Apple Pay Rolling Out at Target, Taco Bell, and Jack in the Box Across the U.S. in Coming Weeks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 22, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced that Apple Pay is in the process of rolling out in Target stores across the United States and will be available at all of the retailer's 1,850 locations nationwide in the coming weeks.

[​IMG]

While it has accepted Apple Pay in its app for quite some time, Target was one of the biggest Apple Pay holdouts in terms of its stores.

Apple Pay is also rolling out to more than 7,000 Taco Bell and 2,200 Jack in the Box locations in the United States in the next few months, and recently became available at more than 245 Hy-Vee grocery stores in the Midwest as well as approximately 3,000 Speedway locations across the country, according to Apple.

With the addition of these national retailers, 74 of the top 100 merchants in the United States and 65 percent of all retail locations across the country support or will soon support Apple Pay, according to Apple. This includes last year's major additions of Costco, CVS, and 7-Eleven.

Update: REDcards cannot be added to Apple Pay at this time, according to Target's customer service account on Twitter. We've confirmed with Target's media relations team that this information is accurate.

Article Link: Apple Pay Rolling Out at Target, Taco Bell, and Jack in the Box Across the U.S. in Coming Weeks

2. ersan191 macrumors 65816

And another domino falls. Walmart and Publix are the only holdouts here.

3. MacBoy88 macrumors regular

I wonder if Target’s Red Card will finally get support

4. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Wow this is huge news. Too bad Walmart will never join.

5. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

They held out a lot longer than I expected them to.

This is big for Apple Pay.

6. AFPoster macrumors 68000

7. ineedamac macrumors 6502

This is great news. I hope they incorporate the 5% Red Card discount. If not, this is still a big deal.

8. Fender2112 macrumors 65816

Fender2112

Oooo. Finally somewhere I actually shop.

I set up ApplePay on my iPhone about two years ago and have yet to use it.
    By the time I realize the merchant accepts ApplePay, I've already pulled out my debit card.

9. notyocheese macrumors newbie

Finally! I can't believe how stubborn these last MCX holdouts are. Ok, Walmart you're looking pretty lonely out there.

10. Xirian macrumors member

I wonder if we'll be able to add our red cards. I thought store cards were supported but google doesn't turn anything up.

11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Yes, please support the Red Card!

12. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

Love Target.
    5% off with RED card plus free delivery, and tax-free.
    What is not to like? (With or Without Apple Pay)

13. chabig macrumors 603

14. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I’m surprised they finally did it. I think their objective was to hold out long enough to reach a certain level of red card subscribers before opening that door.

15. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

I doubt Walmart cares. Last time I checked, their Walmart Pay was the leading mobile payment system in the US. Publix? That's a different story. They might need to get on board. Walmart... not so much.

16. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Hope so. I only use that at target. If not, then this news is meh to me.

17. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Hope so.

I’ve been using Apple Pay at Hy-Vee now for a month? Favorite thing about it is it still prompts you to remove your card when using Apple Pay or a swipe card...

18. SoundJudgment macrumors regular

SoundJudgment

If Taco Bell is joining the Apple Pay party, then KFC should be included as they are co-owned.

19. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Same thing for Pizza Hut?

20. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Awww what happened to CurrrentC?

How did these retailers ever think that they could get their crappy payment standard to beat something as quick and streamlined as ApplePay? I mean, there must’ve been at least a few higher placed executives who took one look at CurrentC and said: “Guys, this is terrible”.

21. davie18 macrumors 6502

I cant believe how far behind the US is when it comes to contactless payments. In the UK, contactless bank cards have been standard for payments less than £30 for years now, and then apple pay came a while after those and can be used pretty much anywhere in a big city like London, or still many places in smaller cities.

In London we've had contactless cards for public transport for like 15 years now as well... How is the US payment system so outdated?!

I don't get why apple pay is rolled out to specific merchants? In the UK you can use apple pay even in the tiniest shop as long as they have a contactless card machine... which they usually do now because they're so cheap even for tiny businesses. How come this isn't the case in the US?

22. SoundJudgment macrumors regular

SoundJudgment

I never even bother with Apple Pay on the iPhone, as my Apple Watch already has it covered.

23. ineedamac macrumors 6502

I agree. Kroger vast stores should accept Apple Pay as well.

24. Sasparilla, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019

Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Cool! Nice to see, Apple Pay now will be at virtually all my main stores.

A tale of woe - unlike cash, the card / wireless / remote payment system in the U.S. is controlled by the U.S. corporate banking system, not the government and merchants can decide if they want to spend the money to roll out new readers that support wireless or turn the wireless off (some did). Anything that costs extra money will be put off and avoided.

We had wireless payments around the turn of the century (if memory serves), however they were not secure (you could remotely read people's card numbers walking through crowds) and typically tied to debit cards (from your checking account) where you don't want your card number stolen and charged so people stayed away from them. I'm guessing they're much more secure for you folks now.

25. matc macrumors newbie

I don't get it. It's a simple upgrade to terminals to enable NFC payments. Everything else is a marketing stunt. Every Square merchant can announce that they "roll out" Apple Pay. And guess what: They're also "rolling out" Google Pay - if they like it or not.