Apple Pay should have launched in Europe first

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsmemuffins, Oct 27, 2014.

1. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Apple, instead of launching Apple Pay in the US, should have debuted it in the EU.

Here where we have used NFC, contactless payments and chip and pin for over a decade. The exact opposite of the situation in the US.
    There would have been far less confusion, both from customers and cashiers.

We wouldn't have had all these posts of,

I tried to use Apple pay, but the cashier thought I was trying to do a Jedi mind trick, waving my iPhone about.

Or

I went to McDonalds and tried to use Apple Pay, but the cashier thought I was ordering apple pie.

Or

I tried to use Apple Pay, but the cashier took the phone off me and tried to swipe it.

Also we wouldn't have had retailers disabling NFC so people couldn't use Apple Pay.

Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy reading all these comedy of error threads. I just feel it's a waisted opportunity on Apples part, to launch Apple Pay properly.

Because if Apple Pay isn't a success in the US. I doubt it will get a world wide launch. Many times I have left the house with my phone but without my wallet. Only to realise I need to buy something but was unable to.

So I'm saying this to all you Yanks. Get your **** together. Make Apple Pay a success.

2. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I really wish they would. My bank and credit card issuing bank both have decided at this point are not allowing Apple Pay for their cards. So right now I can't even use it. It's crap like that hurts it from taking off.

I thought for sure Apple Pay would only make NFC terminals more popular, but it seems it's just making us consumers more made. It's a much safer way to pay, but people can't understand it.

I do agree with you though. It would have been a much more success launch in Europe, but the problem is Apple is a US based company. Had they release in Europe first. They would have been burned at the stake here. Put this on top of idiots bending their phones, and it would have been a disaster for Apple.

Hopefully things start to turn around, and we start to see it take off.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So an European thinks an American company should not have launched it in the home country? Makes a lot of sense.

4. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

When the market is more mature. Why not? At the very least in tandem.

5. srshaw macrumors 6502

I think a European suggested that Europe is a little ahead of the US in terms of using modern payment systems.

Having visited the US this summer, I would agree. Here in Britain, I want to pay for a beer, I just swipe my contacless payment over a terminal, job done. If they don't take contactless, I stick my card in the terminal and enter a pin. At no times do I hand my card over.

In the US to pay for a beer, I hand over the card, wait for a piece of paper and sign it (a bit like we used to do over 10 years ago). In the meantime I hope the barperson is trust worthy and hasn't cloned my card. Oops, too bad, I am now paying for someone in Californaia buying computer games at my expense.

I Think the OP was mearly suggesting there may be more retailers in Europe with the necessary hardware to take Apple pay and staff in shops more familiar woth contactless payments.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

While Europe already has it, the US probably needs Apple Pay to help mature the market.
    I guess, ultimately, it would've been weird for an American company to first offer a product elsewhere.

I think Apple Pay will be coming to Europe soon.

7. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

If Apple were to test it first, Canada would have been the more likely market. Pity stupid government and banks will make Apple just through hoops with endless red tape before Apple Pay is accepted here.

8. meechy macrumors 6502

Wait, you're telling me Americans don't have chip and pin and contactless cards??

9. bidwalj macrumors 65816

The usa market makes the most sense. Why, because regulation here has made it that all businesses must switch to the sim system. They all must get new machines. Consumers will all have to change their ways. When you are forced to make change, why not get as many consumers than to Stick to your system? Harder to penetrate a mature system.

----------

No. There wasn't a need for it until now. Hackers target usa because of the old system. New laws will require it by next oct.

10. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

It's true that payment systems are more advanced in Europe but that's not enough to make a dent in the European market.

The European bank market is totally different. Banks need to be contacted per country. The biggest bank of Germany is not the biggest bank of Spain.

In the US, getting the 3 biggest banks and the major credit players gives you a whole lot more.

Same for retailers, the market is very diverse in Europe hence difficult to penetrate. Who's the equivalent of a wholefood? Food lion? Albert Heijn?

11. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Whilst it's true that the logistics are easier for the U.S. Most of the infrastructure is already in place in the EU and more importantly the populous is already educated.

12. srshaw macrumors 6502

I couldn't believe it either when I went. I'm now trying to recover some money from someone using my credit card fraudulently, obviously as a result of handing it over to a waiter or similar to pay for a meal.

Fortunately the credit card company realised there was a problem and stopped my card.