or an authenticated Apple Watch.

According to Apple, macOS Sierra's Apple Pay on the web feature will be available to all customers who have a Handoff-enabled Mac that is able to run the Sierra operating system.

On mobile devices, Apple Pay on the web is available on the iPhone 6 and later, the iPad Pro, the iPad Air 2, and the iPad mini 3 and later.

Article Link: Apple Pay on the Web Starts Rolling Out Following iOS 10 Release

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I don't understand how this works. There's no Touch ID on my Macs (yet), so what happens, I try to buy something in the browser and it sends a notification to my iPhone? Then I Touch ID the phone and it notifies the website?

Reactions: akadafni

Villarrealadrian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2016
I'm feeling this planned obsolescence is getting more aggressive with apple why not implement it on a 5s? they have a touch ID too?

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
I just wish the rollout would be quicker worldwide. In the Czech Republic, contactless payments have been used for years as they are most of Europe, not sure if it's the legislation or just deals with banks.

Reactions: RosOne and CB1234

mthomas184

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2016
Cupertino
I don't understand how this works. There's no Touch ID on my Macs (yet), so what happens, I try to buy something in the browser and it sends a notification to my iPhone? Then I Touch ID the phone and it notifies the website?

Correct. Either your phone or watch.

Reactions: HiRez

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

Yes. Apple verifies that you have given biometric approval and you don't have to give your CC info to the site at all. Doubly secure.

Reactions: HiRez

Euge

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006
I just wish the rollout would be quicker worldwide. In the Czech Republic, contactless payments have been used for years as they are most of Europe, not sure if it's the legislation or just deals with banks.

When I was in Prague I used it twice. Both times the people were amazed that I paid with my phone. So it definitely works with US cards; I think it's the bank side of things that need to be worked out.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Pay, pay, pay, buy, buy, buy. I can't blame apple for making money.

I guess money grows on trees.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Pay, pay, pay, buy, buy, buy. I can't blame apple for making money.

I guess money grows on trees.

It isn't really about making money from Apple Pay itself - the revenue likely barely covers the R&D and infrastructure costs. It's more about the ecosystem, strengthening the case for buying and staying with Apple products. Same with iMessage, Apple Music, etc...

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
tap a button and confirm with finger print on iphone - couldn't be any easier AND your actual credit card number isn't sent to the receiving store - all they get is a token!!!!!! Brick and mortar stores need to get on board FAST!!!!! Once again Apple shows everyone else how it's done!

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
It isn't really about making money from Apple Pay itself - the revenue likely barely covers the R&D and infrastructure costs. It's more about the ecosystem, strengthening the case for buying and staying with Apple products. Same with iMessage, Apple Music, etc...
Oh i know. Yeah it is ecosystem. I'm just saying..all this different ways to buy stuff.

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
When I was in Prague I used it twice. Both times the people were amazed that I paid with my phone. So it definitely works with US cards; I think it's the bank side of things that need to be worked out.

Good to know, thanks! I still have UK cards as well, which can be added however hoping for a full support soon!

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008

Remember, typing on tiny screens using emoji is the future. Supposedly no one shops on full-size PCs anymore. I haven't bought anything I exclusively looked at on my iPhone or iPad. I use ApplePay on my watch to pay for goods in person but buying something on the phone just seems crazy. How can you get the whole picture?

Once Touch ID comes to the Mac, I'll start using this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.