Apple Pay Support Coming to Domino's By Year's End, Cinnabon Next Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 17, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has confirmed to AP that Apple Pay support is coming to pizza chain Domino's by year's end, followed by cinnamon roll chain Cinnabon next year. The news comes less than two months after Apple said Starbucks, KFC and Chili's locations will begin supporting Apple Pay starting next year.
    Apple Pay is accepted at more than 1 million locations in the U.S., and at over 250,000 more locations in the U.K. The mobile payments service launched in Canada for American Express cardholders earlier today, with participating retailers including Apple, Indigo, McDonald's, Tim Hortons, Staples and more.

While Cinnabon and Domino's also have Canadian subsidiaries, both chains will support Apple Pay at U.S. locations only at launch.

Apple also confirmed that Apple Pay will launch in Australia on Thursday, November 19, exclusively for American Express customers. Apple Pay will launch in partnership with American Express in Spain, Singapore and Hong Kong next year. Apple has not disclosed plans for other countries.

Apple Pay gained support for Tesco Bank and TSB in the U.K. today, in addition to nearly 100 new participating U.S. issuers.

Article Link: Apple Pay Support Coming to Domino's By Year's End, Cinnabon Next Year

2. JCrz macrumors 6502

This is good and all, but we really need to see Apple Pay in subways/metros/buses and other forms of public transportation.

3. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Apple Pay Support Coming to Dominos By Year's End, Cinnabon Next Year, and the American Diabetes Association soon after.

4. JDuggan macrumors newbie

JDuggan

5. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Good news! The more places the better.

Kind of off topic but are cell phones still considered a no-no around gas pumps? How great would Apple Pay at a gas pump be? Any talk out there of something like this?

6. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

7. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

And we'll all be gaining something by shopping at these places!

8. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Urban legend...

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

9. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Good then the possibility of NFC pumps someday isn't ruled out.

Isn't it amazing how things based in zero fact or research can be taken so religiously due to fear or assumptions?

10. tmiw macrumors 68000

It really needs to go to grocery stores that most people actually shop at. While it's good that Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Sprouts have it, those stores are hardly ubiquitous in the US. Unfortunately it looks like neither Safeway, Walmart and Kroger have any plans to enable it any time soon, if ever. (Walmart hates cards so they never will, Kroger's only enabling chip cards at their stores right now and and the screen at Safeway stores just says "swipe or insert".) Which sucks because those are the biggest grocers in the country.

That said, how often do people pay for pizza in the actual store? How many company-owned Domino's locations are there compared to franchised ones? Can you pay with it in the app already?

11. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

I get excited about who's going to adapt apple pay next but then disappointed on who they are...... I don't frequent either of those places! ARG!

Chilis is a good start i guess.

12. xero9 macrumors 6502a

We've been tapping to pay at the pump in Canada for years.

13. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I'm peanut butter and jealous.

image.jpeg

14. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

I was on a date, and we went to the Apple Store after because she was buying EarPods. The checkout guy lectured her for about 10 minutes about how she should set up Apple Pay on her iPhone 6, then she paid with cash. :D

15. JonneyGee macrumors 6502

JonneyGee

Apple Pay's biggest weakness so far has been a lack of merchants. It's nice to see that changing. I'm hoping for more grocery stores (Kroger, please), gas stations, and restaurants soon!

16. Sonmi451 Suspended

I would hope most of you have more respect for your body than to eat at Domino's and Cinnabon.

17. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Does Walmart really "hate cards" in the United States? Here in Japan, the Seiyu chain of grocery stores (which is wholly owned by Walmart) accepts cards — and even offers a Walmart-branded credit card to shoppers.

[​IMG]

18. JonneyGee macrumors 6502

JonneyGee

Walmart hates the fees from credit card companies. That's the whole reason they started MCX/CurrentC – it's not about convenience for customers, it's about getting out of credit card fees as they encourage people to link their bank accounts to CurrentC instead of a card. That's also why CurrentC is so clunky and awful.

19. tmiw macrumors 68000

Walmart re: CurrentC:

Remember, the US never got a single debit network. Instead of something like Canada's Interac, we got something close to 20 separate regional networks. Eventually our debit cards ended up with Visa and MasterCard logos on them, effectively making those networks our de-facto national debit networks. As a result, US stores basically had to accept credit as well as debit cards and had to pay high rates to accept them.

Anyway, the Durbin amendment fixed that for debit but our liability laws make it so that it's still a good idea to use credit cards when possible. Hence why Walmart's still fighting against card fees even now.

20. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

Cinnabon is GOOOOOD although i don't eat them very often...Dominos....no thanks

21. SlipperySlop Suspended

Thanks for the lecture and your concern. Now I feel like having a pizza for dinner. I think it will be Domino's.

22. Joe Rossignol, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Chevron Debuts Apple Pay Gasoline Pump Pilot Program in Bay Area http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/14/chevron-gas-apple-pay-pilot-program/

P.S. Here's a look at tap-to-pay at Canada gas stations. Don't think too many will support AMEX unfortunately.

article_large.jpg

23. tmiw macrumors 68000

If it was just about the fees, Walmart would have gone debit/cash only like Arco and a few other places. CurrentC's a thing because it would enable a massive non-consensual data grab, something which NFC wouldn't allow.

24. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

microaggression......

hahahahahahaha:D:D:D:D

25. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

We have Sheetz gas stations in my area and they accept NFC payments at the pump. Have yet to use it because we have a corporate credit card with them that is (ironically) not compatible with Apple Pay yet but I'm hoping it will be soon.