Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple now offers three different Apple Pencil models at $79, $99, and $129 price points, each with different feature sets. Our guide helps you decide which Apple Pencil is best for you.

Apple-Pencil-Buyers-Guide-Feature.jpg

Which Apple Pencil you should buy is firstly determined by which iPad model you have. Some iPad models are only compatible with one kind of Apple Pencil, while others are compatible with two. If your iPad model only supports one kind of Apple Pencil, your buying decision is straightforward. Use the table below to find out which Apple Pencil models your iPad supports:

Apple Pencil (first-generation, 2015)Apple Pencil (second-generation, 2018)Apple Pencil (USB-C, 2023)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (first- and second-generation)iPad Pro 12.9-inch (third-, fourth-, fifth-, and sixth-generation)iPad Pro 12.9-inch (third-, fourth-, fifth-, and sixth-generation)
iPad Pro 9.7-inch and 10.5-inchiPad Pro 11-inch (first-, second-, third-, and fourth-generation)iPad Pro 11-inch (first-, second-, third-, and fourth-generation)
iPad Air (third-generation)iPad Air (fourth- and fifth-generation)iPad Air (fourth- and fifth-generation)
iPad mini (fifth-generation)iPad mini (sixth-generation)iPad mini (sixth-generation)
iPad (sixth-, seventh-, eighth-, ninth-, and tenth-generation)iPad (tenth-generation)

Simply put, if your iPad features a Lightning connector, it is only compatible with the first-generation Apple Pencil, providing it has Apple Pencil support at all. It will not work with the second-generation Apple Pencil or the Apple Pencil with USB-C. If your iPad features a USB-C port, it is compatible with the second-generation Apple Pencil and the Apple Pencil with USB-C, except the tenth-generation iPad, which supports the first-generation Apple Pencil and the Apple Pencil with USB-C.

It is worth noting that the first-generation Apple Pencil is only compatible with the tenth-generation iPad using a USB-C cable and USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter. It is not possible to use the first-generation Apple Pencil this way with any other iPad model that has a USB-C port.

All three Apple Pencil models feature "pixel-perfect" precision, low latency, and tilt sensitivity, but feature different designs, pairing and charging methods, pressure sensitivity capabilities, and more.

Apple Pencil (first-generation, 2015)Apple Pencil (second-generation, 2018)Apple Pencil (USB-C, 2023)
Glossy finishMatte finishMatte finish
Weighted to prevent rollingFlat edge to prevent rolling and snap to the side of an iPadFlat edge to prevent rolling and snap to the side of an iPad
Attaches magnetically for storage, pairing, and chargingAttaches magnetically for storage
6.92-inch length6.53-inch length6.1-inch length
Removable capNon-removable sliding cap
Lightning connectorUSB-C port
Pair and charge via Lightning port or USB-C cable and USB-C to Apple Pencil AdapterPair and charge wirelesslyPair and charge via USB-C cable
Pressure sensitivityPressure sensitivity
Supports Apple Pencil hover on M2 iPad Pro modelsSupports Apple Pencil hover on M2 iPad Pro models
Double-tap to change tools
Free engraving option
$99$129$79

First-Generation Apple Pencil vs. Apple Pencil With USB-C

Most users should choose the Apple Pencil with USB-C. For a price of just $79, the Apple Pencil with USB-C provides a good balance of features with a more modern design. It also has the added advantage of being compatible with a wide range of models and will likely work with all new iPad models for many years to come.

It is only worth opting for the first-generation Apple Pencil if you specifically want pressure-sensitivity for activities like illustration, since the Apple Pencil with USB-C does not have this feature. Buyers should be aware that this model comes at a $20 premium, requires a USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter with the tenth-generation iPad, and will not be compatible with any future iPad models. It also cannot be magnetically attached to an iPad for storage, features a larger and older design, and has a removable cap over the Lightning connector that's easy to lose.

Second-Generation Apple Pencil vs. Apple Pencil With USB-C

If choosing between the second-generation Apple Pencil and the Apple Pencil with USB-C, the second-generation model is a better choice on account of its superior feature set, but this requires spending an additional $50. Double-tap to change tools and pressure-sensitivity may be particularly useful additions for illustrators, while the easy pairing and charging on the side of an iPad provides a much better experience than a wired connection with a USB-C cable.

If you have only basic needs for activities like handwriting notes and marking up documents, the Apple Pencil with USB-C is still a great option at a much more affordable price point. It even supports Apple Pencil hover on the latest iPad Pro models.

Article Link: Apple Pencil Buyer's Guide: Which Model Should You Choose?

Last edited:

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
Apologies to the writers and editors here, they’re just doing their job.

But the fact we’re having a debate about what the best stylus is instead of what the best new iPad is is to me a huge indictment on Tim Apple and his leadership of this company.

They’ve missed product deadlines, half-baked some products, poor software quality. But, if you don’t care about Apple’s customers and only care about shareholder $$$$, then I guess he’s a great CEO, right?

End rant.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
Its now a nightmare...

