Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Anyone have the part number for the above cable. Just got a 1tb HDD model 2014 and have a couple of MacBook pcie blade ssd 's spare. Would like to use one to make a fusion drive. Just missing the flex cable.

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
I'd be happy to ship, maybe more cost effective for you to purchase locally though ?

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
Probably would be more cost effective to get it locally. Anyway, in accordance with your original post, I'm looking for that cable/adapter as well. There's a picture showing what it looks like on OWC's site: http://blog.macsales.com/27127-owcs-teardown-of-the-new-2014-mac-mini-with-fusion-drive.

mini_unbox_17.jpg

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
yep, thanks.. I had seen that and someone suggested a part number but that part number looks like it firs the SATA type SSD not the PCIe .. Hmm

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
presumably with that part number, one could have up to 1TB of PCIe flash storage AND a 2TB 2.5" SATA HDD without reaching any limitations ?

or a mac mini spec'd with PCIe storage also comes with the bracket for a HDD to slot straight in?

Jonathan

Newfiebill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
Easy PCIe Install

If I ordered the 5400RPM HDD version, it looks to me like the addition and installation of a 256 Blade could be done without pulling the board if we can get our hands on that PCIe cable.

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
I can confirm , after looking in mine, you should definitely be able to do the above without removing the board .. (I really neeeeeed that cable ! :) )

Newfiebill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
Excellent!

I can confirm , after looking in mine, you should definitely be able to do the above without removing the board .. (I really neeeeeed that cable ! :) )

Well that is good news, I am sure that OWC will have a Mac Mini 2014 PCIe upgrade kit in short order.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Well that is good news, I am sure that OWC will have a Mac Mini 2014 PCIe upgrade kit in short order.

in that case all we need is cable and some holding mechanism.. one can buy blade SSDs on ebay (128GB for some good price)...

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Part Number

Part Number looks like 821-00010-A , anyone know who would supply me one in the UK ? or anywhere even..

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I have ordered the above cable (They put it on the sytem for me when I made an enquiry) I will let you know when I receive it ..

Please, let us know for sure, I have same plan, buy with spinner and add own ssd:)

maximage77

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
I have ordered the above cable (They put it on the sytem for me when I made an enquiry) I will let you know when I receive it ..

Have done the same, hope it's the right cable given the $. There will no doubt be 101 sellers out there shortly for a heap less.

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Have done the same, hope it's the right cable given the $. There will no doubt be 101 sellers out there shortly for a heap less.

When I was attempting to source the cable I came Across a company in China , that offered to re-produce a "copy" of the cable , if they had access to a sample / detailed info on pin connections etc. So I'm sure your right.. I had considered taking them up on their offer and doing a "Group Buy" , but not too sure on how much demand there would be for this item, given you need the Apple specific SSD and have spec'd a mac with no SSD in it to begin with..

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
so, was anyone able to add flass SSD into new mini that was ordered with only 5400rpm disk?

maximage77

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
but not too sure on how much demand there would be for this item, given you need the Apple specific SSD and have spec'd a mac with no SSD in it to begin with..

Be interesting to see how many do what I did and use it as a good excuse to upgrade another machine. I bought a 1TB stick to upgrade my MBP and will move the 512 from that down to the Mac Mini, and have already upgraded Minis the spinner to a 2TB, so will be 2.5TB Fusion in the end.

uoduckies

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2009
Does anyone know, if you order a 2014MM with the PCIe installed instead of the HD, is that bay just wide open? In theory, you could just order the Ifixit kit and install the cable and HD, retaining the PCIe (if no immediate upgrade is offered).

Agent47

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2014
Does anyone know, if you order a 2014MM with the PCIe installed instead of the HD, is that bay just wide open? In theory, you could just order the Ifixit kit and install the cable and HD, retaining the PCIe (if no immediate upgrade is offered).

Yes, the bay is wide open and does not include any hardware or SATA flex cable to connect a hard drive. The ifixit teardown page has a reply from someone who appears to be from ifixit and verified the SATA cable they sell from the 2012 Mini does indeed work. Says they are working on a complete kit with the tools and hardware as well. The TR6 driver seems to be the issue. My tech toolkit happened to have one, and they are available from other sources.

I have a 2TB drive I'm hoping to install in there.

Last edited:

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Yes, the bay is wide open and does not include any hardware or SATA flex cable to connect a hard drive. As soon as ifixit and others sell the parts, we should be good to go. There are some that believe the existing 2012 Mini SATA cable works in the 2014 Mini; I have not ordered one yet to verify that claim.

One would have to take a rough measurement of where the upper bay SATA plug is based on photos of both versions. From the picture posted it looks like it might be close. The frame appears to have the same or similar mounting holes for the HDD grommets and screws.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.