Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
Apple fans: we want higher spec’d MacBook Pros at a lower price point with a longer battery life, better keyboard, and ports, refreshed Mac Pros, refreshed Mac Minis, more useful and ergonomic magic mice.
Apple: ok. Here’s a tv show where we are overpaying actresses and actors.

Reactions: WWPD

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
While female actors deserve the same pay as a male actor, no actor deserves that kind of money. Lets get a little perspective. Actors don't really do not work that many hours or contribute that much to the product to deserve such high salaries compared to other employees working on the project. There are many people involved in the creation of a show/movie. Most of them work year round, many of them more than 60 hours a week. the majority of the production time, the actors are standing or sitting around waiting for the sets and camera work to be prepared.
If you replace the word actor with CEO, the statement would still hold true.

Reactions: CarlJ

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Well, I suppose you have to blow your cash somehow.
Well, it is large sums being paid by Apple to US citizens within US borders, so people should be happy abut that, right? ;)
[doublepost=1516252591][/doublepost]
I wish Apple had just stuck to making best-in-class software that runs on great hardware.

I have yet to hear a single person say, "You have to check out this awesome show on Apple Music!" (which sounds like a stupid thing to say, to begin with.)
I would like Apple to do (much) better with their hardware and software. I don't expect the people running these shows are interchangeable with the hardware and software designers.

I haven't heard anyone recommend an Apple show yet either (they've had a couple boring shows with high production values - one could argue they were little more than test runs, debugging the process). I think we're seeing a bunch of things in the pipeline that Apple hopes will change that so that a year from now people will be recommending Apple shows. More sci-fi from Ron Moore could be a good thing, for example. HBO and Netflix have shown a format that clearly works (get seriously great people and give them a pile of money to make no-expense-spared, really compelling shows, at about 12 episodes a year - a bit more like a high-end miniseries than typical television), and Apple clearly has the deep pockets to afford to do that, if they can secure the right talent (producers, writers, show runners, etc.).

osang

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015
With Tim Cook's salary plus thousands of workers and these two actors, no wonder Apple's gadgets, computers are expensive.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Could not care how much they are paid, will it be crap is my concern ? Really sound like Apple is just throwing cash around while the problem is ..... as has been, since Steve left us, product vision . Money and lots of it , does not get you a premium quality product ...... that Apple is doing here .... I keep thinking they will produce content like Bright by Netflix.
[doublepost=1516259542][/doublepost]
With Tim Cook's salary plus thousands of workers and these two actors, no wonder Apple's gadgets, computers are expensive.

Ha ha . Our stuff is just expansive to pay for Angela ;) Tim is cheap in comparison.

Reactions: HacKage

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
While female actors deserve the same pay as a male actor, no actor deserves that kind of money. Lets get a little perspective. Actors don't really do not work that many hours or contribute that much to the product to deserve such high salaries compared to other employees working on the project. There are many people involved in the creation of a show/movie. Most of them work year round, many of them more than 60 hours a week. the majority of the production time, the actors are standing or sitting around waiting for the sets and camera work to be prepared.
Welcome to the real world capitalism. People don't earn what they deserve, they earn what they negotiate and what the market offers to pay.

Reactions: motulist

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
Have faith! Perhaps their boss character in this production will be a black homosexual in a wheelchair.

Oh yeah dud I thought in Daryl Mitchell too. We just need the female now.
[doublepost=1516289641][/doublepost]
I think the highest paid actor on tv is the Big Bang Theory dude with 1 mio per Ep so they actually make more than the avg male actor

All da ppl i could help with 1 mio bucks dud life it’s unfair if u ask me

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Apple is so out of touch with what people want.
Everybody loves Jennifer Aniston, and Little Big Lies is massively popular, so I'd argue that Apple are trying to tap in to exactly what people want! Even more so when you consider the added focus at the moment on female lead content, this is a good way for Apple to break some of the male-centric stereotypes that come with being a tech company.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
The problem is, less and less people can "pay for the entertainment". It can easily cost over $300 for a family of four to park and go watch a baseball or football game. Why are ticket prices so high? Could it be to pay the ridiculously high salaries?
If every game is sold out and people are griping that they couldn't get tickets then an economist would argue that the tickets are underpriced! Think about it, if even 1% of the US population is willing and able to pay the price on a weekly basis then that's 3.3MM people to fill 1 - 1.5MM seats (I don't know what the total capacity of all the NFL stadiums and MLB ball fields is). Why would the NFL/MLB worry about the other 99%. Take the ~$75/person figure it costs and assume there are 1MM seats available each weekend, that's $75MM/week just from the people attending the games, multiply by the length of the season, add merchandising, licensing fees etc... and of course the players want a 'fair' cut of the money. After all if they don't play nobody pays to watch, and they have to make their money in a relatively short period of time.

On a tangent, if you can come up with an idea that 1% of the US population would happily pay $5/month for you've got yourself a $200MM/year idea! Do you care that that the other 99% can't/won't pay for it?

jgdeschamps

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012

The same applies for NFL players, athletes, F1 drivers, etc. In the end, their face is the one that brings money to the table in regards of public attraction/interest. Not John Doe's work on color correction, or Pete Peterson's really good Gatorade blend for a game's break.
Also, if you read the article, Reese Witherspoon is actually putting her money in those show productions, so she deserves additional money back for her investments on what she knows how to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.