Apple... you only had to make one to rule them all... it's what you used to do!

Steve jobs famously dissed the stylus... and now the same company makes three of the damn things.. one is ancient, one is purposely restricted and the other is good/great, but not quite there.

Why?

Last edited:

3xBoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2020
+----------------------+ | iPad Type | +----------------------+ | +----------------+----------------+ | | +-------------------+ +-------------------+ | Lightning Port | | USB-C Port | +-------------------+ +-------------------+ | | +----------+-------------+ +--------+---------+--------+ | | | | | | +---------------------+ +---------------------+ +------------+ +---------------------+ | 1st Gen Apple Pencil| | No Apple Pencil | | 2nd Gen | | Apple Pencil with | | (If supported) | | Support | | Apple Pencil| | USB-C | +---------------------+ +---------------------+ +------------+ +---------------------+ | | +---------+-----------+ | | +--------------+ +--------------+ | 10th Gen | | All Other | | iPad (USB-C) | | iPads (USB-C)| +--------------+ +--------------+ | | +---------+---------+ +--------+--------+ | | | | +----------------+ +-------------------+ +-------------+ | 1st Gen Apple | | 2nd Gen Apple | | Apple Pencil | | Pencil | | Pencil | | with USB-C | +----------------+ +-------------------+ +-------------+

Edit: the stupid formatting here is ruining the joke! Too lazy to gif it.

Last edited:

karranz

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
this is the company that used to have one or two products for a whole category, they used to know the product and the customer so much that they were sure that the new version would hit in every spot, old models were retired on the spot. Now we have 3 different versions of a ***** pencil.

Last edited:

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
+----------------------+ | iPad Type | +----------------------+ | +----------------+----------------+ | | +-------------------+ +-------------------+ | Lightning Port | | USB-C Port | +-------------------+ +-------------------+ | | +----------+-------------+ +--------+---------+--------+ | | | | | | +---------------------+ +---------------------+ +------------+ +---------------------+ | 1st Gen Apple Pencil| | No Apple Pencil | | 2nd Gen | | Apple Pencil with | | (If supported) | | Support | | Apple Pencil| | USB-C | +---------------------+ +---------------------+ +------------+ +---------------------+ | | +---------+-----------+ | | +--------------+ +--------------+ | 10th Gen | | All Other | | iPad (USB-C) | | iPads (USB-C)| +--------------+ +--------------+ | | +---------+---------+ +--------+--------+ | | | | +----------------+ +-------------------+ +-------------+ | 1st Gen Apple | | 2nd Gen Apple | | Apple Pencil | | Pencil | | Pencil | | with USB-C | +----------------+ +-------------------+ +-------------+
Can you develop this into an App, so I can input all of the required parameters, then it can calculate the correct stylus or styli for me?

Attirex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
When a behind of the scenes book is written about this time period in Apple, the Pencil matrix/comparison chart will be featured prominently as a big ole red flag that Apple learned nothing, and promptly returned to 1990s product line bloat.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
this is the company that used to have one or two products for a whole category, they used to know the product and the customer so much that they were sure that the new version of a product would hit in every spot, old models were retired on the spot. Now we have 3 different versions for a ***** pencil.
To be "fair", Apple product categories back in the mid-1990s to somewhere in the early 2000s was a total mess. It first began with having too many LCs, Centris, Quadras, and Performas. Then, it became even more confusing with Mac clones though one could argue the clone issue is not an Apple thing. The iPad and Pencil lineup definitely feels we're back in those times.

Any name

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2023
Apologies to the writers and editors here, they’re just doing their job.

But the fact we’re having a debate about what the best stylus is instead of what the best new iPad is is to me a huge indictment on Tim Apple and his leadership of this company.

They’ve missed product deadlines, half-baked some products, poor software quality. But, if you don’t care about Apple’s customers and only care about shareholder $$$$, then I guess he’s a great CEO, right?

End rant.
Back in the 2005-2010, I used to live looking forward for September to come with a new operating system which would fix all the bugs and nuisances I had discovered while using the OS.

Nowadays, I'm just looking forward to the CEO upgrade so there are, finally, fewer products on the catalogue.

• Love
Reactions: krell100 and Huck

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
It appears that Apple's innovation has slowed down so much so that it can't find things to sell much anymore to keep itself and the shareholders happy. There's only so much it can push technology year by year.
Better to go back and focus on QA issues, like fixing iOS so it's less buggy.

The Apple pencil 2 does go on sale at times in the year to ~$99 or so, better to get that than the pencil 1.5 or whatever Apple decides to call it.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
So I have a iPad mini 5 and this confusing mess means I don’t need a pencil. I have always found the most accurate pointing device is my fingers.

Reactions: Huck

deebinem

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Speaking of which, anyone looking for a lightly used 2nd Gen now that I traded in my iPad Pro for a Macbook?

Something tells me I should buy another one and wait until Vision Pro comes out so I can use them as VR chopsticks with double tap to select wasabi...

• Haha
Reactions: Huck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.