Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbinch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I'm new to the ipad and forum too. My issue with my ipad and pencil led me here.
My ipad pro 12.9 3rd gen is 5 days old and pencil is 3 days old.
When I received my pencil, I charged it to 100% and played with it. I put it back on my ipad pro, which is connected to the charger, when I'm done, and the next morning I was surprised to find the pencil battery indicated 0%.
I thought I made a mistake and made sure ipad pro is connected to charger and confirmed that the pencil has 100% charge before I went to bed that night. The next morning, pencil only got 28% of charge. It seems the pencil stops charging after some time it's attached to ipad because I didn't see the charging icon (little lightning next to battery icon) from the notification center. The battery icon for the ipad still had the charging icon next to it. Pencil started charging after detaching and re-attaching it to the ipad.
Bottom line: My apple pencil 2 looses charge when it's attached to ipad pro which is also connected to the charger. Does anyone have the same experience?

ChristianGGG

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2018
apple support suggested factory restore, so I'll see how it goes.
Restore of the whole IPad? Let me know if this solves the Problem.... I have over 100GB on my IPad and don‘t want to restore if it will not solve the issue. Thx

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Restore of the whole IPad? Let me know if this solves the Problem.... I have over 100GB on my IPad and don‘t want to restore if it will not solve the issue. Thx
Do a total backup to icloud, restore the iPad, then restore backed up data from icloud. All good.

sbinch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019

Unfortunately, it didn't work.
I also have checked when it stops charging. After a factory restore, I charged the pencil to 100%, connected ipad to the charger, and attached the pencil to the ipad. After 5-6 hours, the pencil stops charging. It doesn't resume charging even when I started using the ipad. I'm processing a refund. I'm not sure I even keep the ipad because pencil is the biggest reason to get the ipad pro.

sbinch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
ok, an update.
I got a second apple pencil and it seems working better, but not perfectly. The new pencil still stops charging at some point when it's on the ipad, but it retains charge much better than the first one. Something not expected from Apple...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.