Apple Pay. Used it yet?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TangoCharlie27, Sep 24, 2015.

1. TangoCharlie27 macrumors member

I chose to fill up my car at BP. Walked to the cashier and mentioned Apple Pay and he just stared blankly! To be fair, he didn't speak good English and I was probably a little too expectant that I could pay for my diesel using my watch!
    Any other Apple Pay experiences?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I use it all the time at locations that take it.

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I use it all the time. It is excellent, especially with the watch.

4. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Our local grocery store chain (Haggen's) accepts Apple Pay. I use my watch to pay for groceries roughly twice a week. It's awfully convenient to be able to use my watch for my grocery list (I use the Bring app) and Apple Pay. I never have to get my iPhone or my wallet out! I would say though that the grocery app on the watch is the bigger convenience. I no longer have to carry my iPhone as I'm shopping. Apple Pay just saves me from having to get my wallet out, which isn't that big a deal. So while Apple Pay is nice, it ranks pretty low in the list of all the convenient things I use my Apple Watch for.

Sean

5. deadandalive macrumors member

deadandalive

I gave up using Apple Pay on my iPhone a while ago. It worked pretty good at Walgreens and Staples but fails most of the time at McDonalds (although that usually seems to be the employees not knowing what the hell they are doing).

I was at Trader Joes last night and saw the Apple Pay logo on the Card Swiper machine, so I decided to try the Watch. Worked smooth enough but there was a lot of steps - basically everything you normally do with a Debit Card except the actual swiping still had to be done).

Seems to work better on the Watch than on the Phone, so I will probably try it again

6. cdavis11 macrumors 6502

I've used ApplePay several times with the watch at Panera, Walgreens and McDonalds. I think i've been going to Walgreens more often just to use it!

I'd love to see Target adopt support - I had read a while back that once they're done rolling out chip&pin Apple Pay support may be coming.

7. thedoc46 macrumors member

Asked in Walmart if they took apple pay, the lady thought i was asking if they sold apple pie !

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Target & Walmart are both pushing CurrentC-- a direct competitor to Apple Pay.

9. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

I use it wherever I can. It's more convenient with the watch.

10. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Just say Contactless - it's a lot easier... They will still stare at you when you pay with a watch but the transaction goes through and they're left with the confused look...!

11. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Apple Pay is best single feature of the watch. Better than the iPhone since sometimes the iPhone fails to read the fingerprint. Had 100% success with the watch everyplace I've used it.

12. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I use ApplePay on my watch. Before that I would use the phone. The watch is more convenient because you don't have to take anything out of your pocket. It's gotten to the point that I can leave my wallet and keys at home if I go out for a walk outside in my neighborhood (I also have the Kevo lock).

13. CarlJ macrumors 68000

CarlJ

I've used it numerous times at RiteAid, PetCo, and the Apple Store. At the first two, I find I need to wait until the little blue "run your card now" marquee lights are going on the terminal,mbut then it works every time. Tonight, on the way out of a mall, I was quite thirsty, I walked past a vending machine, noticed that its bill reader had the NFC symbol, held my wrist up and double-tapped and boom :)

14. TheAnimal macrumors member

Has anyone successfully used Apple Pay in conjunction with a rewards card? Yesterday, I made a purchase at Walgreens using Apple Pay on my watch. I thought it would automatically pull up my rewards card but it didn't. The transaction went through without my rewards card being processed. Any idea the "proper" way to do this?

15. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I use it on the watch whenever I can. Used it at the grocery store right after I got it, and the cashier freaked out! :D

16. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

I think there is either terminal upgrades or something the retailer has to do. Then I could ditch my waitrose and Costa cards here in the UK for a start!

17. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I use it whenever I see it - I'll also hold up my phone next to unmarked terminals and see if they take it.

18. Neo1975 macrumors regular

Costa card is available on the Watch.

19. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Yeah sorry I meant as a reward card, i.e. Just pay by Apple Pay and it adds the reward point to my Costa card.

20. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I use it at the store I do 90% of my shopping at- Meijer. Very convenient, especially with the Watch. Tim Hortons, despite not being an official Apple Pay supporter and having archaic NFC POS terminals (probably the first ones ever invented by the looks of it lol), works with Apple Pay very well!

Also, because I almost always wake up late for class, I usually forget my wallet. Apple Pay has been a life saver with the NFC vending machines!

21. Within Reason macrumors newbie

Within Reason

You can. Add the Costa app to your phone then add the Costa card to your wallet. It's then available on your watch.

Waiting in line, I open Wallet on the watch and go to my costa card. Scan the watch's costa barcode on their laser scanner, double tap the side button on the watch then pay with Apple Pay.

22. TangoCharlie27 thread starter macrumors member

Yay!!! Used it today in Boots. Had a little trouble navigating my wrist to the machine but the purchase went through.
    Can anyone please tell me where it is recorded on the watch or the iPhone? Lots of info about a Passbook on the net but my iPhone hasn't got Passbook.

23. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Transactions aren't recorded anywhere for any of my cards when I pay with my watch. I think some cards record it on the phone, but they're the exception.

24. KennyBoo macrumors newbie

At work our vending machine accepts Apple Pay and a lady asked if I had change for a $5 which I didn't. She wanted a bag of chips, so I said watch this. Double clicked my friend button, scanned watch, pressed F2 and her chips came down. She was freaking out! She said "I've seen it all now" lol made my day lol.

25. deany macrumors 68020

deany

You do know you dont need the iphone for it to work?

I love apple pay & 100% feel it is the future, but not everywhere takes it as of now. Any news on Tesco's terminals outside of London?

Cheers