Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
pressure sensitivity was released in 2015 and now 8 years later they release a new product without it, do you think that’s normal?
Well not every technology feature is (nor should be) included with every product just because it has existed for a long time. It will still add to cost to include it, so the decision has to be based on the targeted price of the product and whether the feature is necessary. I’m guessing for a lot of people who use their Pencil just for scrolling, signature, and occasional markups, pressure sensitivity is not necessary, so they’re happy to have a cheaper first party option.
Whether it’s cheap enough remains to be seen.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
pressure sensitivity was released in 2015 and now 8 years later they release a new product without it, do you think that’s normal?

Yes. The many people who don't need pressure sensitivity will only spend $79 instead of $99, roughly a 20% discount and savings.

If you need pressure sensitivity, simply purchase either of the two other models. It's not that difficult.

So many people here *assume* everyone needs the most feature laden and expensive model in an Apple product category.

That's a rather short-sighted perspective, believing everyone must be just like them with respect to needed features/performance/options.

rufwork

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
If you’re in the EU, buy the USB-C pencil. It’ll probably be the only one offered.

If you’re not, buy the non-USB-C one that works with your iPad…

UNLESS you have an old school iPad, plan to upgrade soon, and really really don’t want to buy a new pencil when you do. Then get USB-C.

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Choosing is actually quite easy.

If you have your iPad hindered in a keyboard case, you choose the this newest Pencil because you hardly use the Pencil; it is just for show.

If you use the iPad properly without the boring keyboard case, get the expensive Pencil.

It is probably safe to say a new Pencil Pro will soon be released to replace the current most expensive Pencil.

• Haha
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I'd love to see someone from Apple sit down and try make the consumer-focused argument for this cluttered, confusing accessory lineup (and iPad lineup for that matter).

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
I mean, it's really pretty simple.

Get Pencil (2nd generation) if your iPad supports it.

Otherwise, Pencil with USB-C if your iPad supports it.

Otherwise, get a used Pencil (1st generation), 3rd party, or save up for the new iPad.

Even simpler: Buy the 2nd gen pencil unless you own an ipad 10th gen. All other ipads with usb-c are compatible with the 2nd gen pencil. If you buy from apple, that is, because clearly we can get the exact same product for much less elsewhere just as long as it has no apple logo on it.

stainless

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Colorado
Its now a nightmare...

Apple... you only had to make one to rule them all... it's what you used to do!

Steve jobs famously dissed the stylus... and now the same company makes three of the damn things.. one is ancient, one is purposely restricted and the other is good/great, but not quite there.

Why?
It's even worse... None are actually made for the iPhone, only the iPad!

Reactions: Fuzzball84

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Even simpler: Buy the 2nd gen pencil unless you own an ipad 10th gen. All other ipads with usb-c are compatible with the 2nd gen pencil. If you buy from apple, that is, because clearly we can get the exact same product for much less elsewhere just as long as it has no apple logo on it.
Yeah I don't know why people are acting like this is confusing.

Buy the Pencil-1 if you have a Lightning iPad.

Buy the base Pencil if you have an iPad10 or you want to save $40

Otherwise, buy the Pencil-2.

Reactions: b17777

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Its now a nightmare...

Steve jobs famously dissed the stylus... and now the same company makes three of the damn things.. one is ancient, one is purposely restricted and the other is good/great, but not quite there.

Why?

Dissed for the iPhone.

"Why?"

Because an iPad is not an iPhone. Many people into illustration and graphic design using an iPad are not able to use fingers and thumb with sufficient precision. Thus a stylus for the iPad.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Its now a nightmare...

Why?
There is a difference between knowing something and understanding it.

Knowing: Steve Jobs was against a stylus.
Understanding: Steve Jobs was against them as the primary method of controlling the OS.

Steve Jobs loved art and calligraphy so there is no way he would be against the Apple Pencil as a creative tool.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Dissed for the iPhone.

"Why?"

Because an iPad is not an iPhone. Many people into illustration and graphic design using an iPad are not able to use fingers and thumb with sufficient precision. Thus a stylus for the iPad.
My why wasn’t referring to this… my why was referring to the mess of Apple pencils they created for themselves.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
There is a difference between knowing something and understanding it.

Knowing: Steve Jobs was against a stylus.
Understanding: Steve Jobs was against them as the primary method of controlling the OS.

Steve Jobs loved art and calligraphy so there is no way he would be against the Apple Pencil as a creative tool.
I think you misunderstood my post… I was comparing the fact that at one point in time that Apple didn’t see the need for a stylus and there was none available, and then when there was with advent of iPad... there was an abundance of them. But the way in which they have done this is at odds with Apples attention to detail and making things that just work.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think you misunderstood my post… I was comparing the fact that at one point in time that Apple didn’t see the need for a stylus and there was none available, and then when there was with advent of iPad... there was an abundance of them. But the way in which they have done this is at odds with Apples attention to detail and making things that just work.
Apple didn't want a stylus as the primary method of controlling the phone, but I agree that Apple could have planned the Pencils better.

Reactions: Fuzzball84

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
My why wasn’t referring to this… my why was referring to the mess of Apple pencils they created for themselves.

Different features at different price points. And introduced at different points in time. Consult the Pencil chart MR created if you're having difficulty understanding the differences.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Different features at different price points. And introduced at different points in time. Consult the Pencil chart MR created if you're having difficulty understanding the differences.
I’m having real problems understanding the range of pencils they have released. Please help me I’m stupid

What you fail to realize is that this MR post isn’t available in Apple stores or other places where people will buy.

It’s genuinely a bad situation regarding the Apple Pencil. A mess of their own making and it didn’t have to be this way.

They clearly have the money and people to get this right.. but look at it… it’s a hot mess.

Reactions: kalsta and krell100

krakenrelease

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
Reactions: klasma and lartola

hybrid_x

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
I cannot believe what a mess this is. First the 10th-generation iPad that is a bizarre mix of features and limitations, and now they introduce a THIRD pencil that adds USB-C but takes away pressure sensitivity. Why do we need THREE different stylus options? This is as much of a mess as the entire iPad product lineup. Three stylus options and five different iPad form factors?

Make it make sense, Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.