Apple Pay Question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Caps4Cup, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Caps4Cup macrumors newbie

Apple talks about Apple Pay eliminating the need for credit cards but have they announced anything about using it at a restaurant in which you would normally give them your card? Any info on this?

Thanks!

2. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Sorry what info is needed? If merchant doesn't have compatible NFC reader, Apple Pay can't be used. No ands, ifs or buts.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Eliminating credit cards is very ambitious. It will happen eventually but not as quickly as Apple would have people think. Batteries is one of many factors. Imagine you are out there with no cards or cash and your phone battery runs out :eek:

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

At the BJ's restaurant if you use their BJ's app you can pay at the table without ever involving the Server. You also have the option of leaving a tip. It is not done by using Pay but by just using a standard credit card. Then at the end of the transaction it will email you the receipt if you wish. I imaging that with the ingenuity that Apple has that they have already thought of this or that is would be one of the more minor things to overcome given that they already got the hard part accomplished of by laying the groundwork of getting the credit card providers onboard.

5. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Credit cards are here to stay, at least for now. That's advertising hype.

6. srazz macrumors regular

srazz

They also mentioned using the OpenTable app which most restaurants participate in.

7. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

Credit cards, if they are to be eliminated, will die a slow and laborious death.

Once merchants adopt fixed NFC readers, the next move would be portable readers - similar to the portable mag stripe or chip/pin readers that are (more) common in Europe.

Come to that, with most merchants having to convert to chip and pin next year, restaurants will likely have to adopt portable readers as well, since they can't very well ask the customer for their pin and vanish to process the transaction.

Pay will likely benefit from a tech refresh here too.

8. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

There is a need to be a standard where all types of transaction is accepted. Not this Google Wallet, Apple Pay, CurrentC only crap. Could you imagine being at certain business where only Discover card is accept, and not Visa, Master and not Amex, and so on...

9. Playgear macrumors regular

In Australia, swiping your card and signing for payments has been totally phased out as of 1st August 2014 in favour of Chip & PIN. So when we pay for things at restaurants now, the waiters have portable card readers where you can either dip your chip in and key your PIN or flash your NFC card to pay.

So that's likely how things will go in the US too.

10. dazed macrumors 6502a

It's like that in Canada too. They still accept swipe and sign but that's just for some older cards like Amex that hasn't switched yet, and tourists from countries who don't have the tech yet ( e.g US )

11. H1JJY macrumors member

In the UK we had Chip and PIN for over 10 years and phase out the old system a number of years ago.

A lot of places already have 'touch to pay' systems as a number of cards in the UK do that (only up to £15)

So can't see why Apple pay won't be in the UK soon.

12. sohaloh macrumors regular

Yeah I was amazed on my last trip to the U.S. No chips there but even the convenience stores in Canada have chip readers and it's been like that for years.

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

There are plenty of businesses that only accept Visa and Mastercard but not Discover and American Express so that point is moot

14. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

'America! F#$k yeah!

[​IMG]

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's a very valid point, and also one that shows why an inductive charging standard is needed. Starbucks is going to roll out some of this for iPhones soon, and it's something that could allow wireless charging at many restaurants and other places you might stay for a while.

But honestly I'm not worried about that. I'm really good at either keeping my phone charged or having a method of charging it if I need to. Mine will quite often get down below 20 percent, but I have my car charger handy. I usually just know I can make it home without charging and then let it do so overnight.

I'd really like to know if Apple Pay will do anything about receipts. I would much rather have a camera roll type thing of receipts instead of slips of paper that will do nothing but clutter my car.

16. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

Apple pay, and google wallet all work off NFC so if they take NFC they take those.

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I would like to see receipts automatically emailed.

18. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

Receipts will be up to the merchant. Apple has no visibility to who you paid, what you bought, or how much you spent, ergo they cannot generate or store a receipt.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For Americans, in the credit card arena, we follow Canada and Europe. Fortunately during my last trip to Canada, vendors could still facilitate my antiquated card... :p

As far as credit cards are here to stay, I predict this technology will be rapidly adopted. My impression is that there is a high standard of security, and there will no longer be the need for huge merchant card, pin number databases that can be raided. Is that accurate?

Is it fair to say that Apple Pay is leading edge? I assume this is superior to "chip" cards.

20. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I was at a restaurant in NYC a few weeks ago that only accepted cash and Amex. Go figure.

21. lenard macrumors 6502

When I go somewhere to spend money, if they don't have my payment method, I
    don't go there.

22. SusanK macrumors 68000

I still carry cash. Wallet with ccs in purse. Cash on person.

23. kds786 macrumors regular

kds786

I'm sure it will work. Disney, for example, can scan your Magic Band and still take a card. And the technology that Apple Pay is going to use may be universal eventually.

24. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Except Apple Pay uses Visa, Mastercard and Amex. And Apple Pay functions on an open standard that everyone can use. The readers work with Google Wallet as well, but most people probably don't know about it.

25. Playgear macrumors regular

I agree, and I absolutely abhor cash/coins.

A fair few places in Australia are still 'cash only'. Until they suck up the tiny credit card fees, they won't be getting my business.