Apple Pencil owners: do you use the adapter?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rogifan, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I've had my Apple Pencil for about a month now and I haven't once used the adapter. When I need to charge the Pencil I just stick it in the lightening port and rest the cap on the iPad's bezel where the magnets hold it in place. I know a lot of tech sites made fun of that charging solution but for me it's been incredibly convenient and the adapter is sitting in the box along with the spare pencil tip.

2. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I've used it once or twice, but it's a lot easier/more intuitive to just plug it into the iPad for a few minutes to charge it up. It takes such a small amount of time to charge to 100% that plugging it in anywhere else seems unnecessary.

3. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Will be getting my pencil in the mail on Monday but I don't think I would want to dedicated an entire lightning cable + area to just charging the pencil. Would seem much easier to just plug it into the iPad when I'm not using it for however long it takes. How long does it take to charge to full anyway? If it's less than the time it is for me to take a shower, then charging through the iPad is definitely a non issue

4. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Like ten minutes.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

6. the future macrumors 6502a

At home I always use the adapter and put the Pencil on the iPhone dock. Looks almost like they were made for each other.

7. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Thats my point. It's so easy to plug right into the iPad. It might look kind of dorky and Gizmodo might make fun of it but it really is convenient.

8. mpetrides macrumors member

I plug my Pencil into the wall using the adapter and an old iPad AC adapter/lightning cable every night. My IPP gets plugged into the AC adapter that came with it every night. That way, Instart each day with a fully charged IPP and Pencil.

9. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

i put the pencil on its own port on the powered hub nightly. i have not put it on the ipad pro yet.

10. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

I have done both equally. I have a lightning cable that I leave the adaptor on permanently, which I keep in my iPP messenger bag.

11. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

12. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

Works very well!.

13. hovscorpion12, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016

hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

If both my iPad Pro and Pencil happen to need to be charged then I'll plug them both in otherwise I'll plug in my pencil to the iPad's lightning connector

14. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

I too charge via the Pro itself, haven't removed adapter from box. The pencil charges "lightning" fast,
    It may look funny but I love the convenience of plugging right into IPP.

15. bensisko macrumors 65816

Yep, I charge both the iPad and the Pencil at night. I do have to charge the pencil during the day using the iPad as well.

Weird thing is, occasionally, when using the adaptor I have to then plug it into the iPad to sync before it'll work.

16. friedmud macrumors 65816

I have a dedicated cable I keep the adapter on right next to my iPad/iPhone (combo) dock. At night I set the iPad on the dock and plug the pencil in next to it.

I think there will be a lot of cool Apple Pencil docks that come out over the next year or so... I want one that looks like an old fashioned ink well :)

17. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Yes to the adaptor. I tried plugging it into my devices experimentally – and I really appreciate that it provides peace of mind for those moments of limited access to power – but that's about it. I think I tend to let my devices discharge most of the way, then give them a refreshing, proper charge at intervals.

18. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I actually use my iPhone to charge the pencil more than the iPP or the adapter. You can still track the pencil charge % on the iPP while charging on the phone.

19. digitalbreak macrumors newbie

digitalbreak

Use iPad Pro to charge. I mean, this thing charges so quickly you dont need an adapter or charge it overnight.

20. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

Wtf? There's an adapter?!?

21. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

^^^ Hope you're joking, but if not...check your box, the Pencil comes with an adapter and a spare tip.

22. Precision Gem macrumors 6502

Precision Gem

I use the adapter. I have a cable attached to my iMac with the adapter in it. The pencil charges fully in just a few minutes this way. On the road, I won't bother taking it, and will charge the pencil from the iPad.

23. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

dorkiness and convenience are not mutually exclusive. Very un-Apple like though.

24. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

Mine didn't! The box was small enough to hold only the pencil. If there was an adapter tucked in a hidden compartment, it's already at the city dump :(

25. gr2020 macrumors member

This is a great idea - I can't believe I never thought of this!