Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting with iOS 16, iPadOS 16, macOS Ventura, and watchOS 9, Apple Pay will allow users to pay multiple merchants in a single transaction within supported apps. Apple says this feature will let users make a bundled purchase, such as a travel package with flights, a rental car, and a hotel room, all in a single Apple Pay payment sheet.

apple-pay-bundled-purchases.jpg

Apple Pay has also received a redesign on macOS Ventura, with the payment sheet now looking similar to the one on iOS 15 and later.

apple-pay-macos-ventura.jpg

As we previously reported, Apple Pay on iOS 16 is also gaining detailed receipts and order tracking information for Apple Pay transactions in the Wallet app. In addition, a new Apple Pay Later option will let customers split a purchase into four equal payments over six weeks, with no interest or fees to pay, according to Apple.

iOS 16, iPadOS 16, macOS Ventura, and watchOS 9 are currently in beta for developers and will be released to all users in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Pay to Support Bundled Purchases, Receives Redesign on macOS Ventura

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Cool. Now we just need a Wallet app for the Mac. I get that you can't go around paying for things with the Mac, but why not let people manage saved and look over transactions on the Mac? I don't see the downside, especially now that the Mac has good biometrics. I find it especially galling I can't really manage my Apple Card on my Mac.

(Venmo sucks at this too -- you can no longer do anything on their website and are forced to use a phone. It's so frustrating and dumb to be forced to use a tiny handheld device when you're sitting in front of a big screen and keyboard.)

Last edited:

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I can’t even remember the last time I used a physical card. Apple Pay is this good.
I wish that were the case here. Kroger is still a hold out. (Our closest Kroger still hasn't even updated to terminals that support NFC, though some have and just don't support it.) And gas pumps are hit and miss whether they have NFC readers.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
I wish that were the case here. Kroger is still a hold out. (Our closest Kroger still hasn't even updated to terminals that support NFC, though some have and just don't support it.) And gas pumps are hit and miss whether they have NFC readers.
Yup, not an expert, but in my experience here in Europe it just works reliably everywhere.

Reactions: jhfenton

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Cool. Now we just need a Wallet app for the Mac. I get that you can't go around paying for things with the Mac, but why not let people manage saved and look over transactions on the Mac? I don't see the downside, especially now that the Mac has good biometrics. I find it especially galling I can't really manage my Apple Card on my Mac.

(Venmo sucks at this too -- you can no longer do anything on their website and are forced to use you phone. It's so frustrating and dumb to be forced to use a tiny handheld device when you're sitting in front of a big screen and keyboard.)
A Wallet app for Mac would be terrific, especially for managing Apple Card. There's so many times I would prefer seeing my dynamic security code without pulling my phone out. Plus, having an ability to view more screens in one frame would be welcome.

The Wallet app hangs up rather often on the Apple Card screens unfortunately, at least for me. Guess we need Metal 3 to load it!

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Kroger, Walmart, Home Depot, and several other large companies have actively refused and will never support it. The first two have implemented their own QR based system. Home Depot just wants your phone number to spam you.

These companies will never support it because they want to mine the payment data for themselves.

This is America.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
These companies will never support it because they want to mine the payment data for themselves.

The payment method doesn't really matter in some cases.
Kroger, for instance, has conditioned me to always log in with my kroger phone/account number to get the best prices.

How I pay makes no difference, as they know what I bought every time as a result of the club card login.

Honestly I don't mind, as they send me relevant coupons and cash back cards -- and it gives discounts on gas (for our one remaining non EV)

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Kroger, for instance, has conditioned me to always log in with my kroger phone/account number to get the best prices.

How I pay makes no difference, as they know what I bought every time as a result of the club card login.

Honestly I don't mind, as they send me relevant coupons and cash back cards -- and it gives discounts on gas (for our one remaining non EV)
For Kroger yes I don't mind either for the reasons you mention.

But it's more than just your purchase history. Your card number can tie you across stores for more valuable marketing data. Apple Pay hides the actual number specifically to protect against tracking.

Look back at about 2014 I think when this all started in earnest. Remember the Telco cartel's ISIS? Not as evil as the organization that took that same name (and of course the cartels rebranded and then abandoned the idea) but still evil because it was another attempt by the cartel to control people, this time by attempting to own payments.

Eventually everyone but the biggest corporations caved and now we can use Apple / Google pay everywhere except the places that are still trying to keep that control.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Kroger, Walmart, Home Depot, and several other large companies have actively refused and will never support it. The first two have implemented their own QR based system. Home Depot just wants your phone number to spam you.

This is America.
Yeah. I refuse to use any payment method that involves QR codes. If I have to pull out my phone and open an app, it's just easier to pull out my credit card. I like ApplePay because I have an AppleWatch and don't have to pull my phone out (or even carry it).

Same. I also key in our former home phone number that has served as our Kroger Plus number forever. I don't care if the store keeps track of our household purchases with them. But I would prefer that it not be easily tied across stores.

Walgreens is the only store I use that has made it really convenient to be tracked. ;) I basically ApplePay twice, the first time hits the Walgreens card in the Wallet app so they can identity me and the second time pays. Besides coupons and rewards, it knows to automatically email receipts to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.